Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

IF YOU HAD TO MAKE A CHOICE, which would you want?

Keep the current map, peaceful mode
- 6 (17.6%)
Keep the current map, survival mode
- 5 (14.7%)
Generate a new map, peaceful mode
- 2 (5.9%)
Generate a new map, survival mode
- 21 (61.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 72

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 101011 times)

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #560 on: November 01, 2010, 11:31:28 AM »

Survival Mode Multiplayer is priority #1

:8D:

I wish I had more to say. But the emoticon really expresses how I feel about this news.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #561 on: November 01, 2010, 01:44:37 PM »

Survival Mode Multiplayer is priority #1

:sarcasm:

I wish I had more to say. But the emoticon really expresses how I feel about this news.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: November 01, 2010, 03:09:42 PM »

Also it looks like he'll be releasing the next updates as they come instead of saving up for a single huge patch.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 01, 2010, 04:16:50 PM »

Now plugins can break multiple times and take a day to fix themselves every update.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 01, 2010, 04:58:10 PM »

So, anyone has a convincing argument re: the common nether blocks not being the ever-burning flesh of the damned? I can't seem to shake the idea my romantic fireplace is fueled by a bloody chunk of rapist meat.

In other news, I thought I had taken the spook out of hell by turning the volume down, but having half a dozen ghasts bombard your portal as you're trying to leave with a haul of glowy dust is its own flavor of heart-pounding excitement, especially when said portal just happened to spawn on a skinny bridge linking the top of two tall mesas and is open to shots from every direction but straight down. Good thing the rest of my inventory was half bacon and half arrows.

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 01, 2010, 07:47:14 PM »

I've built little houses around each portal, even in the netherworld. Try that maybe?

Also, I think the official name for duraflame blocks is "bloodstone," so maybe you are roasting the flesh of the damned.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 02, 2010, 07:51:49 AM »

Traded a world with a buddy. He got a copy of my main save and I got one of his.
It's a very strange feeling, walking around in someone else's world. I guess that's because I only play survival.
But over all it was a good experience. Saw a few neat ideas and am trying it again soon.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #567 on: November 02, 2010, 08:09:58 AM »

I'd be up for doing this once my single-player world is a little more fleshed-out.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 02, 2010, 08:31:06 AM »

I've built little houses around each portal, even in the netherworld. Try that maybe?

That's a good idea, but I wasn't complaining, it was actually awesome being in danger like that. :D

I like the new rarity paradigm for lightstone. On one hand, chances are you have a few easily accessible stalactites when you open a portal. On the other hand, once those are exhausted, you either have to explore further and further into the nether, or build a second portal on the overworld that's extremely far from the first one on account of space compression. I have a feeling the stuff is going to be all kinds of hard to find in multiplayer.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #569 on: November 02, 2010, 08:48:19 AM »

I'm hoping there's a way to "grow" more lightstone eventually. The whole 9 Lighstone Dust = 1 Lightstone Block = 1 Lightstone Dust equation makes me nervous.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: November 02, 2010, 09:38:42 AM »

I don't mind there being a luxury resource that is acquired in a different manner than gold and diamonds and has an element of combat challenge to it. You can't obtain it just by cowering in a torchlit hole in the ground for long enough*; you need to gear up and raid, and the more you want the harder it is to get. And I'd still say it's less of a time investment than gathering lots of diamond.

And, well, other than for underwater, lightstone is just a convenience. Bloodstone is completely trivial to acquire and can take care of all your lighting needs forever.

*: Though even that's slightly harder now. The "enemy mobs spawn on light value of 7 or less" thing apparently still works on ground level, but the deeper you go, the bolder mobs get. I have bedrock-level excavations that keep surprising me with how bright they need to be to be kept critter-free.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: November 02, 2010, 09:42:46 AM »

The only way to get to the Hell biome is with an Obsidian portal, right?  Which means you need to find enough Diamonds to make a pick before you can even start?
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: November 02, 2010, 09:47:04 AM »

Well, yeah, there's the start-up time investment, but once you've got access to both areas, diamond is obtained by chance while digging, and lightstone is obtained by chipping it off the ceiling of hell while fending off fiery floating fiends. In terms of entertainment value I know what I'd rather do.  :8D:

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #573 on: November 02, 2010, 09:48:47 AM »

Right. First you have to find at least three iron deposits, forge them into bars, and make an iron pick. But you'll probably want at least three more iron to make a minimum of one bucket. I like having two, since two water blocks placed adjacent diagonally in a 2x2 depression will give you limitless water. Then find three diamond deposits and build a diamond pick. Then a natural lava spring somewhere underground, put your water block nearby so that it runs across the surface of the pool, and harvest 14 obsidian blocks. People have said you can use less, but I've never tried.
Signature:

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: November 02, 2010, 09:52:05 AM »

10 obsidian in a "O" with a space of 2x3 in the middle of the O works.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: November 02, 2010, 10:51:07 AM »

A D&D blog I read has gone Minecraft crazy and started a public server. The latest post depicts that someone has built a giant sphere. I joined and found a sign by the sphere:

GIANT SPHERE
by jsnlxndrlv

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #576 on: November 02, 2010, 10:55:38 AM »

...it's true. I was so impressed by the ORB that I wanted to try building it myself. I'm pretty sure mine's smaller, though; it's got a 33-block diameter.
Signature:

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #577 on: November 02, 2010, 11:05:06 AM »

Signature:

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: November 02, 2010, 11:14:54 AM »

So starting a new map has been challenging.  The biggest challenge is finding a cave deep enough to hold redstone/diamond/lava.  I finally found one after lots of searching.  I grabbed some redstone and a few lava buckets I could squeeze into my inventory.  Then I crafted a compass and made the looooong hike back to spawn.  I never set up a permanent base anywhere so I figured I should keep my stuff near spawn in case I died.

Now that I'm back at my spawn I'm wondering if I should search for a cave closer by or if I should make the long trek back in order to guarantee finding some lava (if I find that cave again).  I never did find diamond, but if I get 10 lava buckets I can make the obsidian in the shape of the gateway without ever having to break it.

Of course once I walk into hell, I'm going to wish I hadn't.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: November 02, 2010, 11:56:13 AM »

There should be some way to move the spawn point in single player. Eventually you're going to get bored of where you're at and want to explore elsewhere, and taking 4 days to get there every time you die is not a fun experience, even by Dwarf Fortress definitions of "fun."
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 72