Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 50

Author Topic: New Doctor Who  (Read 54217 times)

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: New Doctor Who
« Reply #740 on: April 04, 2013, 02:32:54 PM »

Nah, they'd just handwave it. Which is more than anyone bothered to do with all those The N Doctors episodes. It wouldn't be hard, considering that it's one of the things that was already in-universe retconned out of existence once.

Also, now I want a Walking Dead crossover. Everybody lives. Didn't see that coming.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #741 on: April 06, 2013, 07:34:59 PM »

So we know how this works by now: Doctor meets new companion, fights relatively trivial adversary, shows off his godlike powers; in the next episode he faces a seemingly insurmountable challenge and she has to turn around and save him.

Given the constraints of the formula this was a pretty good episode -- better than Beast Below or Shakespeare Code, anyway.  Too heavy on the speechifyin' but satisfying in the Star Wars Cantina-style variety of wacky rubbersuited aliens.

And hey, Neil Cross.  One more Who/Luther connection.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: April 06, 2013, 07:38:17 PM »

Honestly, I'm willing to forgive any Doctor Who episode, no matter how schmaltzy the ending, if it devotes so much of its screen-time to this many physical, alien-sets and costumes. For the first time in a world, I felt like Doctor Who made good on the promise of traveling space and time, not just across Earth.

Also, and this is just bugging me, but [spoiler]does anyone else think there is supposed to be some significance to the ring? Is it supposed to be Victorian Clara's ring? Because "Oh yeah, the aliens all gave me this off screen" just seems so out of place for some reason. I'm probably just grasping at straws here, but that scene felt like it was supposed to have some other meeting.[/spoiler]

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 06, 2013, 09:02:37 PM »

Great, if somewhat standard Who episode, well fucked up by BBC America's commercials every five fucking minutes. I mean jesus. I'm going back to torrenting the BBCOne version.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: April 07, 2013, 05:07:12 AM »

Yeah, was about to say. I'd forgotten how jarringly loud and frequent the BBC's commercial breaks are.

This one was really good - loved the setting, loved the cast, loved the bad guy. I actually can't remember the last time they'd visited a world and just explored for a while. It was really quite nice. They don't get around to establishing a villain until a little after the halfway point, and it was much the better for it. The slow burn kind of reminded me of old Doctor Who, in that way.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #745 on: April 07, 2013, 08:19:14 AM »

Also, and this is just bugging me, but [spoiler]does anyone else think there is supposed to be some significance to the ring? Is it supposed to be Victorian Clara's ring? Because "Oh yeah, the aliens all gave me this off screen" just seems so out of place for some reason. I'm probably just grasping at straws here, but that scene felt like it was supposed to have some other meeting.[/spoiler]

Wasn't that just [spoiler] her speederbike fare?[/spoiler]

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 07, 2013, 10:45:20 AM »

Wasn't that just [spoiler] her speederbike fare?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Well, yeah, but the whole thing about him just getting it back offscreen and making a point of giving it to her made it feel like there was something more than just returning her ring to her. Plus, the episode is titled "Rings of Akhaten", so it feels like rings have more importance[/spoiler]

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #747 on: April 07, 2013, 11:39:43 AM »

I attached less significance to the ring than the series of events that led to her parents' meeting.  Her mother's opening monologue really does spend a lot of time pointing out just how improbable their meet-cute was, to the point where I wondered if it was arranged -- the Great Intelligence manipulating events to an end (in much the same way the Evil Guide does in Mostly Harmless).  Did the GI become interested in Victorian Clara and spend the next few decades conspiring toward a series of events to recreate her as closely as possible?

Seems a little less likely given the climax of the episode, though -- the message seemed to be more a Dr. Manhattan-style "EVERYONE is highly improbable" than pointing out specifically how strange Clara's existence is.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: April 07, 2013, 01:27:45 PM »

the Great Intelligence manipulating events to an end (in much the same way the Evil Guide does in Mostly Harmless).

Well, there was a Hooloovoo mentioned... though now that I think about it he might have said "Hoovaloo," which sounds more like a portajohn with a vacuum attachment. I don't care enough to go back and listen. Also, that guy wasn't even blue, unless he's just a lot of blue under the spacesuit.

