Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

IF YOU HAD TO MAKE A CHOICE, which would you want?

Keep the current map, peaceful mode
- 6 (17.6%)
Keep the current map, survival mode
- 5 (14.7%)
Generate a new map, peaceful mode
- 2 (5.9%)
Generate a new map, survival mode
- 21 (61.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 72

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 101030 times)

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #160 on: September 24, 2010, 09:26:25 PM »

newbie, when you talk that way, I feel like I'm sitting on the nozzle of a big metal tank that says YALE.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #161 on: September 24, 2010, 09:58:10 PM »

Teodor may be kind of a douche, but his question about Spaghetti's Dad was pretty insightful.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 24, 2010, 10:16:35 PM »

So: water that touches flowing lava creates cobblestone... but water that touches one of these generative blocks of lava creates obsidian. You can create new obsidian, but since the generative square of lava is consumed in the process, it's not possible to set up a limitless obsidian farm at this time.

Envy seems to think he's found one, is the thing.

I've heard tell that it's not specifically the Lava Springs that generate Obsidian, but any Lava square that's still.  There might be something can be done with hitting the square directly underneath a Lava Spring, but every time i try to experiment in single player i get killed by zombies or can't find iron or can't find lava.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #163 on: September 24, 2010, 10:21:15 PM »

I've heard tell that it's not specifically the Lava Springs that generate Obsidian, but any Lava square that's still.  There might be something can be done with hitting the square directly underneath a Lava Spring, but every time i try to experiment in single player i get killed by zombies or can't find iron or can't find lava.

This actually makes sense. I was somehow able to generate multiple blocks of obsidian in the same spot and wasn't sure whether I was just misremembering where I'd been getting it from or whether the wiki was just mistaken. I think it's the latter.

Still pretty challenging to do, though.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 24, 2010, 10:25:05 PM »

I believe you have to trap the lava first to make it stop flowing, and then pour the water into it.  You probably have to selectively cut off or kill the spawn block to do this.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 25, 2010, 03:53:00 AM »

My castle there on the bottom-left, completely overshadowed by the inverse pyramid.
Zed's giant doohickey is literally blocking the view of my project ::(:

:nyoro~n: i thought i was far enough in the outskirts when i set down the first block

Zed, I think I heard you were trying to build a sphere last night.  If you're having trouble, use this circle grid to help out.  It's been a life saver for me, and making a sphere using it shouldn't be too much trouble.

Heheh, I plan all my circles in zoomed-the-hell-in mspaint with the grid turned on, so this seems a little familiar. I didn't think of making a big template like that though, so thanks.

That said, I tore the ball down, but it's not because I had trouble (though I did go about it in a retarded way) , but because I suddenly thought of something more interesting to do with the place.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 25, 2010, 10:03:11 AM »

Oh, while I'm thinking about it...

A little while ago, I made a very basic autohotkey script that simulates holding down the left mouse button when I click my fourth mouse button. I don't know how I managed to mine before I had it. And it's only cheating if you believe the authentic Minecraft experience includes wearing your index finger down to the bone. It doesn't make you mine any faster or anything like that.

In any case, here's a standalone version of the script in case you're interested: http://zedpower.dreamhosters.com/misc/MiningBuddy.exe

It should work even without autohotkey installed. Run it, then hit your 4th mouse button, and you will swing continuously; simply left-click once to stop swinging. The program puts a white-H-on-green-square icon in your system tray, which you can right-click to shut it down once you're done.

I could make it work with other keys or buttons instead of mouse4 but at that point you'd probably be better off getting autohotkey yourself, it's really not a difficult program to work with, plus it's free and open-source and all that hippie crap. (If you do have or get autohotkey, the script is this single line: XButton1::Send {Click down}. Change XButton1 to whatever. Clicking the left mouse button for real sends the Click up event, so that's really all you need.)

Oh, and, uh, this is only for Windows. And I didn't put a virus in there but who knows, it's the Internet amirite guys? Software provided as is, no warranties, it probably won't make your computer explode but if it does I wash my hands of it, and that'll be my defense in court moments before they put me in the chair.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 25, 2010, 04:30:54 PM »

I finished my Public Storage building behind the spawn point, so if you're looking for a place to get/dump stuff just go /home and do a 180.  Hopefully enough people start using it that the spawn hub can pretty much serve as everybody's one-stop shop for materials.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #168 on: September 25, 2010, 05:08:50 PM »

I'm determined to find something to do with cactus blocks.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 25, 2010, 05:10:56 PM »

Build an enormous model of one of the cactus enemies from Mario Bros. Use obsidian blocks for the eyes and mouth. Surround the ground around it with sand.
...but is it art?

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 25, 2010, 05:35:42 PM »

I'm determined to find something to do with cactus blocks.
Giant Cactaur.

Esperath

• chesse nab
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 25, 2010, 05:53:16 PM »

Cactus block placement is irritating to deal with.  Cactus needs to be on sand and all eight adjacent blocks need to be empty.  On the plus side, the block on *top* of the cactus can be sand, so you can stack cactus.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #172 on: September 25, 2010, 06:03:30 PM »

Cactuses can be placed diagonally, it's not an 8 square void.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 25, 2010, 07:32:53 PM »

since the game went pay to play, I won't be on until sometime next week. Consequently, developed on Skull Castle will be on hiatus.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile

Esperath

• chesse nab
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 25, 2010, 09:26:11 PM »

ahh I am getting eaten by spiders

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #176 on: September 25, 2010, 09:53:26 PM »

Stop blowing shit up. Seriously. Its fucking up my computer D:

Esperath

• chesse nab
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 25, 2010, 11:04:14 PM »

wasn't me

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #178 on: September 25, 2010, 11:37:42 PM »

Yeah Joxam and I established that TNT is the root cause of problems and not duping (not that we should be duping anyways). I mean, its easy to confuse when Envy and I were duping TNT. I mean, what would you suspect? The exploit or the legitimate feature?

Fortunately I'm the only one left with TNT and I think I'm going to bury it in the middle of the ocean somewhere, just incase we want to do something awesome later.

edit: also have we looked into a custom sever? Those seem to have a ton of fun things to do

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 26, 2010, 06:24:47 AM »

I have a few ideas on maybe improving server performance. If it works, we might be on the lookout for some cool mods. Which means someone else needs to find them, because I'll be damned if I am going to look for them in the Minecraft forums.

Edit: I am still asleep, but this sounds pretty awesome: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1012&t=29244
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 72