Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Simpsons  (Read 12947 times)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Horrible Round Eye Animation
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2011, 10:43:01 PM »

I think I read somewhere that the actors actually commissioned a study that even if the show ended today, Fox would still reap an additional 2 billion in future revenue.

Which is to say, the actors are appropriately skeptical of Fox.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2011, 05:17:28 AM »

We're also in the middle of a recession, and there was that whole Robert Murdoch newspaper boondoggle a while back.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2011, 07:57:17 PM »

Everybody's stupid except me.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Simpsons
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2011, 02:04:42 AM »

One of many tipoffs that the whole thing is nonsense is the part of the story where they claim it'll only have one more season anyway, even if they reach a deal.  Stopping at 24?  Does that sound right to anybody?  JUST SHY of the 25th-anniversary marketing blitz?

That being said (and I know the marketing blitz isn't remotely the same), Law and Order did stop literally one season before they would have officially been the longest running prime time drama of all time.  So you know, TV executives don't necessarily care about that kind of milestone if they're going to be making their syndication dollars anyway.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2011, 06:35:13 AM »

Yeah, but... I don't really think that Law & Order has as much to celebrate as The Simpsons does. 126 episodes about Mothers who go to jail for accidentally murdering their babies and then lie about it?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2011, 09:46:03 PM »

...I guess I probably shouldn't be surprised that people are STILL arguing with me.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2011, 02:23:46 AM »

Nah, I agree with you.  I just felt like pointing it out because it's a decision that still really kinda baffles me.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2011, 01:08:43 PM »

Something occurred to me recently: while Family Guy's spent the last couple seasons trying to focus on actual plots and characters instead of just cutting away to references to other things and general weirdness, Simpsons has been going in much the opposite direction.

And, while Family Guy has had limited success focusing on its characters (because its cast consists of Brian, Stewie, and a bunch of one-note gag characters), Simpsons has pulled off some pretty good shit when it's broken form.  The couch gags by Banksy and John K were both excellent, and the best episode of last year was Angry Dad: The Movie, entirely on the strength of its pastiches of cartoons by Aardman, Pixar, et al.  And that Muppet episode wasn't bad either.

So of course one of the many things that's vexing about The Simpsons' general lack of quality is that it really is just a couple of fresh ideas away from being GOOD.

I'd love to see them continue with stuff like this.  To hell with the stock sitcom plots, I want more weirdness.  I want them to get more surprise artists, even if it's only to storyboard a single scene.

The latest Treehouse of Horror comic is phenomenal, and it's because they got a fantastic indy comics artist to do it in a different style and play the whole thing up as an homage to the EC era.  (Which actually describes most Treehouse of Horror comics, but they played it up even more this year.)  I realize it's a lot more expensive to change up art styles in a cartoon than a comic, but the show's got plenty of damn money no matter what Fox may say.

The other problem is, they pay their writers shit.  Presumably that's why all the best ones are off doing more lucrative things now.  I'd love to see a season 25 where each classic writer scripts an episode -- one for Brad Bird, one for Conan O'Brien, one for Jason Schwartzwelder, and so on -- but that's only slightly more likely than Phil Hartman coming back to the show.

More's the pity.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2011, 02:39:31 PM »

And, while Family Guy has had limited success focusing on its characters (because its cast consists of Brian, Stewie, and a bunch of one-note gag characters)

I had a conversation with a friend recently where, taking into account that the show actually does have a canon of sorts, everyone on Family Guy is an absolutely reprehensible human being, with the sole exception of Greased Up Deaf Guy. Everyone on the show has shown that they're a sociopath in some way or another, or just a flat out asshole.

That may or may not be a conscious decision, but still, it was kind of amazing to realize everyone had pulled enough dick moves to land themselves in assholeville over the course of the series.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2011, 03:27:57 PM »

tbf the Simpsons really ought to end up the way the cast of Seinfeld did too.

I think Homer in particular was really ramping up to be an irredeemable douchebag for a while there, but everything since the Movie seems to be an attempt to soften his brutish image.  And of course Bart's been neutered for so long that there are people in college who probably don't know why he was once considered a controversial character.

On the other hand the females will do something arbitrarily terrible every other episode now in an attempt to be "different" so I guess it's really just a redistribution of dickishness.  Redickstribution.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2011, 05:49:13 PM »

I had a conversation with a friend recently where, taking into account that the show actually does have a canon of sorts, everyone on Family Guy is an absolutely reprehensible human being, with the sole exception of Greased Up Deaf Guy. Everyone on the show has shown that they're a sociopath in some way or another, or just a flat out asshole.

I think it shows remarkable self-awareness that MacFarlane has made Brian into such a shallow, self-righteous prick, and has everybody else across MULTIPLE SHOWS constantly call attention to that fact, given that he's pretty clearly a Mary Sue.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2011, 07:12:58 AM »

This week's The Line It Is Drawn features Simpsons/comic book (mostly superhero) mashups and is amazing.  And possibly NSFW.

This is seriously the kind of shit I'd love to see the show do.  Ned teaming up with the Demon?  I'd watch at least one episode of that.

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2011, 02:47:52 PM »

CatLady

oh god NOOOOOOOO

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2011, 06:16:01 PM »

Hey, tonight's is pretty good!

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2012, 06:15:17 PM »

...why did they just use the Sideshow Bob music cue in an episode that doesn't have Sideshow Bob in it?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2012, 06:30:05 PM »

Well, the Back to the Future one was pretty okay.

...but the "Sad Wolverine" line in the first minute of Bob's Burgers made me laugh harder than the entire preceding 90 minutes.

Seriously, I love Bob's Burgers.

EDIT: Aw, but then Bob's Burgers made the exact same Warriors reference that The Cleveland Show just made.   ::(:

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2012, 07:39:31 PM »

Don't watch the Cleveland Show. You'll be happier.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2012, 07:41:09 PM »

I didn't, really.  Mostly I was in the other room making a chicken sandwich.  But I still caught the Warriors reference.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2012, 08:46:11 PM »

Simpsons to make episode based on 22-year-old script written on spec by a young fan named Judd Apatow.

I expect it'll be one of the better episodes of the next couple of years, even if it WAS the first damn thing Apatow ever wrote.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6