Come to think of it, "hyper-intelligent shade of the color blue" also applies to Dr. Manhattan. But madness is seeing patterns everywhere.

Speaking of patterns, this one is the second time in a row that the introduction of a new companion has been followed by a variant of The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas. I don't know if I'd call twice a pattern, and really, I can't fault it, regardless. That's a very quintessentially Doctor Who-ish sort of story, and assuming that we're talking about a new viewer probably the most important thing to establish right after the two-hearts-timetraveler-blue-box stuff, which is actually called out explicitly in the dialogue. My only complaint is "yup, we have to do one of these" and "planet-sized Jack O'Lantern" really doesn't fill one with awe or fear like they apparently expected.

So whatever happened with gandpa mummy, or the little girl, for that matter? Who gives a fuck. Submarine story next week. Do you think they'll have a bit where everyone has to talk really quiet aboard a sneaky ship? Because it'd actually be justified for once there.

Also, there needs to be one throwaway along the lines of "Shit, where did I leave that swank leather jacket I wore two hundred years ago? That'd be really appropriate at this moment."

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #749 on: April 07, 2013, 02:49:33 PM »

I dunno, but the important thing is that the submarine is apparently captained by Davos Seaworth.

(And Grand Maester Pycelle was the villain in City of Death!)

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #750 on: April 07, 2013, 02:58:47 PM »

Wait, they got Julian Glover for this shit? Dude still gets around. Someday I'll stop being surprised by every living member of the Royal Shakespeare Company showing up in every BBC production ever.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #751 on: April 07, 2013, 03:33:45 PM »

Nah, City of Death is old Who.  1979.

But yeah he's one more Doctor Who/Game of Thrones link.  Not quite as many as Who/Luther or Who/Potter, but definitely some overlap.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: April 07, 2013, 04:24:43 PM »

Yeah, Julian Glover played the shit out of Scaroth. Liam Cunningham would have been pretty young for any old Who.

Sorry, I didn't follow your connection. I guess Glover isn't in the next one. Now I'm disappointed.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #753 on: April 13, 2013, 07:52:44 AM »

Pretty good high concept -- Cold War sub movie with a dash of Alien.  Also the most Third Doctor-y episode since the one with the Silurians a couple years back.

I'm glad [spoiler]the old professor didn't die[/spoiler].

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: April 13, 2013, 08:21:30 AM »

Yup. Pretty boss. Also pretty formula, but it got the Pertwee formula damn near perfect, so I'll take it.

Also, fuck yeah, David Warner. My only disappointment there is that he didn't turn out to be a Time Lord. That would have been the best thing. Seriously, just picture that shit. "Oh, yay. Way to save the world. Turns out I've been doing the Columbo thing this whole time, like we all do. Also I've got another one of those silly titles we insist on using and I made your Tardis fuck off earlier. I guess I bubbled out of the time lock like Hawking radiation or some such shit. Expect more of us, probably! Ta." And then he ducks into a washing machine or whatever, which disappears in the usual way. Bonus points it you read all that in David Warner's voice.

That'd make for an interesting rest of the season.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #755 on: April 13, 2013, 09:14:23 AM »

Oh shit, I didn't even recognize that was David Warner, I just knew I loved him immediately...Detective.

And Time Lord or not I hope they contrive a reason to bring him back.  I haven't taken this immediate shine to a supporting character since Wilf.  (Though Mark Sheppard comes close.)

EDIT TO ADD: And yeah the TARDIS's disappearance feels like an unfired Chekov's Gun.  The Doctor's explanation at the end is inadequate.  The fact that everybody could still understand each other could be dismissed as a plothole, except they hung a lampshade directly on it.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 19, 2013, 03:49:58 AM »

So uhh

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 19, 2013, 04:07:07 AM »

omg

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 19, 2013, 04:07:54 AM »

HMMMMM

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 19, 2013, 07:44:40 AM »

Duh?
I mean, all of season six was building up that the big thing in the next season would be his name.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 50