Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10

Author Topic: Comics for People Who Don't Read Comics  (Read 22059 times)

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Comics for People Who Don't Read Comics
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2010, 08:38:30 PM »

I think you may need to make your definition slightly narrower.

In the meantime, I'm going to read the whole of the boards and be slightly aroused and ashamed.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2010, 08:46:04 PM »

Good God this whole board is just one enormous upskirt shot.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Oh good I made the same joke as Classic.

Wwwwwelp.

The Darwin Awards Dumbass Rocket Car Man

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2010, 09:17:36 PM »

I call anything I wouldn't want someone I want to respect me see me looking at a fan service.

Poison River is pretty much just a long string of full frontal trannies.

Just what Luba fans had been clamoring for for 15 years!

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2010, 07:12:19 AM »

Generally I read something until it stops being good, unless it suddenly stops being good right before the finale or something (like Scott Pilgrim, which I will finish eventually even though I honestly don't like any of the characters anymore).
Usually that means I either read something to the end or drop it after only one or two volumes. I am okay with this system.
I always finish a series. If I start out liking it and tastes change or the books change or something, I always finish. A story is being told, and I need to finish it.  If not I feel a terrible shame until I finally do.
So I've read a series I started out liking and then hated it two books in. I didn't like it, but I'm not a sociopath.

Well...

No. I'm not a sociopath.
There's this annoying smartass guy who occasionally comes into the store and tries to sell anime to the employees (if he can't get trade credit). One day he tried to pawn off his Naruto manga collection. While talking about it, he said that it didn't get really good until somewhere around volume 47.
So, of course, I inquired as to why the hell someone would read 46 volumes of something they didn't like.

I just do not understand the idea of buying all this stuff if you're not enoying it.

I am really glad I'm over my shameless manga and anime addiction.

Kashan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2010, 07:39:58 AM »

I buy a lot of comics I don't really like all that much because I'm attached to characters that are being written poorly, or I like the author but he's not writing well in the particular book, or because the writing team has just changed and I'm still not sure how I feel about the new writing team. Thankfully I've managed to move away from buying books just because I've liked the character in the past. I still read a lot of shitty Bendis stuff just because I he's written some of my favorite comics though.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2010, 07:47:18 AM »

I actually wish I still had a lingering Anime or Manga addiction, but the last time I saw anything I liked, it was Samurai Champloo, and even that was a lone bright spot after what had already been a drought of several years. Literally the only Japanese-origin fiction of any kind I still purchase is Blade of the Immortal. And that's about 75% for the flat out incredible artwork (I'll buy books with mediocre or even terrible stories if the art's good enough, but it takes a REALLY amazing story for me to put up with art I dislike - sorry Oda, you lose this round, at least at my house anyway).

I mean, okay, I haven't hung out with any otaku in real life since I left University, so I don't have folks to sift through Anime for me anymore (Sorry guys, but the Manga/Anime you love here are just kinda meh for me), but I still go to the comic store regularly and scan the Manga sections. But there's sweet fuck all that caters to my tastes so uh, oh well.

Saves money I suppose.

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2010, 08:51:41 AM »

At this point I just read Fullmetal Alchemist (only four volumes left yaaaaaay) and anything by Osamu Tezuka (oh god this addiction will last forever).

I'll admit, though, I have a bad habit of buying the biggest, nicest, most expensive versions of books that I want to read; even if I've never read the series and thus am not that sure that I'll enjoy them.

On a side note, I'm going to have to take a picture of the Tintin set at some point, because there don't seem to be any pictures that are of the actual thing and not the ugly mockup.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 21, 2010, 09:29:39 AM »

I actually wish I still had a lingering Anime or Manga addiction, but the last time I saw anything I liked, it was Samurai Champloo, and even that was a lone bright spot after what had already been a drought of several years. Literally the only Japanese-origin fiction of any kind I still purchase is Blade of the Immortal. And that's about 75% for the flat out incredible artwork (I'll buy books with mediocre or even terrible stories if the art's good enough, but it takes a REALLY amazing story for me to put up with art I dislike - sorry Oda, you lose this round, at least at my house anyway).

I mean, okay, I haven't hung out with any otaku in real life since I left University, so I don't have folks to sift through Anime for me anymore (Sorry guys, but the Manga/Anime you love here are just kinda meh for me), but I still go to the comic store regularly and scan the Manga sections. But there's sweet fuck all that caters to my tastes so uh, oh well.

Saves money I suppose.

There's fuckall in terms of decent anime & manga out nowadays. Gurren Lagann is superb as an anime, but trips on it's face as a manga. Nearly every series I'm buying are because it's book 15 or 33 or 26 and I like it just enough to continue to spend a minor amount (woo woo online shopping freebies) to keep it up.

I can't think of the last thing I truely -enjoyed- that was made within the past few years.

