Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 59

Author Topic: Movies in the Theater  (Read 100697 times)

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: I watched a movie!
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2008, 03:05:38 PM »

I would say the opposite is true of Hancock.  While the first part of the movie hints at an entertaining movie, it takes a lot of ideas and then does nothing with them.  Then the entire film begins to break down in the second half, when things just go balls out inane.

Yeah, this sums up my feelings. I really, really liked the first half - it was legitimately funny, and it's always pleasing to see superheroes do crazy shit.

On another note, I am really excited for Hellboy 2 this Friday.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2008, 03:57:59 PM »

Basically up until WHAT A TWIST I was enjoying Hancock, but there were a few scattered bits and pieces I liked after that point too.  What I didn't like was how cliched and angsty and blah blah blah it got, but the potential backstory stuff they mostly skimmed over kept me interested in hopes they might go along with it.

Both movies were at their best in the first half really, but the second half of each aren't (in my opinion) enough to ruin the entire film.  Worth renting them both, at least.

i am totally stoked for hellboy 2 like you can not even fucking believe

also also i apparantly have to see mummy 3 because it has a dragon a jet li AND a yeti in it.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2008, 05:03:03 PM »

Meanwhile, I have to wait until Sunday to see WALL-E, so Guild and I just saw Wanted instead. Pretty fun, especially the first 20 minutes or so. There's some pretty goofy story elements, but BAM HEADSHOT!  :scanners:

Agreed, though this guy really needs to learn how to shoot moving sequences without literally taping the camera onto the vibrating ceiling and speeding everything up in post-production. Reminded me of watching that swirling ball of glass and color-streaks where Bruce Willis blew up an asteroid.

Was pretty sure this one was going to be completely forgettable until the movie's last quarter, with one of the better B-movie endings (and lines) in recent memory. It was almost like the guy deliberately made a completely by-the-numbers action flick for the payoff.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2008, 09:09:56 AM »

In Bruges had some of the most satisfying dialogue I've seen in a long damn time. Really, the worst bits of this movie came whenever they felt the need to move the plot along, or shove in some gritty crime drama - I'd dislike the last half a lot more if The Boss, Harry, wasn't such an awesome, awesome character.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2008, 11:36:44 PM »

Hellboy 2's paper-thin plot is basically an excuse to showcase some truly gorgeous makeup and creature effects and banter between Ron Perlman and Seth MacFarlane.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2008, 11:54:43 PM »

I dunno, the scene between [spoiler]drunk Abe and Hellboy was touching, and I really liked the robots... my only gripe, as a matter of fact, was that the prince's blood was red when he got punched during the scene where they establish the link between the twins, and thereafter was amber... I guess when I want to like a movie a small mistake like that bugs me more.[/spoiler]

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2008, 11:58:04 PM »

None of that actually contradicts anything I said.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2008, 12:18:00 AM »

I (apparently mistakenly) inferred that you didn't enjoy the film. I am high context by nature. Sorry to mislead you.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2008, 12:25:57 AM »

I thought it was okay.  It did what it set out to do, which was show off some of the best makeup and creature effects I've ever seen, and have its principal cast banter back and forth in satisfying ways.

The plot, as I said, is almost nonexistent -- even thinner than the first movie's, which can be summed up as "Blade, except with a demon instead of a half-vampire" --, and there's just not a whole lot of depth.

It's pretty and it's fun, but in the end, if there's a third movie, the second won't add anything to the two-sentence summary of the first that appeared in the beginning.

And hey, kudos on using "infer" correctly, but I'm still baffled by your use of "context".

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2008, 08:23:36 AM »

also also i apparantly have to see mummy 3 because it has a dragon...

Rob Cohen, world's biggest dragon fan, strikes again.

Hellboy 2's paper-thin plot is basically an excuse to showcase some truly gorgeous makeup and creature effects...

Guillermo del Toro, world's most glorified Art Director, strikes again. A very sincere man, who needs to give the audience more to chew on if he wants to uphold the moniker of "The Spike Lee of Monster Movies".

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2008, 08:29:59 AM »

I place Del Toro in that realm of directors such as Tim Burton and Terry Gilliam who are capable of fantastic sets, dazzling imagery and creative creature design but who lack severely in storytelling and characters.  Their movies are always entertaining to watch, but at the end I always feel a little bit empty as the story beneath the art design just doesn't support all those dazzling special effects.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2008, 01:46:10 PM »

I don't necessarily think Hellboy needs a deep plot.  It does however need to hinge everything on the characters, and there were some bits that rang false and some bits that rang true.  Examples immediately springing to mind being [spoiler]Abe immediately falling for the princess ringing false (lol psychic hands means no courtship!) but Abe telling Hellboy that "he'd do it for Liz" ringing true.[/spoiler].  Overall, yeah, gorgeous and fun and you won't waste your money.

Wanted started as a relatively fun fusion of Fight Club-lite and Matrix-lite, lost me sometime at Hogwart's School of Sweatermaking and Gunshootery, and never really got me back.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2008, 01:57:21 PM »

I place Del Toro in that realm of directors such as Tim Burton and Terry Gilliam who are capable of fantastic sets, dazzling imagery and creative creature design but who lack severely in storytelling and characters.  Their movies are always entertaining to watch, but at the end I always feel a little bit empty as the story beneath the art design just doesn't support all those dazzling special effects.

I'd say Burton's about 50/50 with this.

Gilliam's just doing it on purpose.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2008, 11:33:58 PM »

Pulled up the local movie listings today and was surprised to see Midnight Cowboy at the top of the page.

It turns out my local arthouse theater (which, I am disappointed to say, never got around to running Gonzo) is participating in the United Artists 90th Anniversary Film Festival.  Midnight Cowboy was one night only; over the next few days they're doing From Russia With Love, Manhattan, Marty, The Thomas Crown Affair, and Night of the Hunter.  Apparently there are a whole lot more to come.

So you guys may want to check out your local indy theaters and see if they're doing anything similar.  Because man, catching Midnight Cowboy in the theater sure was cool.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Movies in the Theater
« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2008, 04:09:37 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CYSGCoflAA

:whoops: Will they be ordering tickets in bulk like they order their books in bulk?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2008, 04:32:58 PM »

Wow... there's a lot of big names that seem to have no regard for their careers there.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2008, 10:57:11 AM »

So did anybody see Clone Wars?

I didn't.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 24, 2008, 12:24:46 PM »

As far as I've heard it's essentially the Clone Wars cartoon show spiffed up a bit and re-filmed in GLORIOUS 3D-O-RAMA VISION.

Which would make it kind of redundant and dumb.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2008, 01:36:41 PM »

So did anybody see Clone Wars?

Last night, free entry. Will work infinitely better on the small screen, which it was obviously produced for. They overstepped their boundaries here by going theatrical, as the beginning and ending are rushed to a fault. Picking out which point an episode is meant to end and another is to begin isn't difficult with this in mind.

You know how hack movie reviewers spout off about "videogame action sequences" in films lately? This time around it rings true, as each set appears to be modeled as a level beforehand. Repetitive action sequences, teammates quipping at one another, and the Playstation 2 worthy character models drive it all home.

Narratively? WHARRGARBL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWWK5tGjAkE

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2008, 01:40:29 PM »

Tropic Thunder = A-

Tom Cruise (he's in it!) comes very close to stealing the show.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 59