Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18

Author Topic: Aborpopulation  (Read 37712 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
Re: Abortion
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2008, 10:33:51 PM »

Thats all good and nice, but that doesn't dispute anything. You don't need to have a mental illness to be hurt by by something. Women are generally very good and at coping, even with things like daily beatings. Women 'get over' abortions, but it rarely leaves them. I speak from experience with these women and seeing strong women tear up as they open up about it. Thats not the type of information you get form studies like that. Hell, you can hardly study something like that as it takes trust to get them to open up in the first place. It's not debilitating, it doesn't cause mental illness but the whole thing just sucks.

This discussion is sort of a moot point, as I don't think any study is going to make me question my experience in this matter.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2008, 10:35:46 PM »

I'm just posting to point out that I really don't have an opinion about this issue.
...but is it art?

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2008, 10:37:26 PM »

I'm just posting to point out that I really don't have an opinion about this issue.

THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE WE MUST ALL GET ANGRY

:MENDOZAAAAA:

THAD IS A POOPIE HEAD

LaserBeing

• invisible murder cube
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2008, 11:24:03 PM »

I FEEL GREAT!

::D:

I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE BEING ANGRY

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2008, 12:01:00 AM »

We can play anecdote-versus-anecdote all we want.  The women I know who've had them didn't get teary.

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2008, 12:31:41 AM »

Perhaps you aren't rubbing their tummies the right way to obtain arcane lore.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2008, 12:58:03 AM »

My observation is that any event, given sufficient emotional weight, can cause various kinds of mental trauma. It seems to me that it would be difficult to determine empirically whether there is any additional, more directly physiological cause to link abortion and depression. But I'm also inclined to suggest that it wouldn't matter even if it did, as it wouldn't change the basic morality of the situation (whatever that may be).

That is, I find it difficult to imagine an interpretation of the issue of abortion where such relative trifles as the inclination of would-have-been mothers toward pathological sadness are the deciding factor of its legality.
...but is it art?

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2008, 01:01:15 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYCMxD4pylM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYCMxD4pylM</a>

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2008, 01:12:02 AM »

And as a final note, even though I'm going to catch shit from every direction for this, Thad didn't cite any data or link anywhere, he just said they're mostly relieved.  If that's the case, FINE.

Maybe I don't like having to dig up links every single time we have this conversation, you ASSHOLE.

"Oh!  Oh!  I can't remember what happened two months ago and Thad didn't repeat himself enough!"

Jesus Christ.  Guild is contagious.

Common denominator: My winning personality!

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2008, 01:25:38 AM »

My observation is that any event, given sufficient emotional weight, can cause various kinds of mental trauma. It seems to me that it would be difficult to determine empirically whether there is any additional, more directly physiological cause to link abortion and depression. But I'm also inclined to suggest that it wouldn't matter even if it did, as it wouldn't change the basic morality of the situation (whatever that may be).

That is, I find it difficult to imagine an interpretation of the issue of abortion where such relative trifles as the inclination of would-have-been mothers toward pathological sadness are the deciding factor of its legality.

^^^ This. Particularly the last bit. If I had anything left to say, Bongo said it. I'm hella pro choice. But it seems to me to always be a difficult, lasting choice that isn't to be taken lightly.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2008, 03:22:43 AM »

And as a final note, even though I'm going to catch shit from every direction for this, Thad didn't cite any data or link anywhere, he just said they're mostly relieved.  If that's the case, FINE.

Maybe I don't like having to dig up links every single time we have this conversation, you ASSHOLE.

"Oh!  Oh!  I can't remember what happened two months ago and Thad didn't repeat himself enough!"

... what the fuck did I do to deserve getting called an asshole?

Sorry I made you link the data you were citing in a conversation where it was relevant.  For the record, I fully fucking believed that you had such data, I just wanted to see it.  Sorry I didn't go look for it myself.  I should have recalled the content of a post from two months ago in an unrelated thread.

You win.  Abortions aren't traumatic.  Okay?  I was wrong.

I seriously consider you one of my better friends on here, Thad.  I'm trying really hard not to come off like an ignorant fuck-up with bizarro opinions.  What did I do to piss you off so much?

Det, I'm sorry we misunderstood each other.  Whenever I say "sex ed" I really mean "free birth control."  I really have no problem with making that mandatory.  Staple the condom to her panties if you have to.  I didn't intend to penalize abortions in the way that someone under 21 has to attend an alcoholism seminar every time they come within spitting distance of a beer, or anything.

Here's your post that confused me.

These quotes suggest you are in favor of mandatory sex-ed classes for women receiving legal abortions.    This would be legislation, even while it keeps the abortions legal.  Of course the information should be available to anyone who wants it, but making it mandatory no longer makes it "free".

For whatever fucking reason, I basically misread this entire post, believing you were playing Devil's Advocate for a stance that I didn't hold.  Of course we both want comprehensive sex education, the question was whether or not we wanted to force people to take it, and apparently we thought we differed on the subject or maybe not.  I'm too exhausted to figure it out or care, and it doesn't matter anyway.

I dunno.  I'm so fucking tired of this debate.  Whatever you guys want to do with abortion is fine.  I'm honestly sorry that I ever tried to talk about it here.  My opinion has officially been dragged outside and shot.

Thad's going to get pissy because I don't want to play anymore, but I hope he won't mind if I want to leave this one alone.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2008, 03:28:55 AM »

Abortion is sort of like weeding.

People-weeding.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2008, 09:18:28 AM »

Friday, lyrai, marsdragoon, other girls on the boards: What do you think about abortion, honestly? (I ask because you're girls)

Does the idea frighten or worry you? Would you ever get one assuming you became spontaneously (magically) pregnant and had a good reason to?

Everyone else:

Shut the fuck up about this question. It's just a fucking question, and nobody's twisting anyone's arm to answer. Jackasses.

Lady Duke

• Shiny Ranger
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2008, 11:27:57 AM »

I think anybody who wants an abortion should be able to get one, but obviously, it shouldn't be your only form of birth control (which some people seem to think is perfectly acceptable because they are crazy fucks).  I know that if I ever got pregnant, I'd get an abortion, because there is no way in hell that I ever want to have a child, and if I did ever want one, that's what paying a surrogate is for.  I'm not scared of them just because they're kind of dangerous sometimes--lots of things are dangerous and stupid, but having a baby would be a hell of a lot worse than an abortion in my opinion. 

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2009, 11:21:37 AM »

Obama to lift ban on funding for groups that provide abortion services overseas.

Note, this ban even extended to groups that merely provided information on abortion.

The Miniature American Flags Act of 2009 is also slated to come across Obama's desk next week.

Lady Duke

• Shiny Ranger
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2009, 11:28:12 AM »

He's my favorite president ever ;-;

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2009, 03:11:55 PM »

He's already the baby-killin'est!  He's got my vote for life!

The Artist Formerly Known As Yoji

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2009, 03:43:03 PM »

There was a ban on just providing information? That's great, because we all know how well abstinence-only education works... dammit, can't find that story about the dumbass Floridian teen who drank bleach thinking it'd work as birth control.

This is probably a little over-reaction on my part, but banning the distribution of information strikes me as kind of Orwellian.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2009, 04:41:46 PM »

There was a ban on just providing information? That's great, because we all know how well abstinence-only education works... dammit, can't find that story about the dumbass Floridian teen who drank bleach thinking it'd work as birth control.

This is probably a little over-reaction on my part, but banning the distribution of information strikes me as kind of Orwellian.

A ban on government funding of the distribution, not the distribution itself.

It's still information control, but in a different way.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18