Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

IF YOU HAD TO MAKE A CHOICE, which would you want?

Keep the current map, peaceful mode
- 6 (17.6%)
Keep the current map, survival mode
- 5 (14.7%)
Generate a new map, peaceful mode
- 2 (5.9%)
Generate a new map, survival mode
- 21 (61.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 72

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 101026 times)

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #140 on: September 23, 2010, 06:49:11 PM »

When I encountered it in the game, I assumed it was just some sort of fault-block mountain simulation. Now that I can see just how widespread it is, yeah, it's more apparently an error.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 23, 2010, 07:02:12 PM »

That's what happens when Kefka gets a hold of your world.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #142 on: September 23, 2010, 07:16:27 PM »

I think it has more to do with the world only generating as people travel, and our spawn point moving around some. As, it generated one way (from the middle out, and then when the spawn point moved like 2 miles Northwest it generated from that direction back toward home. That's happened a handful of times so our map has some interesting islands and quirks. But don't put some stuff past bored users. Also, saying what should and shouldn't 'be' in a game that has a fuck ton of known bugs and is barely in alpha is hilariously obtuse.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 23, 2010, 07:19:17 PM »

Actually that's a pretty accurate description of my job.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #144 on: September 23, 2010, 08:22:29 PM »

Guys, I don't think we should have to set ground rules, but if we do, we do. 1 Don't fuck other people's shit up. At all. 2. The further you go from spawn the less nice it is to my computer, its not an issue to go find a home somewhere off on your own, but if you walk 10 miles from spawn to make something, it makes the map a lot bigger and the server lags more. 3. Don't start random forests on fire, the trees burn forever and it hammers the server. Those are the only problems we're having so far, so thats not too bad!

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #145 on: September 23, 2010, 08:56:50 PM »

My theory is when notch updates worldgen, the seeds change and new areas fuck up like that.

Esperath

• chesse nab
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2010, 09:42:21 PM »

My latest creation: the Lava Pyramid!

To get here, go pretty much straight forward from spawn, past the floating island.  It's out in the sea.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2010, 10:38:37 PM »

Oh, nice. Is that all from one lava spawn block?

Esperath

• chesse nab
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2010, 11:23:14 PM »

No, I fucked it up and had to drop a bunch of lava to fix it.  Apparently lava will flow along the diagonals if you make a diamond pyramid, but just flows straight down if you have a square pyramid.  I ended up with lava racing stripes to begin with. :3

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #149 on: September 24, 2010, 01:56:00 AM »

Not pictured, me shoving Esperath off the cliff he was on to take those pictures just because :D

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: September 24, 2010, 04:36:51 AM »

So I seemed to hit a rare cave yesterday. I found Records, Daimonds, Monsters, a perfectly laid out lava and water deposit coliding into eachother constantly for obsidian, and gunpowder for TnT.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 24, 2010, 05:31:45 AM »

Do we really need someone stealing people's shit? Malikial had all of his iron and coal stolen a few days ago, and now someone took some stacks of glass from my chest. If you are borrowing stuff, can you at least leave a sign saying so?

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 24, 2010, 05:39:05 AM »

It was me that took your glass I didn't think of putting a sign, I was going to replace it when I had time to cook some more in my furnaces tonight. I'm stupid about the sign sorry.

Edit: I made him some glass, crisis averted, he loves me again.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #153 on: September 24, 2010, 09:13:40 AM »

Is the server down? My attempts to connect keep timing out, when ordinarily it's my login information that hangs.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #154 on: September 24, 2010, 09:22:35 AM »

Try now, sorry my no-ip thing fucked up.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #155 on: September 24, 2010, 09:24:45 AM »

No problem, man. It's just nice that we all have somewhere to play together!
Signature:

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 24, 2010, 04:22:31 PM »

I gotta say I hope one of the modes he is working on is some kind of escalating survival / hardcore mode where more and more horrifying things assail you every night in a sort of tower defenseish way, and you have to last x amount of nights or just move on to the amazing endless mode where your entire world becomes a deathtrap for monsters as you ascend to godhood.  That would be the Bee's Knees.

Basically I want roguelike Tecmo's Deception blockland.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 24, 2010, 05:34:05 PM »

So I seemed to hit a rare cave yesterday. I found Records, Daimonds, Monsters, a perfectly laid out lava and water deposit coliding into eachother constantly for obsidian, and gunpowder for TnT.

Praytell, what's the structure of that infinite obsidian farm?
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #158 on: September 24, 2010, 06:46:36 PM »

Obsidian is only formed during worldgen. Later collisions make cobblestone instead.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #159 on: September 24, 2010, 07:35:52 PM »

Not quite. It's possible to form new blocks of obsidian after world gen, but it destroys the lava.

Water and lava have "generative" blocks that flow into surrounding spaces: the ocean surface is made up of these. When two generative water blocks are connected diagonally, and the space adjacent to both of them has one of a set of permissible solid blocks underneath it, that space will also become a generative block. However, generative lava blocks don't reproduce in this way.

So: water that touches flowing lava creates cobblestone... but water that touches one of these generative blocks of lava creates obsidian. You can create new obsidian, but since the generative square of lava is consumed in the process, it's not possible to set up a limitless obsidian farm at this time.
Signature:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 72