Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Author Topic: TF2 Is Serious Business  (Read 11876 times)

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
TF2 Is Serious Business
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 07:52:56 PM »

Can you guys have admins that aren't retarded?

Can we have some players that aren't retarded?
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
TF2 Is Serious Business
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 07:56:01 PM »

I think I'm going to change the MOTD soon to more accurately state the rules.

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
TF2 Is Serious Business
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 07:59:57 PM »

I know, it's in the rules that there can be micspam, I don't fucking care Niku.

DON'T FUCKING KICK ME FOR COMPLAINING ABOUT IT WHEN YOU'VE NEVER TOLD ME IT EVEN BUGS YOU ONCE AND FUCKING JOXAM JUST KICKED ME ALREADY JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE AN ADMIN AND YOU'RE ANNOYED.

OTHERWISE I WILL USE MY MOD POWERS TO MINORLY ANNOY YOU ON SOMETHING AS CLOSE TO AS UNIMPORTANT AS A TF2 SERVER AS I CAN FIND LIKE SAY, THESE BOARDS WHERE WE TALK ABOUT WHAT ANIME CHARACTER IS HOTTER AND EVERYONE SAYS BRIDGET!
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
TF2 Is Serious Business
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 08:02:38 PM »

Dude you got it backwards. Niku kicked you first, and then Joxam kicked you the second time.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
TF2 Is Serious Business
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 08:04:45 PM »

Well, I have to actually reiterate this since you deleted the posts where I explained it, and I'll try to do it through the actual fucking giggles you just gave me by getting CAPSLOCK SERIOUS UP IN HERE, but I didn't do shit to you after Joxam did anything.  I kicked you first, because you bitching about the server every single time you join it has gotten beyond tedious.  And then after that, Joxam, the person who owns the server, muted you when you continued to bitch.  You, instead of realizing that perhaps bitching constantly was not the answer, then took your bitching to the chatbox, and got kicked by Joxam again for your troubles.

I don't see what part of this is difficult to understand.

And honestly changing my posts to CSI Miami would be pretty funny if it wasn't coming on the heels of two other admins fucking with my posts in the last month or two, so just shit timing there.

James Edward Smith

• Tested
    • View Profile
TF2 Is Serious Business
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2010, 08:05:26 PM »

Dude you got it backwards. Niku kicked you first, and then Joxam kicked you the second time.

Well whatever, Niku is continuing being a dick about it.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
TF2 Is Serious Business
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2010, 08:06:47 PM »

I dunno, I was pretty happy to leave it in TF2.  B)

James Edward Smith

• Tested
    • View Profile
TF2 Is Serious Business
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2010, 08:09:05 PM »

I just can't understand why admins hate niku's posts so much!

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
TF2 Is Serious Business
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2010, 08:15:53 PM »

Too much truth being told, I guess.

Torgo

• Shtemloh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
TF2 Is Serious Business
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2010, 09:08:51 PM »

Serious Bidness going on in here, I see.

:popcorn:

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
Re: TF2 Is Serious Business
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2010, 02:18:08 AM »

All right. Now that everyone has said their piece, I'd like to add an 'official' statement. If anything we do over at ShMo can be called official that is...

I want all of you to want to play on the server. I will never be the first to call 'my server' and do something just because I want to. I believe that it should be run with the server as a whole in mind. I want everyone to have fun there.

Therein lies the problem.

The server is a public server, with a core group of a dozen or so board members, and another dozen or so non-board members that come there on, at the very least, a weekly basis. The server will always be a server whose first and foremost concern is to be a fun place for anyone here to pick up a nice game of TF 2 with no hassle, no bitching, and as little drama as possible. Of course, it is also a public server and must be run like one. There are (at least, we (the admins) thought so) clearly defined rules that any regular knows to follow*.

It is my and my admin's task to insure that there is nothing stopping our server from running smoothly, delivering everything from a server our base of users wants and doing what we deem necessary to maintain an attitude on our server that makes the game fun.

The fact that you complained about micspam wasn't the issue, Geo. The problem with your complaint was the very nature of the complaint.

