Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: Thing4 (Playing Thread)  (Read 16020 times)

Caithness

• Hat Man
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Thing4 (Playing Thread)
« Reply #220 on: October 19, 2012, 11:24:03 AM »

The only one of those I was convinced on was Sharkey. And I think I've been calm despite my paranoia. I just don't want to be like "Oh man I didn't even THINK of that!" when I end up losing.

Ocksi

• Guy on a buffalo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 19, 2012, 11:24:43 AM »

It would have worked on Day 1, but the fact that there has been a turn makes a lot of the assumptions your plan was based on invalid.
Can't throw dynamite on day 1. The only assumption it makes is that a flamethrower has not been turned. Everything else comes down to players just acting in the innocents' best interest. With an all-in like this, it's also in the Things' best interest to play to the plan, if there's a chance they won't be discovered in doing so. It's when Things act stupid that they get caught. Worked for Lottel and it should work for Destil, as well.

gahitsu

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 19, 2012, 11:33:26 AM »

Holy fucking shit, what. With Friend being the only Flamethrower left, possibly, I guess one way or the other by the end of the night?

Caithness

• Hat Man
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 19, 2012, 11:35:26 AM »

I guess I just fail to see how Destil's choice of target was any stupider than Kazz or Sharkey's. Beat Bandit and Kayma could just has easily have been flamethrowers based on the information they had.

Destil

• Robot Wrangler
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 19, 2012, 12:02:58 PM »

As far as my target: . Sharky and Ocksi both blew up things, so they're out. Caithness was tested human. Friend is claimed a flamethrower.

That leaves myself, gahitsu, Zara and geo/Aoko. Zara had votes already, so test Zata, kill Aoko was the logical choice.

I may have gambled the game on my ability to read gahistu, but I'm 100% sure she's a human right now. Yesterday she told me IRL she "knew Lottel was a thing and was going to push for him." I've both seen her make such proclamations in mafia as an innocent after the fact. Apologies to Friday as I'm not 100% sure to get you a transcript of an exchange like that (and for my part I just nodded and didn't say anything).

Like I said, let's test Zata and end this thing.

Destil

• Robot Wrangler
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 19, 2012, 12:06:51 PM »

And for my money, if we lose from here it's because Ocksi's a mad genius who bussed Lottel, then used that to convince everyone to go crazy. Or Sharky or a very clever opportunist. Those were some amazingly accurate dynamite tosses...

Caithness

• Hat Man
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 19, 2012, 12:28:07 PM »

Well, it was kind of obvious that Lottel was a Thing. But Kayma? Where did the idea to target him come from? (Kazz told me it was originally his idea, by the way.)

Ocksi

• Guy on a buffalo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 19, 2012, 12:29:03 PM »

There's nothing amazing about mine: a player made an incredibly dumb move, so I busted his balls for it.

Sharkey's and Kazz's dynamites WERE arbitrary. They both picked targets from the list of untested players, however.

Your dynamite was boneheaded because you not only dynamited a player who had been tested, you didn't do the one basic thing we needed (wait for the other flamethrower to claim). After deciding to quite literally blow your load early, you then managed to hit not only someone we knew had been tested, but also who happened to be the flamethrower.

Whether you agreed with my strategy or not, once Friend committed to it in public, we really had to go all-in.

You then not playing with the team's strategy is easily the worst possible move for the innocent team. We've gone from nailing the thing 100% to at best a 1/3 shot at it. So if you're not a thing, you're just dumb.

Friend

• Meow see here..
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 19, 2012, 12:59:38 PM »

I forgot to mention who I'm killing tonight.

If we don't test Destil today, I will kill Destil.

If we test Destil and he's innocent, I will choose randomly among
Sharkey
Kazz
Gahitsu
Zaratustra

Why did I include Sharkey and Kazz?
Because Caithness seems to think that one of the dynamites are undercover things. I did have to acknowledge the possibility of such a situation, so Sharkey and Kazz are also at risk of being burned tonight.
I included Gahitsu and Zaratustra because they were the original suspects in Ocksi's game plan.

I didn't include Ocksi, because I don't think he's a thing. If he is a thing, though, I'm not going to get in the way of his win. This plan was too goddamn convoluted and over the top for a thing to bother with and it would be a shame not to give the win to him. 

If you want to give input on my plan, feel free, but take into account that the only person whose opinion I can completely trust as human is Caithness', so his opinion will be weighted more than yours.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 19, 2012, 01:03:21 PM »

Destil:

Mine and Sharkey's tosses were fairly arbitrary and yes we could have easily blown the game ourselves.  That's just the nature of the all-in strategy.  The fact that we were in such a good position after the tosses was dumb luck, but we had all the information you needed at that point to make a better decision.  I personally had Geo/Aoko about fourth on the suspect list, after Zara, Gahitsu, and you, because he would have been a good (or as it happens, excellent) choice for a first-turn conversion by the Things.  Which means if we had three extra dynamite, I would have given the big green-light on throwing at him/her.

