Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Stupid videogame playing stories.  (Read 24038 times)

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid videogame playing stories.
« Reply #220 on: November 05, 2013, 02:57:46 PM »

it wasn't the most obvious joke and in fact sort of sounded like you were making fun of A2 for having the gall to feel entitled to play a decent sequel to DMC.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #221 on: November 05, 2013, 03:00:40 PM »

sorry that capcom published a sequel to your game that wasn't like the other ones in the series

Anyone who grew up in the 1990's has every reason to be surprised by this.

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 05, 2013, 03:01:56 PM »

Sorry that capcom did that to megaman by making it a 3D game, and it plays entirely different too, it's such an insult.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 05, 2013, 10:56:40 PM »

Sorry that capcom did that to megaman by making it a 3D game, and it plays entirely different too, it's such an insult.
Way to ruin my "joke's on all you, they only threatened to make changes to my favorite series before canceling it forever" response.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 06, 2013, 02:25:48 AM »

their way of doing "Almost shakespearean" was to have Donte repeatedly spout "fuck you"

Invoking Shakespeare was pretty idiotic on their part, yeah. But I rather enjoyed the infamous fuck you->no fuck you->no fuck YOU->vomit exchange, and probably not for the reasons you might think.

The demons in DmC have essentially won. They're not struggling for anything, they're not at war with anyone. They're in charge. They've been in charge for a long time. They've grown arrogant, yes, but that trait is not unusual in game antagonists. They've also grown fat and lazy. They've grown dull. They haven't had to use their wit, cunning or imagination in centuries, if they ever had any to begin with. Their minions are ugly misshapen things wielding crude weapons; they're not very good at combat because they can only manifest in Limbo and they haven't had anyone to fight in there in who knows how long. The Succubus ends up being little more than a purulent, bloated organ whose very sentience is irrelevant to its task.

Now Dante comes in. He's not an experienced professional, hired by a client to perform a job he (initially) has no personal stake in. He's an angry kid on a revenge quest whose current goal is to kick the hornet's nest.

Of course they're gonna shout FUCK YOU at each other. That's the only possible way their interaction could have gone down. On that level, it was realized perfectly. Given the setup, I was actually impressed that whoever wrote that scene took it all the way there. Was it childish, crude, and dumb? Yes, of course it was. Exactly.

That said, I get it. A whole lot of people don't want Dante to be an angry upstart, and they want him to fight elegant fiends trying to upset to status quo rather than trying to maintain it, possessed of might and grace, who have the courtesy to say nothing if they have nothing to say. That's legitimate. If I had any attachment to the prior series then I would be pissed off too, and I sure wouldn't try to change your mind if you hated it, because I can totally understand your point of view.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #225 on: November 06, 2013, 02:36:49 AM »

The Tidus Rule: Just because something is in-character doesn't mean it's not ridiculous.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 06, 2013, 02:55:18 AM »

Oh it's totes ridiculous. No contest.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 06, 2013, 04:01:32 AM »

Why'd you guys have to make me feel bad for bringing up a cool indie game :(

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 06, 2013, 04:51:40 AM »

Don't worry mang, we can vigorously explore a disagreement without thinking any less of one another!

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 06, 2013, 05:49:20 AM »

So much went wrong with that game leading up to release outside of the game proper that it's almost emblematic of how fucked Capcom is on the whole nowadays. Originally, DmC was announced as a prequel to the series. Totally canon and everything. People went "The fuck?" Then they went that it was a reboot. WIping the slate clean. THEN they said and eventually settled on an "Alternate Universe."

Capcom also issued veiled threats that if DmC didn't sell well, then they'd deem the series "No longer profitable" and stop making games entirely.

Half of what's wrong with DmC was this thinly veiled contempt against its existing userbase for whatever reason. Capcom is ran by cranky, bitter old men nowadays who would rather burn the company than actually stop and maybe retweak something. DmC could have worked on multiple levels - a younger, brash dante, demons who have won, all of what you said - but the execution was just so God-Awful that it destroyed almost any redeeming features for me. The 720 Noscope Abortion is one of the bigger marks of the RATED E FOR EDGY syndrome the whole game has.

That said, there is one way to make it amusing:

Donté, el exterminador de demonios

Defenestration

• The Sixth Window
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 07, 2013, 07:23:27 AM »

DmC could have worked on multiple levels - a younger, brash dante, demons who have won

So... DMC3?
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 07, 2013, 07:35:44 AM »

A pre-Smooth-As-Silk dante could have been executed in some proper sense is what I was going for.

Oh man, I almost forgot. Some of the earliest videos for DmC showed off FORCED STEALTH SECTIONS. In a DEVIL MAY CRY GAME.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 07, 2013, 08:30:05 AM »

Well it's a good thing they took that out.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 07, 2013, 10:47:55 AM »

They only had enough budget to undo one terrible mistake.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 06, 2013, 06:12:49 PM »

Hey this Paper Mario game is actually pretty fun.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]