Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22

Author Topic: Zelda Blows  (Read 35931 times)

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda Blows
« Reply #380 on: December 29, 2011, 02:44:15 PM »

Hell, Link's Awakening proved that even Link's Dreams are plagued with fights with Ganon.

Dooly

• Who?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 29, 2011, 03:38:39 PM »

Wind Waker and some of the other games flirt with this theme, but Hyrule becomes a much more depressing place when you realize Link and Ganon are eternally doomed to hitting each other over the head with foam bats, forever and ever.

Foam, huh?
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:

Nerd

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 29, 2011, 04:09:04 PM »

He'll wake up in a millennia or two with a bad headache and some kidney stones, but otherwise no worse for wear.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 29, 2011, 04:16:08 PM »

Is Ganon Dracula?

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 29, 2011, 05:04:32 PM »

I dunno.  In any Zelda, have you ever had to attack Ganondorf's first form by hitting him in the head and nowhere else?

Does he teleport around and shoot fireballs at you?

I think maybe the first one, he did.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 29, 2011, 07:13:47 PM »

Hell, Link's Awakening proved that even the Wind Fish's Dreams are plagued with fights with Ganon.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 29, 2011, 07:24:57 PM »

Well the thing is the dreams are made up of Link's experiences, they're drawn from his thoughts. Hence all the recurring characters and places that are familiar to him.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 21, 2012, 11:24:42 AM »

It's really starting to bug me how huge of a douchebag Pipit is.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 24, 2012, 11:02:33 PM »

So I thought about it on the way home and it dawned on me why I was having so many issues with Link swinging his sword in the wrong fucking direction all the time.  So I just tested it out and HYUP

The problem is I have a tendency to snap my wrist at the beginning of a lot of specific movements.  This is probably 100% from practicing martial arts where your two main power sources are your hips and your wrist (those big beefy muscles on your upper arm barely do shit but get your hand from point A to point some fucko's face).  Unfortunately the motion controls are set to basically register any sudden jerky movement as a slash, so the moment the wrist snaps the game goes "OKAY YOU CHOSE TO SLASH IN (some random cockeyed direction)" and ignores the rest of the motion.

For the curious: the snap for me comes any time I need to change the orientation of the blade.  For some reason (which is probably incredibly obvious to actual fencers) I always want to do a left slash underhanded and a right slash overhanded, and of course vertical slashes are vertical.

Now whether snapping like that is a good idea in real swordfighting or if you're holding a Skyward Sword as Enlarged as Link is something I don't know and also kind of fucking irrelevant because I don't want to learn a new martial art just to play goddam Zelda.  But there's a whole gamut of little player behaviors like that out there*, and it kind of takes a step towards explaining why people seem to have such a polar "Holy shit this thing is garbage" vs "I don't see what the problem is" experience with the thing.  I find that if you treat the controller like a wand or a small knife or a joystick floating out in space, you're golden.  Get too fancy with the thing and it gets confused, which is a shame, because that's not a function of the 'mote itself, that's the game's designers dumbing the system down to a discrete set of simple and obvious choices.

* Which, now that I think about it, was probably thoroughly tested but not internationally - the Japanese are heavily invested in a particular kind of swordfighting form in which odd behaviors like mine would most likely cause you to cut yourself in the face.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 24, 2012, 11:48:55 PM »

Japanese swords are only sharp on one side... so...

You're probably doing it "right"?

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: January 25, 2012, 11:53:13 PM »

Okay, that clinches it.  This game was designed specifically to troll me.

Basically I started thinking, right out of the blue, "Hey, you know what's nice?  I haven't seen a single torch lighting puzzle in this entire game!"

The very next room.

The very.

Next.

Room.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 26, 2012, 01:27:03 AM »

.                    .

|

.                    .

WHAT DO I DO HERE

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 26, 2012, 01:42:49 AM »

.                    .

|

.                    .

WHAT DO I DO HERE

You could start by running to the room of the three gargoyles. Push in the right tongue and a door might lead you down a staircase into the wall climb. Here, you must choose your next path. You could race up to the observatory, spin the sundial and pass into the room of the golden idols. Once there, push down on their faces to release the doors, that may take you below or lead you into the shrine of the silver monkey. Assemble the statue there and you may be headed for the torch room. If the elevator is up, you could jump into the elevator and descend into the mineshaft. You might climb up the ladder or plow through the stone wall. Find the key and it may unlock the tomb of  ancient kings, allowing you to climb into the spider's lair. If you escape, you may have a chance to sit upon the throne of the Pretender. If the correct door is unlocked, you'll be able to crawl into pit of despair and finally make you way through the cave of size, back to the temple gate. The choices are yours and yours alone. Good luck!

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 26, 2012, 07:54:47 AM »

It's pretty bad when I automatically think "Oh hey a Legends of the Hidden Temple joke" without even reading anything.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 26, 2012, 08:33:33 AM »

I actually read the first sentence and then just scanned the rest of the thing for the phrase "silver monkey".

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #395 on: January 26, 2012, 02:48:39 PM »

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 29, 2012, 01:38:12 AM »

Well the ending had me feeling a lot better about the whole thing.

And then they don't give you an option to copy your data before activating Hero Mode.  So yeah.

I'm gonna try and lay out all my thoughts about this game later, because boy howdy do I have a lot.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #397 on: January 29, 2012, 02:13:57 PM »

And then they don't give you an option to copy your data before activating Hero Mode.  So yeah.

That was irksome. At least until I realized I didn't want to get any more heart pieces, OR play hero mode...

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 29, 2012, 02:45:26 PM »

I was maybe two heart pieces away from 100% already though, so I wasn't amused.

Wasn't really bemused either.  Mostly it just snapped me out of the good feelings I had over from the ending to remind me of the 45+ hours I had to spend getting to it.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 19, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »

Here, have a long, but well written article:
But I remember.  I remember the peerless original, its unfairly-maligned sequel, and those later elements that suggested the magic had not been completely exhausted, from Wind Waker’s exuberant charm and grace to little Midna’s boundless sass.  Yet focusing on the series’ greatest moments won’t save Zelda.  Its obsession with its own conventions and culture has resulted in an insular little kingdom, walled off from the rest of gaming.  Zelda no longer has a vision of anything but itself, and the wrong parts at that.  It is choking on its own tail.

He strays into "entitled fan" territory a couple of times, but overall, a pretty good read.

Also, when I first read that chunk up there, I read "Midna's boundless sass" as "Midna's boundless ass". :ohmy:
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22