Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17

Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 29015 times)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2010, 07:25:45 PM »

I prefer the less-thinky Star Trek simply because I have a hard time taking the damn thing seriously when it asks me to.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2010, 07:26:36 PM »

I'd argue that the 2009 Star Trek movie is a departure both from the mindless explosions of the previous four movies and the godawful boardrooms-and-technobabble of TNG*.  Yes, there's action, oh horror of horrors, but it's not about the action.  It's a character story, like we used to see back when TOS or TNG were being worthwhile.  Myth-building and characterization, well-written and intriguing, are why it's one of the best Star Trek films.  To lump it in with such as Nemesis just because it actually has action scenes in it is flatly ignorant.

*This is not to disparage DS9, mind you.  Legitimate politicking and intrigue are different from the tiresome debates about nothing that encompass the majority of TNG.  And no, another dreary pontification on the Prime Directive is not "brainy".
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2010, 08:10:58 PM »

Inner Light was a perfectly good lead-in to introducing my Trekkie friend to Kino's Journey, specificially "The Kind Land." Actually, right after we watched it, I said, "You're not gonna believe this, but..."

I'd say it's my personal favourite. Apparently it's also Patrick Stewart's favourite as well.
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Walker

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • Crowded Street Advanced, Inc. - Updated Once Every Black President
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2010, 08:44:54 PM »

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2010, 09:52:48 PM »

DS9 remains my favorite Star Trek, but that not withstanding, Babylon 5 is better in every way. This is true of most sci-fi, actually.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2010, 10:50:49 PM »

sorry guys but i have to put a feather in my cap for picard and TNG. It might have been dull, but I liked that.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2010, 04:23:01 AM »

Inner Light was a perfectly good lead-in to introducing my Trekkie friend to Kino's Journey, specificially "The Kind Land." Actually, right after we watched it, I said, "You're not gonna believe this, but..."

I'd say it's my personal favourite. Apparently it's also Patrick Stewart's favourite as well.

There is no way in hell they would have pulled off that last scene with a lesser actor, I'll tell you that much.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2010, 02:30:37 PM »

I thought about Star Trek: Voyager, and I came to a rather  :facepalm: -ing conclusion: The most engaging characters were an imaginary man and the eye candy.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2010, 02:46:57 PM »

In fairness I avoided that show like the plague and tried to watch as little of it as possible, but I too can say that 'Year of Hell' is the only Voyager episode I ever enjoyed.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2010, 02:47:18 PM »

The most interesting characters in Voyager were Data and Data.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2010, 03:06:32 PM »

There was a Voyager episode where Seven of Nine plugs her brain into the ship's computer and goes crazy conspiracy theorist and starting putting together theories about how Voyager's presence in the Delta quadrant was a Maquis plan to hurt the Federation, or a Federation plan to steal the Caretaker's array, or a Federation plan to capture a Borg drone.  It's pretty amusing, if only because she raises a lot of very legitimate questions about the plot holes in the series's premise.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2010, 06:22:15 PM »

The most interesting characters in Voyager were Data and Data.

I'm often a defender of Voyager. For instance, I don't really understand why everyone seems to hate Janeway. What does she actually do that annoys you all so much?

But Disposeable Ninja's statment there is pretty much the truest statement about the series I've heard in a long time. They totally copped out and went for a double Data. One of them was a hot babe too!
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2010, 08:26:34 PM »

She's a sanctimonious mass murdering hypocritical sociopath painted as the good guy.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2010, 08:29:02 PM »

I hated it because the plots were artifical and impermanent, because Trek had gone over to fanboy-flavoured writing, and - the worst crime - because none of the characters were likeable or even interesting.

Like part of the reason people wanted "year of hell" to really happen, was because hey, something with actual PERMANENT IMPACT would happen, instead of the usual episode of Highway to Heaven, but also because nobody gave a fuck about any of the characters.

I mean, the doctor was cool, but then they erased his memory! And THAT of all things they made permanent!

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2010, 08:30:08 PM »

She's a sanctimonious mass murdering hypocritical sociopath painted as the good guy.

Hell, let's call a spade a spade.

They put some tits in a skintight suit to sell a sinking show.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2010, 08:36:16 PM »

i liked how the voyager came back all bad ass

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2010, 09:08:26 PM »

Hell, let's call a spade a spade.

They put some tits in a skintight suit to sell a sinking show.

I was referring to Janeway.

inb4
Quote from: Mongrel
So was I. :suave:

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2010, 09:33:35 PM »

Well, I suppose you could argue the show was sinking before it started, so...

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2010, 09:20:45 PM »

I felt that Seven was likable. She played the whole I was raised to be an automaton but now I'm around real people so I'm slowly becoming a real person thing pretty well all things considered.

She was sort of a reverse Data. He tried to be human all the time, but was held back by his artificial nature which he had to struggle with all the time. Seven wanted to try to act more human too but whenever she felt vulnerable or unsure of how to do it and self conscious, she would cling to her whole I'm a superior borg act to keep people at a comfortable distance. I think it usually worked well as a character.

I liked the Doctor because he was sort of like a version of Data who started out already being really good at seeming like a human because he was designed and coded to mimick us perfectly, but was constantly trying to reinvent himself to express that he really was an individual despite his pre-programmed facade which was actually fake. Data was never able to fake it, but his constant disappointment in the failure of his attempts to do so, revealed his very human nature. The Doctor had the opposite problem, he had an "act" that worked, so he had to tare himself away from that to actually be accepted as human.

Also, I actually liked Neelix after he got over his initial annoyingness. He was a unique character in Trek I felt, the guy who acts cheerful all the time to hide his inner uncertainty and fears. Also, I like to cook so his little cantina was cool to me.
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2010, 10:10:35 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17