Explaining to someone that you don't like their mic spam, or even that you don't want to hear any micspam, is MILES away from announcing loudly, to anyone on the server, that you're going to mute someone, that you've already muted two other regulars and generally just being a big tosser about the whole ordeal. I don't expect much class out of the people who make it a habit of joining my server, but at the very least, I expect them not to be douche bags.

So here is what happened, or at least, how Niku and I saw it happen. Note here that this train of thought is what we follow EVERY TIME we kick someone, no matter if they're regulars, #finalfight guys or some 11 year old pubbie who is micspamming terrible rap at twice hldj's audible range.

You came in, and almost immediately start bitching about how you were muting people**. Fine, have a kick. Now at this point, the kick is supposed to tell you that if you come back, you'd better not come back in the same manner. This initial kick is usually enough to do one of two things. The first is make most of the assholes stay gone, and the second is to make most of the people that do come back straighten up.

OK, so you came back. That's good! Have you learned? You immediately, before even picking a team, start bitching about getting kicked***. So, because you're a seasoned member and all around OK dude from the community, I just mute you. I figured you'd cool off and by next map you'd have your mutes on all the spammers straightened out so you'd have nothing to bitch about.

OK. Right here, this is when people generally need to realize its quiet time for them for a little while. I don't really mean anything bad by muting you, I just don't want to hear you bitch for the next five minutes about getting kicked for being a d-bag. However you continue to take your bitching to the text box! Your last line of actual attack. As, that is your last line of attack, it is also the last straw. Had you been any normal pubbie, you'd have been bitching about a temp ban and not getting kicked again.

Whew. That was long. OK. Now, what did that all mean? All it really meant was this. You got kicked because you were being a d-bag and (some would say more importantly) it would have happened to anyone. You came back, and immediately started in again. I muted you and you started in on the chat box. So I kicked you (and some would say you got off easy because you aren't just anyone).

All and all, I wanted you to come back and it was more of a good natured pulling your pants down to get your attention, as opposed to kicking you in the groin to hurt your feelings. However, if all you were going to do is come back and complain about being kicked again, I'm glad you yelled it out here and not there.

*Because it seems these rules are not clear enough. Smiler will be updating the MoTD to more accurately explain the 'Don't be a douche-bag' policy.

**You not only made sure to tell everyone that you were muting Niku, you went ahead and threw in the fact that you had a two other people muted also. Hey, we all know how much we love to hear that we're being muted by a friend and supposed server regular. Also. In the State of The Worst topic, Kazz told Niku just to mute you. I personally found it hilarious that he's giving Niku that advice and not you.

***The only thing thats going to get you kicked faster than being a douche-bag is bitching about getting kicked from the server as soon as you reconnect to it. What's the point? Are you defiant that you got kicked? Are you trying to prove that you're not going to take that shit unchecked? If you really wanted to know why you got kicked, like you'd claimed, asking would have been nice. You know, instead of just bitching at Niku for kicking you.

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2010, 07:38:34 AM »

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2010, 07:47:40 AM »

Why the fuck didn't you people say something to each other in-game or over chat instead of immediately kicking the guy I was talking to and then laughing about it.

This is the opposite of running a fun server. I remind you we went immediately back to not talking and listening to micspam music right after this. Apart from the occasional comment and me asking why you kicked Geo, this basically brought things from Potentially Fun Conversation right back to Business As Usual.

Not to imply I don't like just killing dudes in TF2 but if I wanted only that (and not the potential to chat with folks I know) I could go to any given pubbie server.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2010, 08:16:34 AM »

Kabbage fucking gets it.  I support ShMo because I want to play with and talk to people who are totally radical.  At this point, I'm unconcerned with whether some arbitrary member of our group meets everyone else's approval, and I get pissed when someone kicks them for personal reasons or lolz or whatever.

But going with that is my annoyance at constant micspam.  It's fun every now and then, but every now and then it's constant and kills conversation as nobody can hear game sounds or let alone each other.

And when it becomes a stream of constant micspam after micspam, that just tempts me more to go play Left 4 Friend.  I don't mind micspam all the time, but I think we can all reach an agreement that maybe sometimes the server is for chatting and not someone's personal jukebox.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2010, 08:32:44 AM »

Well, Starr re-encoded all our micspam songs so that they're now quiet enough that people can talk over them. I figured we were at least tolerable when people started singing along to Trigger Happy.

