Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

IF YOU HAD TO MAKE A CHOICE, which would you want?

Keep the current map, peaceful mode
- 6 (17.6%)
Keep the current map, survival mode
- 5 (14.7%)
Generate a new map, peaceful mode
- 2 (5.9%)
Generate a new map, survival mode
- 21 (61.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 72

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 101029 times)

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #820 on: December 24, 2010, 09:26:37 PM »

That's okay, man. Thanks for the attempt. Merry Christmas.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: December 24, 2010, 10:49:08 PM »

Question.

I don't have this. I'd heard there was some kind of penalty for signing up in the Beta, rather than the Alpha - what's the penalty?

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: December 24, 2010, 10:54:03 PM »

If you bought it in Alpha, you were promised all future upgrades for free. Beta is slightly more expensive and you get no such promise, though Notch has said that this decision was made to cover his ass because the promise made his lawyers nervous. So there's a possibility that he might not charge Beta buyers for DLC or whatever... but that door is open.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: December 25, 2010, 09:05:39 PM »

I'm not too fussed about the Minecraft server being down. It gives me a chance to play the games I got two steam sales ago.

Spaco

• LLC
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: December 25, 2010, 09:13:34 PM »

Also, you still get the finished game for free when it comes out if you buy it during Beta, but you likely wouldn't get any expansions and whatnot for free.

Definitely worth it, IMHO. Just got it the other day and I'm addicted to survival mode.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #825 on: December 26, 2010, 07:17:43 AM »

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T PEOPLE WARN ME ABOUT THIS THING.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: December 26, 2010, 07:20:52 AM »

the secret to pulling yourself away from minecraft is to start work on an ambitious project that you will never, ever finish

this does not work for insane people
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: December 26, 2010, 07:23:18 AM »

My whole life is ambitious projects I never finish.

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: December 26, 2010, 07:42:36 AM »

the secret to pulling yourself away from minecraft is to start work on an ambitious project that you will never, ever finish

this does not work for insane people

Someone I know at school is building a giant penis from bedrock to the top layer.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: December 26, 2010, 08:35:17 AM »

Sounds like what humans do with monuments, yep.

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: December 26, 2010, 09:34:54 AM »

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: December 26, 2010, 11:40:51 PM »

Man, why the hell is Iron so impossible to find?

I've been digging quite deep (though the wiki says it has an equal incidence anywhere below sea level, really), but rarely do I find veins of more than two or three blocks. With the number of uses iron has, it's definitely a big limiting factor.

Too bad I can't turn Redstone Dust into iron, I have a metric fuckton of that.

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: December 26, 2010, 11:50:42 PM »

i tend to achieve multiple stacks of iron fairly easily. Is it possible you're missing it? I've put torches in parts of cave systems I hadn't adequately illuminated before only to find minerals and stuff hiding in the semi darkness. And in the basic texture set iron is pretty low visibility

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: December 27, 2010, 02:00:25 AM »

it's just super rare. and yeah, it's annoying, since you need a fuckton to make any kind of rapid transit system (that doesn't involve tunneling through hell)

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: December 27, 2010, 06:07:43 AM »

Man, why the hell is Iron so impossible to find?

I've been digging quite deep (though the wiki says it has an equal incidence anywhere below sea level, really), but rarely do I find veins of more than two or three blocks. With the number of uses iron has, it's definitely a big limiting factor.

Too bad I can't turn Redstone Dust into iron, I have a metric fuckton of that.

are you literally digging down, or are you exploring natural caves?  you might have more luck with the latter.

you definitely have to conserve your iron picks though because you need them to harvest diamond.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #835 on: December 27, 2010, 06:12:29 AM »

look around for cliffs. Sometimes they have metal jutting out all kind of impudent

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: December 27, 2010, 08:23:56 AM »

Well, after setting up my comfy hobbit hole, I dug straight down in a 10 x 10 area to make a huge mineshaft and lovely stairwell... to hell! After that, I just started digging outward in various places about 10-20 blocks above the bottom and try to follow caves whenever I run into them. I use a helluva lot of torches, as I like to keep the randomly-spawning mobs to a minimum while I'm working. Coal isn't super-plentiful, but I have good supply of stacks, and the only other thing to use it for besides lighting is MINECART POWER, so I'm fairly generous with torches.

Gold is rare, but that doesn't bug me much, because I found enough for a couple of clocks (which is basically the only thing to do with the stuff other than pimp things - just like the real world!). Obviously having a boatload of diamond would be cool, but I have a little to play with (12 so far, made the obligatory jukebox and a sword, sitting on the rest for now), but it's really iron that you need a LOT of. I mean, it's something you can use almost as much as WOOD if you have it, and that's saying something. I'd swap the incidence of redstone with the incidence of iron in a heartbeat, if I could.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #837 on: December 27, 2010, 08:44:26 AM »

The secret to minecraft is you aren't going to find more shit in a nerdhole (I dug straight down, yuk yuk) than you are exploring caves, the nerd holes will just cost you a lot of resources and ultimately leave you with pretty much nothing. Basically you have to explore the shit out of caves, find veins of ores and then mine them. Leave torches to find your way back, of course.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: December 27, 2010, 09:12:52 AM »

I only spent stone and wood to dig down (I never use iron picks unless I'm mining stuff that can only be obtained with iron picks, such as diamond etc. - I haven't found that iron picks are much better than stone ones for durability on regular stone), so no real non-renewable resources were wasted on the nerdhole. Other than time, that is.

I dug straight down because I wanted to have access to the rare stuff that only occurs in the lowest 18 blocks, but now that I have an assload of redstone and gold isn't too important, the only reason to stay so low is diamond. So I'm probably going to do more spelunking.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: December 27, 2010, 09:23:15 AM »

In other news, Starr has found an interesting way to play. She had a very nice setup with loads of stuff and then her save file was corrupted, so she had to restart.

Out of necessity (was lost for several days), she discovered that hanging out at sea is perfectly safe - you can just come ashore whenever you want to grab interesting things PLUNDARRRR! A new way to play was discovered: Vikingcraft! No home, no worries.

On her travels she found something really cool: A giant randomly-occurring forest fire, engulfing most of a large island. She took some screenshots, so I'll see if I can post them later.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 72