Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

IF YOU HAD TO MAKE A CHOICE, which would you want?

Keep the current map, peaceful mode
- 6 (17.6%)
Keep the current map, survival mode
- 5 (14.7%)
Generate a new map, peaceful mode
- 2 (5.9%)
Generate a new map, survival mode
- 21 (61.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 72

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 101026 times)

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #680 on: November 17, 2010, 05:24:08 AM »

My tracks were laid with both a transportation/tour sort of mentality in mind.  I wanted it to be the Disneyland monorail of the Skullfortress.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: November 17, 2010, 08:09:36 AM »

I want sweet jumps in my minecart tracks.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: November 17, 2010, 08:14:11 AM »

That would be hella sweet, once we get the kinks worked out.  I don't know if it works this way for anyone else, but when riding the train from GCS to Stactus, I keep losing momentum just short of the buttons.

upthorn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: November 17, 2010, 08:31:15 AM »

Smiler: The tracks from Detonation Station to Grand Central, and from Grand Central to Harbor might be to your liking. The jumps aren't gratuitous though.

Unrelatedly,

ZedPower: I found the diamond armor set but did not take it, because my inventory was full, because we can't see other people's armor in SMP yet, and because I wasn't sure if it was right to raid your secret stash before the structure is even complete.
signature

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #684 on: November 17, 2010, 08:36:32 AM »

The minecart travel system is neat.  Though there appears to be some rogue carts plugging up some of the track.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: November 17, 2010, 09:20:49 AM »

ZedPower: I found the diamond armor set but did not take it, because my inventory was full, because we can't see other people's armor in SMP yet, and because I wasn't sure if it was right to raid your secret stash before the structure is even complete.

Haha, that was quick. It's probably not so well hidden but props to you for exploring my little work in progress anyway. You are a classy dude.

That said I'll probably find a better hiding spot next time. ::D:

The minecart travel system is neat.

Indeed. It even made me find out neat underground stuff I didn't know existed. It's a shame the maps only show the overworld.

upthorn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: November 17, 2010, 11:20:51 AM »

Experimental evidence indicates that, no matter how awesome it may seem, building a closed loop of minecart tracks over continuous gold boosters is a bad idea.
After about 30 seconds, I was flung from the track, caught fire, suffocating in open air, and the world was twitching as though I had entered the hellish void.
using /spawn and disconnecting, I seem not to have left any ghosts, but upon reconnection it took a fair bit longer than normal for the world to load.

Please do not repeat this experiment, it seems dangerous to the server.
signature

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #687 on: November 17, 2010, 12:46:35 PM »

Do not exceed 88 miles per hour, please.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #688 on: November 17, 2010, 01:01:03 PM »

I just did a quick run through and cleared a jam or too and checked minecart inventories. Heres some general rules to keeping the system running if I'm not around

* Clear jams. Jams create mroe jams. The sooner you track down a rogue cart, the better. Even destroying the cart is fine. I carry a lighter for cart disposal, though you have to break the track near it to start the fire.

* Be aware of how the cart inventory system works. Each 2 way route has a chest at each side. These chests should optimally contain a single line/line and a half of carts. If less, please make more carts (or just dupe em in the chest, like I do) and if its more than a line and a half, take some out. The nature of how we can teleport means theres going to be some bias in what chests get what and the distribution is not necessarily going to be even. If a station doesn't have cart waiting, its probably out of carts. I might add a double chest to all of the service rooms for storing excess/spare carts. You shouldn't have to do this very often, but its good to keep an eye on it.

* You can still somtimes get nailed by dead zones (the kind that make ghosts) if you're impatiant. It happened to me today. I logged in and spawned  all the way on the floating islands then went all the way to Detonation Station, where I hit an unloaded area just before the exit.  If you just logged in, wait a bit for things to load between each station. If I waited a bit longer, the station would have been fully loaded. Also remember, DO NOT EXIT THE GAME UNTIL YOU HAVE TELEPORTED SOMEWHERE. This shouldn't happen much with how the tracks are designed, but if it does /warp or /spawn and then I advise to take the time to walk to where you got ghosted. The chunk will refuse to load, so don't walk into it. Once you get that, log out and log back in. You should be falling in the void. Then when you /spawn there shouldn't be a ghost.

Actually as a general rule, NEVER EXIT THE GAME IN A CART (if you get disconnected because you accidently road a cart into a treasure chest, don't worry, that never makes ghosts). If you get stuck ever, teleport somewhere safe and then turn off the game.

Anyways I'd be interested in hearing what destinations people would like to see trains too.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #689 on: November 17, 2010, 07:40:05 PM »

Experimental evidence indicates that, no matter how awesome it may seem, building a closed loop of minecart tracks over continuous gold boosters is a bad idea.
After about 30 seconds, I was flung from the track, caught fire, suffocating in open air, and the world was twitching as though I had entered the hellish void.
using /spawn and disconnecting, I seem not to have left any ghosts, but upon reconnection it took a fair bit longer than normal for the world to load.

Please do not repeat this experiment, it seems dangerous to the server.

Bob's Minecart Tutorial 3: Advanced Minecart Stations

Obviously the specific mechanics for minecarts, boosters, etc. are a little different with our mod, but Bob's statement around the 5 minute mark that you should never make a closed-loop, perpetual-motion minecart track that increases net speed between complete cart circuits is still applicable. It is, as you say, dangerous.

Incidentally, the server is down for me.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

upthorn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: November 17, 2010, 08:20:52 PM »

I am also noticing the downed server. Did anybody mess with stuff after me, or were there lasting consequences to exceeding the speed limit that I didn't notice?
signature

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: November 17, 2010, 08:40:17 PM »

Urgh. Building logic from NOR gates. I remember having fun with that section.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: November 17, 2010, 08:58:09 PM »

FUCKING SKELETONS

upthorn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: November 17, 2010, 10:55:37 PM »

Server's back up. Thanks Brentai.
I didn't see any progress lost that I'm aware of. (All the tracks between stations still work and all).
signature

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: November 17, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »

Apparently, going long distances by boat can also send you to the nth dimension. Though I guess that's not a problem for most people. I suppose riding pigs is also a minor risk, but... yeah.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #695 on: November 18, 2010, 04:59:30 AM »

hell dimension happens because the game stops loading map chunks while you're on a boat or cart, or just loads them based on your last standing position, I'm not sure. Once you leave the cart it "repositions" you and starts loading nearby chunks.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: November 18, 2010, 07:14:08 AM »

I don't know what happenend, but back when the server kept spitting the spawn into the far frontier I was boating all over the map to find our original stuff. I never ran into any of these problems, so maybe this is a new bug.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #697 on: November 18, 2010, 10:52:48 AM »

Yeah, Kayin and I had also done some exploration by boat the month or two before the Halloween update, and this is clearly a new issue.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

upthorn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: November 18, 2010, 03:53:19 PM »

It was brought in with the same update that makes boats visible and minecarts work properly in multiplayer.
signature

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: November 18, 2010, 04:36:22 PM »

It is my understanding that boats are visible but can't be steered now.

:/ Wouldn't it be better to have left them invisible so at least they would work correctly.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 72