Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

IF YOU HAD TO MAKE A CHOICE, which would you want?

Keep the current map, peaceful mode
- 6 (17.6%)
Keep the current map, survival mode
- 5 (14.7%)
Generate a new map, peaceful mode
- 2 (5.9%)
Generate a new map, survival mode
- 21 (61.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 72

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 101037 times)

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #640 on: November 13, 2010, 04:32:15 PM »

perfect place to make a giant glass tower with a water elevator and lightstone accents imo

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 13, 2010, 04:46:17 PM »

Water elevator?
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #642 on: November 13, 2010, 04:48:35 PM »

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: November 13, 2010, 06:32:05 PM »

Rygaron sometimes when the portal would lead you somewhere horrible and instant death like. Right into the ocean for example it will teleport you somewhere else.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 13, 2010, 06:39:32 PM »

I'm pretty sure the entrance I made is not somewhere instant death.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #645 on: November 13, 2010, 06:42:46 PM »

No, that happened to me, too. I made an entrance to the nether, warped through, stepped forward and then right back into the gate, and I came out in a spontaneous portal 50 feet from the one I'd just constructed. Both portals exist; both link to the same location in the nether; the nether gate only exits to the gate that spontaneously generated.

Also, I just realized that the guy in the video I just posted is using the same skin as I was when I first started getting on our server. Weird coincidence.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: November 13, 2010, 06:50:16 PM »

Ok, so let me explain it in further detail. Where you made your portal in the real world would have normally made it so you spawned in a bad place in the nether world so with your portal landing somewhere else it's not an exact representation of where your portal would send you back to. So if the place you were going to be was unsafe. So when you go back through the portal in the nether world it makes a polar opposite where your real world would be. Not properly connecting to your first portal because it was a invalid portal.

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: November 13, 2010, 06:52:42 PM »

That makes a lot more sense. I figured when you first entered the Nether it created it around the portal.

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: November 14, 2010, 06:06:41 AM »

Just like the world it's a pre made random world.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: November 14, 2010, 01:31:38 PM »

Found some interesting details on how light works in Minecraft.

Light on any given square is a number from 0 to 15, with 15 the highest and equivalent to direct sunlight. For every square adjacent to that square, light is one less, unless superseded by a higher light source. Each light value is 80% of the value above, such that for example 14 is 80% of direct sunlight and 13 is 64% of direct sunlight.

Fire, lanterns, lava and lightstone emit 15 light in their own square and 14 in every adjacent square. Torches emit 14 light in their own square. Portals emit 11 and redstone torches 7. Moonlight is 4.

At 0-7 light (16.78% sunlight or less), monsters will spawn. Saplings and flowers will not stay planted (night is ignored for this purpose). This is seven squares or more from a torch, or eight or more from a lantern.

At 9+ light (26.21% sunlight or greater), friendly animals will spawn on grass. This is within five squares of a torch or six of a lantern.

At 10+ light (32.77% sunlight or greater), snow and ice won't form. At 12+ (51.20 sunlight or greater), snow and ice will melt. Sunlight is ignored.

At 13+ light (64% sunlight or greater), trees will grow. A sapling needs a torch adjacent to grow underground.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: November 14, 2010, 01:58:04 PM »

The spiders have stopped spawning in my spiderpit halp

It is cloaked in near total darkness and the cage is on a flat 3x3 square and yet still they have left me :___;

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: November 14, 2010, 02:19:06 PM »

Monsters won't spawn if you're within 24 squares.

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #652 on: November 14, 2010, 06:25:18 PM »

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1012&t=84401

I suggested this mod to Brentai and he said he'd look into it. I really dig the heck out of it because it makes a long distance minecart/subway system sustainable in a variety of ways (infinite loop systems, trains on demand, etc etc etc). If this gets in I'll be spedning a good long time planning out train stations and different methods of implementation.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: November 14, 2010, 07:25:41 PM »

I'm working on putting it in, but due to circumstances it may take a bit.

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: November 14, 2010, 07:52:40 PM »

That's what she said.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: November 14, 2010, 08:35:22 PM »

I would be wary of installing any sort of gameplay-changing mods before the beta because I have a feeling they will probably break by the time multiplayer features are fully implemented.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #656 on: November 14, 2010, 08:40:55 PM »

Yeah, you all just keep waiting for that. Besides, most of this stuff is kept updating and eventually there can even be official mod support. And even if it breaks, big deal. The mod as is provides away for us to use mnecarts without destroying the server in the process. Hopefully by the time things are in beta, that won't even be necessary.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: November 14, 2010, 09:00:20 PM »

I would be wary of installing any sort of gameplay-changing mods before the beta because I have a feeling they will probably break by the time multiplayer features are fully implemented.
That was my instinct too.
But the community being what it is, new updates that break mods will probably just mean a delay of a few days to a week before an un-breaking patch or mod overhaul is done. Worst-case we rely on the rollback data I assume is being kept or just do what the majority wanted to do and restart in survival mode.

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #658 on: November 14, 2010, 09:05:56 PM »

I really doubt things will actually BREAK. All most mods do is change how the game interpets the objects and map files. Nothing I know of writes any data to the actual game file. So if the mode breaks, it means whatever subway system doesn't work because carts on gold blocks no longer give momentum. It's not going to... you know, break the map. The files that control this behavior will just get overwritten during an update and the game will behave normally.

Conversely, actual minecart physics required a small rollback, so......

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: November 14, 2010, 09:17:03 PM »

Exactly. My gut says mods are going to make resource problems like the ones that were and are present with minecart physics, tnt, and fire more likely.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 72