That said, if during the course of a night people want to give the micspam a rest for a while, just say so. I mean, I'll admit I get tired of the stuff myself if it's playing CONSTANTLY.

I think if we can all just agree that yeah, sometimes, we can give the micspam a break, then we'll be okay. It's not like the reverse is true, where any of us DESPERATELY CRAVE micspam at all possible times anyway.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2010, 09:44:32 AM »

I'm going to go ahead and say that I agree with Constantine here.

I agree with him for many reasons on many levels.

First of all, the 'niku hours' take away from giving someone else the chance at 'the mic' whether it be to communicate with someone else or to simply spam their own shit. Secondly. Niku, Doom, Bongobill, or Smiler might at some point make arguments about the superiority of their micspams, but in my personal opinion, its still just noise, mostly badly recorded, coming through the voice chat system, in a game I'm expected to co-ordinate with my team in using the same system you're spamming music over. I personally don't think we NEED a sound track for tf2 and I have my own problems with Disney half hour, the ever popular grief/victory tracks and other things that have become common place on the server.

The only thing I will say in defense of this, is, as an actual conversation (and if anyone argues that all the complaining one, or at the VERY most, I'd say up to THREE people on the server do REGULARLY about anything they choose, is actual conversation, my head will probably explode) about these things that you guys dislike about this server, this is the first time I've heard of it.

When we didn't like the stupid 'rocket packs and other stupid shit' mod, we removed them. We've added and removed a dozen or so mods to try and find fun stuff you guys would like. We've added and removed dozens of maps to try and find fun stuff that you like. If you don't like something, say so. I'm open at all times to all suggestions and have a good group of people helping me run the server who can do pretty much anything imaginable for implementation into the server, even if that means shutting the fuck up when you want them to.

If any of you really think we can't stop micspam just because one person really doesn't like it, as long as that one person says something like, "Hey guys, I really don't like micspam." As opposed to the seriously offensive way that, on a daily basis (on the days that he shows up) Geo T Hermal acts in our server. Then I point you toward the weeks or so that we actively stopped micspamming just because we wanted Friday, a TruBro by any standard of the word, to come back and play with us again.

We've built and maintain a server that is maintained the way it is because of the people who immediately jumped on the bandwagon and helped me get the ball rolling. It has things that are now considered norms that I don't necessarily agree with, but that I allow to happen because I think you guys want them. It would, of course, be obtuse to suggest that I hadn't heard any complaints in any form about how the server is ran. The only thing I can say in my defense is that these complaints have NEVER, not even about the DRAMA days of a few months back, been anything more than one or two people bitching about something with the rest of the community not saying a word for either side of the argument.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2010, 10:06:33 AM »

Joxam, you bring up a point that I almost forgot about.

First things first, Geo is a pretty cool guy (he mutes the mic spammers and doesn't afraid of anything) and if Niku wasn't awesome most of the time, then he wouldn't have even had the ability or the trust to be able to kick in the first place.

Now that that's out of the way, I think having to announce that you're muting someone anywhere on the internet is completely retarded, and obviously only something you do to feel superior.

On the other side, I've been in basically the same situation where I entered a game, said "hey, that's pretty loud mic spam, Niku" and got muted. Because of that, I don't mention anything unless someone else does first.

So again, agreeing with Joxam, bitching is for bitches, and mic spam is pretty great, but only the jackass doing it likes loud mic spam that lasts the entire game.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2010, 10:07:04 AM »

If you want to talk and there is micspam playing, maybe you should ask the person micspamming to stop so you can talk. If you ask us instead of being all smug about muting us or whining about the micspam being too loud, we will probably stop. I know at least Bongo and I would.

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »

It's wonderful, you guys get the choice between mic spam and me hitting on lady angel. OH WELL.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2010, 10:15:41 AM »

ON THE SUBJECT I should also mention that everyone collectively and audibly blowing their load when Lady Angel was making complainin' sounds was totally not one of the creepiest and most uncomfortable things I've ever heard

Ryg you are the Da Vinchi of saying the worst possible thing to a lady imaginable
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6