Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 26

Author Topic: Applepocalypse  (Read 41717 times)

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Applepocalypse
« Reply #340 on: April 22, 2011, 03:45:20 AM »

"Windows Phone Tracking Its One User"

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #342 on: April 26, 2011, 11:29:09 AM »

Hm.  While I spend most of my time booted to Linux, I DO boot to Snow now and again, and while my location data isn't exactly an effective means of tracking my movements (it's a desktop computer; the location data will show that it is sitting in my house), it's still something I didn't authorize.

So I'm guessing I'll have settlement money coming my way within the next year or two.

And so will everyone who installed iTunes or Quicktime on their Windows machine and got Safari with it.  :whoops:

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 26, 2011, 01:47:31 PM »

Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 26, 2011, 03:36:54 PM »

It's probably buried somewhere in the EULA.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: April 26, 2011, 05:09:51 PM »

I am quite happy to lose out on my anticipated $6.47 settlement cheque, in exchange for never having had Safari/itunes on my computer.

EDIT: Oh wait, there was that one time I temporarily installed itunes so I could give my friend a bunch of my music. Maybe I can have the best of both worlds!

Cait

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 26, 2011, 07:36:45 PM »

It's probably buried somewhere in the EULA.

Isn't it still disputed whether EULAs are considered a valid form of consent? Especially sealed-box EULAs.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #347 on: April 26, 2011, 09:21:45 PM »

There are people who actually read the things.  I think if it were in there somebody would have noticed it before now.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 26, 2011, 10:00:25 PM »

A little bit about it was slipped into the EULA with a one of the earlier critical iOS 4 patches.  Probably shortly after consolidated.db was relocated to the part of memory that any app can see and access, since iOS 3 didn't keep the file in as accessible a part of the file system.  Prior to that, no, there was nothing in the EULA.

I don't buy Apple products for personal use.  How feasible is it to never update the OS, given how you're leashed to iTunes?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #349 on: April 27, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »

Well, Apple's support cycle is a lot shorter than MS's, but Snow Leopard was a comparatively minor update and I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people still using Leopard.  (There probably aren't very many using Tiger anymore, but it should still be functional too.)

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 27, 2011, 10:07:49 AM »

I meant on mobile devices.

Esperath

• chesse nab
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 27, 2011, 12:24:53 PM »

Thanks for your signature.

Perfect summary.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #353 on: April 27, 2011, 12:45:57 PM »

I meant on mobile devices.

Hm.  Well, I don't know for sure, but my understanding is older-model iOS devices (first-gen iPhones, etc.) don't support the newest versions of iOS but still run.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 27, 2011, 01:00:51 PM »

Honestly, that ruling seems to be more "You can't get around the arbitration agreement you signed by joining a class action", which is good law.  The problem, which wasn't the issue in this case, is the validity of mandatory arbitration agreements as a whole for consumer products, and that's a much bigger and entirely different battle.  Probably one that needs to be fought in the legislative arena, not the courtroom.

Anyway.  If I had an iPhone 4 with whatever the current version of iOS is, and an update was put out that was compatible with my phone, can I plug in and sync and do all that shit you have to do to manage an iPhone without ever accepting the update?  It doesn't really matter, adding "you consent to being tracked" language to your EULA with a hotfix is shitty no matter what, but I'm curious.

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 27, 2011, 02:40:09 PM »

yes. I'm jailbroken so I don't update firmware etc. but i can still sync and everything

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 27, 2011, 08:05:42 PM »

Honestly, that ruling seems to be more "You can't get around the arbitration agreement you signed by joining a class action", which is good law.  The problem, which wasn't the issue in this case, is the validity of mandatory arbitration agreements as a whole for consumer products, and that's a much bigger and entirely different battle.  Probably one that needs to be fought in the legislative arena, not the courtroom.

Don't worry, every corporation in the US is going to class action proof everything over the next month or two.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 27, 2011, 08:52:10 PM »

I guess this is a good thing in a way?

The faster that corporations drop the "lets fuck EVERYBODY over" curtain...

... the faster we get fucked.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 06, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 26