Friend:

Well, we lose.  You realize that you HAVE TO hit the Thing tonight or it's game over, right?  Sharkey and I are SHIT choices.

Friend

• Meow see here..
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 19, 2012, 01:08:19 PM »

Of course I realize I have to hit the thing, but how do I know one of you isn't turned? Caithness seemed to believe that thing Sharkey blew up his partner to secure his thing status. While I admit that it's not likely that's the case, it isn't any more unlikely than Gahitsu or Zaratustra being the thing.

Destil

• Robot Wrangler
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 19, 2012, 01:18:42 PM »

All out of my hands at this point. I'm not too concerned with my chances at this point, really, at least if we test Zara. From where I'm standing he has to be the last thing, I know I'm human and I'm as certain as I've ever been about my read on Gahistu.

If we lose other than that it's because we went all in on a plan that required the things to not possibly have acted in a certain way. Nothing I could do about that.

Fire it up.

Caithness

• Hat Man
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 19, 2012, 01:22:38 PM »

How many Hammertimes have been used/how much time do we have left? I'm not sure if I want to use mine or if I just want to get the game over with.

Ocksi

• Guy on a buffalo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 19, 2012, 01:24:20 PM »

There was plenty you could do about it. Like not blowing up our flamethrower.

We've used three hammetimes, so we should have an extra 24 to go.

Friend

• Meow see here..
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 19, 2012, 01:37:34 PM »

If you want to get this game over with, we can just vote for Zaratustra and I can go ahead and torch Destil.

Caithness

• Hat Man
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 19, 2012, 01:41:52 PM »

I would like to hear what Zara has to say, but I think in order to increase my perceived chances of winning I'll have to vote for Destil.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 19, 2012, 10:31:28 PM »

i'm just about at the point where i hate my team so much that i hope we lose.  so i guess i'll be happy either way.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 20, 2012, 12:40:43 AM »

Jesus wept. I go away for a day and then this. This shit was practically a lock.

Hammerzeit! Just in case we need it.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 20, 2012, 12:56:09 AM »

Alright, if I ever had a fault it was underestimating the goddamn idiocy of the common man. And the common man in this case is Destil. He's either absolutely fucking retarded, or a not-particularly-smart thing doing an excellent job pretending to be absolutely fucking retarded. Honestly, that would be such a dumb move for a thing that I wouldn't even advocate the test except that... hell, it was so fucking thick that the possibility exists that he thought we might not test him for it. Really, it was that stupid, and taking it any further would be some kind of reverse-Vizzini.

Friend: A minimum of analysis would reveal that so far both Kazz and I have made sub-optimal moves for things, and optimal moves for humans. Kazz hit a human, but it was also one of the humans highest on the list who happened to have me tied up, and yeah, we both tried to get Caith to lay off before making that decision. We agreed on hitting Kayma afterward, and it worked out.

Anyway, even after Ok committed us to this ludicrous all-in strategy, that double bomb wouldn't have been the optimum move for even one remaining thing. There would have been far more ambiguity over who was armed with what, and room to argue. Unless Kazz was damn near certain that I was going to somehow get him tested when the only confirmed human was positive that I was a thing (and still entertains the possibility) then there wasn't much sense in collusion. That'd be getting into some serious Moriarty shit, honestly. The possibility exists that Kazz and I are some brilliant-human/desperate-thing combination, either way around. I wouldn't bet on it, so even if you're going to coinflip this shit I would consider weighting the probability a bit more. You know why I whimsically wanted to kill Kazz early on? Because he's fucking smart. Probably the same reason Caith doesn't trust me right now, ironically enough. Hell, if Kazz is a thing I'd actually be disappointed right now, unless he's doing some bizarre thing where he actually lowered his chance of winning because it was more important that I personally facilitated the win. Which is romantic, but there are limits to even my vanity. If Caith weren't double confirmed he'd be higher on my list at this point.

This has already descended into imbecilic self destruction. Do a test on Dest and then... just what the fuck ever.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 20, 2012, 01:17:45 AM »

If Dest turns out to be human, my money's on G. Not a lot of money, mind you. Because he already blew the bank. I'm just more inclined to believe that he's a double-idiot at this point, logical fallacy be damned. The alternatives are that Zara wins by being mostly quiet, Ok wins through a strategic sacrifice, Kazz wins by conning me and actually playing worse unless you account for a convoluted meta-meta game, Friend wins by lying about the flamethrower and magically being unchallenged by the real one, etc. Any of the alternatives are better than an idiot or the guy who conned the idiot.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15