Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22]

Author Topic: I'm a Star Wars  (Read 37919 times)

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: I'm a Star Wars
« Reply #420 on: June 20, 2013, 06:39:27 AM »

Well, they do want to make sure the actor is a good fit for the role.
...but is it art?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: October 07, 2013, 04:43:34 PM »

I’m firmly in the “let it die” camp when it comes to Star Wars, but if any good could come out of a seventh Star Wars movie, I figured that at least it would finally be done without the cat-fur-covered hand of George Lucas drawing CGI gophers all over the pages. Lucas didn’t write or direct the best Star Wars movie, after all. But according to George’s son, Jett, selling off the property to Disney hasn’t stopped Ol’ Racecar Bed from trying to Backseat Jar Jar the entire thing, and apparently he talks with director JJ Abrams “constantly.”

Read more: http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2013/10/george-lucas-talking-to-jj-abrams-about-star-wars-constantly#ixzz2h5e2c9tx

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 10, 2013, 06:55:54 PM »

(Continuing discussion from the Quotes thread.)

While it is clear even from that context that Lucas always meant "other people fucking with the artist's work", there are still a couple reasons why it would have been nice if he had paid more attention to himself:

1. He hits some of the specifics of what he considers "damaging" fairly directly, especially and wrenchingly:

Tommorrow, more advanced technology will be able to replace actors with "fresher faces," or alter dialogue and change the movement of the actor's lips to match.

But more concretely and much more importantly:

2. The idea that Star Wars is George Lucas's work -- solely, for him alone to alter and deprecate without regard to the hundreds of other people who put their own hard work into the film, the actors who were cut out of vital scenes and replaced with more studio-friendly counterparts, the special effects artists whose genius exceeded the limitations of the period being written over by another CG animation, and the other producers and screenwriters and cast and crew and the director whose hands touched the canvas -- is pretty blatantly wrong, extremely demeaning to a lot of people, and has led to a lot of the problems that plagued his later efforts.

If there's any positive thing you can say about Disney taking over it's that they will probably make damn sure that no single person can take credit for what gets produced.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #423 on: October 11, 2013, 01:38:10 AM »

And let's not forget that Lucas didn't direct Empire.

(In fairness, it's also the one he fucked with least.)

It's also interesting to note the instances where charming mistakes were left in -- every version of Star Wars I've ever seen still has Luke shout "Carrie!" when he jumps out of his X-Wing at the end.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: October 11, 2013, 03:11:18 AM »

Yeah, I think the relevant criticisms are a) Star Wars was a collaborative work, not a solo job, and b) it still requires a fair bit of cognitive dissonance to complain about retroactive changes made by one person to another person's work, while rationalizing one man's decades-later changes to something he worked on himself. This is especially relevant because he's making specific reference to posterity AND specifically criticizing the original copyright owners as poor guardians of posterity. 

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 09, 2014, 06:59:22 AM »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-spinoffs-will-matter-668958

Looks like the New Continuity will be canonizing some EU stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22]