Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 101

Author Topic: The Rynwold Pantheon (D&D 4e)  (Read 86646 times)

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: The Rynwold Pantheon (D&D 4e)
« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2011, 10:47:42 AM »

Francisca waits back with vivi and pithama. "This is what teamwork is all about.", she whispers, mostly to herself. "Everyone does what they do best."

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2011, 12:26:13 PM »

Pitamaha was there, too. "The anticipation," he muttered to himself. "This, I remember."
...but is it art?

JDigital

• Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2011, 12:31:25 PM »

The corridor ahead leads down a short stairway into a wide, tall chamber with torches at the far end illuminating a large stone anvil shaped altar. The room appears empty - the dwarves who walked into this room are not here.

The walls, and floor are etched along with a single continuous line of dwarvish runes and a smell of incense fills the air. A great number of footsteps suggest this room is frequently visited, probably a place of worship.

Ampersand's Perception: 9 + 5 = 14. You didn't hear a switch, only the scraping of stone on stone.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2011, 12:53:49 PM »

Ampersand's Perception: 9 + 5 = 14. You didn't hear a switch, only the scraping of stone on stone.

[Active was higher than passive at 14? I'd thought prior to this example that passive perception takes precedence if it's higher. I'm probably wrong about what I'm reading here, the rules or it probably won't change the outcome, but I'd still like edification myself, so I'll try to look it up.]

[After some googlin': What I'm reading here backs my prior understanding.]

[What do you mean stop rules lawyering a game I'm not even in? Shut up, voice in my head!]

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2011, 01:02:32 PM »

Vivi will idle with Grandpa and Franny. "Hey, Grandpa, this is boring. Tell me a story."

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2011, 01:29:36 PM »

Francisca moves a little bit away and mutters something under her breath, the only things vivi and pitamaha can make out are "Four bestselling novels" and "Critical acclaim"

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2011, 01:53:26 PM »

Dog moves in to check the room himself. "Trapdoors? Secret tunnels. Love these kind of things, don't you?"
He looks around and tries to see if anything looks familiar as a switch or panel to open a hidden door.

(Dungeoneering +5)

JDigital

• Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2011, 02:04:03 PM »

Dog's Dungeoneering: Natural 20 + 5 = 25. The line of runes disguses a set of grooves on the floor along which the stone altar can be pushed. The altar itself is hollow and easier to push than it looks. Underneath where the altar stood is a very narrow staircase leading downward into the cold darkness.

A chain mechanism built into the altar looks like it can move the altar from below, to open or close the passageway from inside.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2011, 02:17:56 PM »

"I always love secret passages." He frowns and looks down the stairs. "They never lead anywhere I like though."

"Who's heading in first?"

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2011, 02:48:35 PM »

"I'll volunteer if someone carries a torch," Briar offers. "I need both hands, y'see."

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2011, 03:32:22 PM »

Dog grabs one of his sunrods and activates it.
"After you." He turns to the others. "Best to not use their torches. They might see 'em missing and think something's up."

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 15, 2011, 04:08:26 PM »

Briar hefts her axe and begins to stalk down the tunnel, peering into the stygian depths ahead, her muscles tensed for action.

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2011, 04:43:04 PM »

Francisca follows close behind, she would be worrying about how everything really doesn't seem to be going to plan, but most things don't go to plan anyway.

She whispers, "If anything happens, let's just take it easy, okay? We don't know what we're dealing with here."

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2011, 05:48:43 PM »

Guess me and Grandpa better join the others going into that secret passage.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2011, 05:51:29 PM »

Yes, we'll bring up the rear.
...but is it art?

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2011, 06:59:16 PM »

Ampersand heads in with the group after Dog. Right hand on the hilt of his sword, his crossbow ready with a bolt in his left.

JDigital

• Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2011, 07:49:29 PM »

The corridor ahead has two small alcoves at either side which each house a life-size marble statue of a dwarf. One wears heavy armour with a horned helmet, while the other wears robes. The corridor is ten feet wide and tall with an arched ceiling.

