Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 17

Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 29036 times)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #160 on: May 15, 2011, 06:03:48 PM »

It's funny how it works. Star Wars novels were always like wretched fanfics (already discussed here).

No, they were like Star Wars.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 27, 2011, 03:14:54 PM »

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 13, 2012, 11:17:35 AM »

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 01, 2012, 08:49:25 AM »

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 01, 2012, 09:39:42 AM »

It's sort of funny when you realize that the way that original scene wasn't written as Data being emotionless, but instead that he has ROBOT ASPERGER'S.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 09, 2012, 07:19:22 PM »

Now that the hottest star trek thread is over, time to use this thread again.

A Glorious Klingon Dawn

EXPERIENCE BIJ

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 19, 2012, 01:09:38 PM »

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 20, 2012, 03:53:31 PM »

But Picard violated the Prime Directive on a number of occasions, some quite notable. I'm not saying he didn't hit that, it's just incorrect.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 20, 2012, 04:37:17 PM »

But Picard violated the Prime Directive on a number of occasions, some quite notable. I'm not saying he didn't hit that, it's just incorrect.

He may have bent or even broken it from time to time, sure, but he never violated it.  Never just wrecked it, thoroughly and with malice aforethought, until it was such a mess that there was no point in even trying to salvage what was left.  Not the way he did to dat ass.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 20, 2012, 04:59:42 PM »

Easy excuse: That first picture is from the first season.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 21, 2012, 05:57:26 PM »

You mean the First Season with Justice, where Picard stops wesley from getting killed by a stupid law by violating the PD?  Even visiting the planet violating the PD?

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 21, 2012, 09:04:22 PM »

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 21, 2012, 09:19:22 PM »

What's great about that is that he really does have the right idea at least half the time.  It's Ellen Ripley Syndrome.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #173 on: February 22, 2012, 07:11:52 AM »

Christopher Priest, during one of his periodic flurries of blog activity followed by sudden silence, posted last October about a Trek comic pitch he wrote.

My one Trek idea—of Worf’s bridge commander test being manipulated by Starfleet to prevent his ever becoming captain—was borne, I believe, out of a TNG episode in which Counselor Deanna Troi takes the bridge commander test and learns yawn obvious lessons along the way. I recall thinking the episode would have been a lot more interesting had that been Worf and had Riker, et. al. known that, no matter what Worf did, he would never be promoted. A full commander could be given his own ship. Even a routine act of bravery could promote a full commander to the rank of captain, and that would never happen for Worf, due to either institutionalized racism or to some secret pact forged between the Federation and the Klingon empire.

And yes, Priest is totally upfront about where this idea came from.

I remember sitting at a pub with artist Mark D. Bright, giddy over the blockbuster success of our story, Spider-Man vs. Wolverine, and stupidly thinking that book’s huge numbers would open doors for us. Numbers like those would absolutely have opened doors for anybody else. But our phones never rang. We were never invited back for a sequel, and Marvel passed—twice—on sequel pitches from me. The conventional wisdom attributed the book’s record-breaking numbers to the characters; the talent had nothing to do with it. While, at the same time, we were routinely denied opportunities because our names weren’t big enough—claims that comic sales were predicated upon the names of the talent associated with them. Which one was true? For Mark and I, both; whichever answer justified the “no” we constantly received. At some point, I recall telling Mark that I knew, from that experience, I would never be offered X-Men or any real opportunity to succeed in the business.

[...]

This, for me, was the missed opportunities of Worf, likely because Worf has been traditionally written by people who could not possibly understand what a complete gut punch it is to live under that glass ceiling. To do your best and to, in many areas, out-perform others whose efforts were rewarded and who were given opportunities you never would be. Knowing, for a fact, I’d never be offered Superman or X-Men, that I’d never make Group Editor, let alone EIC.

I love Priest; he remains one of my all-time favorite comics writers, and the industry is poorer without his voice.  I've never bought a Trek comic in my life, but if this had been published it would have been the first.  (As it stands, odds are pretty good that the Doctor Who crossover will be the first instead.)

Priest's one of those dudes who seems to have a small but surprisingly dedicated fanbase.  Any time his name gets mentioned on, say, CBR, I'm disarmed by the number of fans who pop up in the comments.  It's a real pity that the guys who sign the checks don't share that enthusiasm.  (He said in an interview awhile back that Joe Quesada -- who was the editor on the book, for God's sake -- had nixed plans to reprint his Black Panther run because it conflicts with the Hudlin version and that might "confuse" readers.  Priest's response was to the effect that readers aren't stupid; I like to think that he's correct.  And at any rate, while I liked Hudlin's first couple of arcs, Priest's run has aged better, inasmuch as it doesn't revolve around caricatures of the Bush Administration.)

I continue to hope that he'll be back and, indeed, that there was a reason the word "Quantum" fell smack-dab in the middle of that stack of books Valiant posted as a teaser.  Of course, if that's true then I'm probably responsible for his sudden departure from blogging, since I'm the guy who first pointed it out. :whoops:

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 22, 2012, 07:22:45 AM »

He said in an interview awhile back that Joe Quesada -- who was the editor on the book, for God's sake -- had nixed plans to reprint his Black Panther run because it conflicts with the Hudlin version and that might "confuse" readers.

Which would explain why Age of Apocalypse and House of M never got reprinted.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #175 on: February 22, 2012, 08:18:24 AM »

Lost TOS script published for Kindle.

Essentially, the script was written for a guest appearance by Milton Berle, rewritten into something that the original writer and Roddenberry didn't care for, and then never filmed.  It was thought to be lost but a fan turned up with a copy, which has since been scanned.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 22, 2012, 08:33:58 AM »

Ironically, there was eventually an episode of DS9 where Worf effectively lost all possibility of conventional promotion due to his actions during a mission that caused an important spy during the Dominion War to be captured and killed. He was told straight up that he'd never be promoted into a command position (commander and above) because of this action. Of course, he was later made Ambassador to the Klingons, but as far as starfleet was concerned, his career, while not over, was going nowhere from that point onward.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 22, 2012, 08:55:26 AM »

Lost TOS script published for Kindle.

Essentially, the script was written for a guest appearance by Milton Berle, rewritten into something that the original writer and Roddenberry didn't care for, and then never filmed.  It was thought to be lost but a fan turned up with a copy, which has since been scanned.

Quote from: Norman Spinrad
This original version was rewritten into an unfunny comedy by the line producer Gene Coon apparently unaware that Uncle Miltie was also a serious dramatic actor and a good one. It t was so bad that I complained to Roddenberry.

"This is so lousy, Gene, that you should kill it!" I told him. "You can't, you shouldn't, shoot this thing! Read it and weep!"

So, The Outrageous Okona?

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 23, 2012, 01:32:32 PM »

Now picture the Piscopo cameo as his performance in, say, Sidekicks.  As a villain.

Yeah, the lesser of two evils, thanks...

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #179 on: February 23, 2012, 02:11:55 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 17