Actually, Mongrel, if you'll put up with artwork covering a bland or mediocre story, look up the manga series "Jing: King of Bandits", and it's sequel, "Jing: King of Bandits: Twilight Tales"

It takes just long enough to find itself and get moving that you start to wonder if it's really good, but I remember finding the artwork so outstanding (to me, at least) that I bought all the books I could the day I found it.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »

Fortunately, the comics that are collected in nice hardcover editions are usually pretty good excellent:

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2010, 10:17:55 AM »

That Far Side set looks neat. If I were a bigger fan, I'd get it.
(also, in case anyone wanted to know, the C&H, Sandman, and Tintin sets I posted are all excellent)

There's fuckall in terms of decent anime & manga out nowadays.
[...]
I can't think of the last thing I truely -enjoyed- that was made within the past few years.
That's why most of the manga I read is at least twenty years old.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2010, 10:59:27 AM »

At this point I just read Fullmetal Alchemist (only four volumes left yaaaaaay) and anything by Osamu Tezuka (oh god this addiction will last forever).

I'll admit, though, I have a bad habit of buying the biggest, nicest, most expensive versions of books that I want to read; even if I've never read the series and thus am not that sure that I'll enjoy them.

On a side note, I'm going to have to take a picture of the Tintin set at some point, because there don't seem to be any pictures that are of the actual thing and not the ugly mockup.

Heh, that's the same Tintin box set I bought after I let my brother take ownership of our original childhood collection.

I guess I'd buy nice box sets of Calvin & Hobbes or the Far Side, but I already have all the original books, so never mind.

I do mean to eventually pick up more Tezuka (with which I am familiar, but only actually own Swallowing The Earth) and every now and again I think about actually buying Lupin III manga (which I am somewhat aware of, but have never actually read), though the size of the latter daunts me a bit. I've never been a huge fan of these neverending series (though Lupin's more like a sitcom with a fuckton of episiodes, than any of the flavourless melodrama epics produced nowadays). As an added advantage, both old series are dirt cheap.

I've also kind of wanted to read that Aces in Heaven (or whatever it's called) 80's series about mercenary fighter pilots that Geo always loved, but as he's mentioned it's unavailable everywhere and they've never collected the original issues.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2010, 01:36:33 PM »

Mongrel, the Far Side Collection has comics that aren't in any of the other books :D

MarsDragon

• NO FUCKS LEFT TO GIVE
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2010, 01:57:57 PM »

I've also kind of wanted to read that Aces in Heaven (or whatever it's called) 80's series about mercenary fighter pilots that Geo always loved, but as he's mentioned it's unavailable everywhere and they've never collected the original issues.

Area 88, and yeah, it's great. It was one of Viz's first titles and as a result it's been completely forgotten nowadays. I don't think they ever actually finished bringing the manga over, either, and a good chunk of the run was published in Animerica. It's basically impossible to get a hold of now.

I really wish they'd collect it and finish bringing it over, but that seems unlikely at this point.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2010, 03:06:38 PM »

Mongrel, the Far Side Collection has comics that aren't in any of the other books :D

Are they the ones in the Ten-Year anniversary book? because if so, I've got 'em.

And if not it's okay. I don't think anything will ever beat 'Gary Larsen's childhood as depicted by Gary Larsen.'

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2010, 06:56:38 PM »

I do mean to eventually pick up more Tezuka (with which I am familiar, but only actually own Swallowing The Earth)
I have all of his cwork currently available in English (except for a few out of print books), if you need any recommendations! :cake:

(note: any request for Tezuka book recommendations will be met with a response of "ALL OF THEM")

Nerd

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2010, 07:26:58 PM »

So hey, there's a new Darkwing Duck comic out.  I don't know how far removed this is from posting about Sonic comics on here, but still, the book is pretty good!  It's sort of a blend of The Incredibles, Office Space, and the slapstick of the TV show.  All of the gags and fan-service (as well as the digs at other Disney media and corporate America) are great, but I'm more impressed that they added some genuine pathos to a cartoon duck in a ridiculous purple suit without getting in the way of the jokes.  The latest issue (#3) was a tad more serious, explaining how DW's secret identity was compromised, leading to him hanging up his cape and working as a menial office drone at the beginning of this series.  Highly recommended to fat neck-bearded cartoon fans, but it's still an enjoyable read without the nostalgia goggles. 

Really, though, I just wanted an excuse to post this panel.

LaserBeing

• invisible murder cube
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2010, 11:59:35 PM »

...OK that picture raises some serious questions.

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2010, 07:40:43 AM »

It sounds neat. I'm a huge fan of Ducktales, Carl Barks comics, etc; but I've never seen an episode of Darkwing Duck soooo :shrug:

Nerd

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2010, 09:23:12 AM »

You don't really NEED to have seen the show to get it, but some of the jokes and reveals won't have the same impact without at least some passing familiarity with the series (there's one major reference to the pilot episode).  The show is pretty youtubeable, if you care.  You could basically watch the pilot then any episode after that.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 04, 2010, 12:43:22 AM »

Re: Quesda-man Divorce comics:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10