It leads to a chamber eighty feet wide and forty long, with exits to the north and east. The floor is inlaid with the stone burial coffins of many dwarves, which must be at least a century old. But all is not right: several of the coffins have been unearthed or opened, leaving gaping pits, and the floor is strewn with rubble and pieces of dwarf skeleton. Around the edge of the chamber are stood suits of old plate armour dirtied with red rust.

Suddenly, a red light springs from the eye-holes of the armour, and they shudder into movement as if animated by spirits. The suits of armour begin to leak blood and seem to breathe as if alive, their breath condensing in the cold air to a faint red mist. Three of the skeletons climb out of pits and spontaneously drag themselves back together, and lift chunks of rubble to throw across the chamber at the intruders.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2011, 07:52:37 PM »

act like a dwarf

(bluff +8)

JDigital

• Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2011, 08:02:44 PM »

Initiative rolls: Fran 18, OPPONENTS 17, Pit 15, Ampersand 15, Briar 15, Vivi 5, Dog 5. For expediency we're using group initiative - on the PC's turn, everyone can act in any order they like. Since Fran beat the opponents, she gets to take a round of actions first, like so:

1: Fran's turn
2: Opponent's turn
3: PCs' turn, including Fran
4+: Repeat steps 2/3

Neither side gets a surprise round this time.

Here's a nethack style battle map. Copy-paste this in 'pre' tags when you take your turn, showing what you've moved; use the dice roller to make your own rolls for expediency, using the stats given at the bottom of the map. Put a note at the bottom if you apply a status effect.

Note that the text is taller than it is wide. Four dots horizontally is the same as four dots vertically. It may help to copy-paste it into Notepad or something with a fixed-width font to edit, then paste the result back into your post.

#..#
       #..#
       #..#
########..########
#..a...3..4......#
#..=.b=....=..=..#
#..=..=....=c.=.5####
#1...................
#2...................
#..=.=..BD..=.=.6####
#..=.=.F..&.=.=..#
#.......PV.......#
########..########
       #..#
       #..#
      ##..##
      #....# <---alcoves
      ##..##
       #..#
       #.#
       #<# <--- stairs

Key:
# Wall
. Empty square
= Pit
BDFPV& the player characters
123456 Suits of armour: HP 1 AC 19 Fort 16 Ref 15 Will 14 Resist 5 fire.
abc Dwarf skeletons: HP 31 AC 16 Fort 13 Ref 14 Will 13 Immune disease/poison Resist 5 necrotic Vulnerable 5 radiant. Has a trigger that occurs when marked.

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2011, 03:33:38 AM »

Francisca takes a step to the right and excitedly points her hand out between briar and dog, pointing at the nearest skeleton. Jabbing her index finger at it. "You can have the honour of being the first to be defeated by the heroes of this story, we're gonna kick your boney old behind!"

[Casting vicious mockery, Succeeded in the dice roll, got 10 damage.]

#..#
       #..#
       #..#
########..########
#..a...3..4......#
#..=.b=....=..=..#
#..=..=....=c.=.5####
#1...................
#2...................
#..=.=..BD..=.=.6####
#..=.=..F.&.=.=..#
#.......PV.......#
########..########
       #..#
       #..#
      ##..##
      #....# <---alcoves
      ##..##
       #..#
       #.#
       #<# <--- stairs

Key:
# Wall
. Empty square
= Pit
BDFPV& the player characters
123456 Suits of armour: HP 1 AC 19 Fort 16 Ref 15 Will 14 Resist 5 fire.
abc Dwarf skeletons: HP 31 AC 16 Fort 13 Ref 14 Will 13 Immune disease/poison Resist 5 necrotic Vulnerable 5 radiant. Has a trigger that occurs when marked.

[Skeleton c on 21 HP, with -2 on attack rolls until the end of my next turn]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 101