Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23

Author Topic: Let's Play Final Fantasy XI  (Read 33376 times)

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Final Fantasy XI
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2008, 05:37:18 PM »

hi my name is mudflation and let me tell you a little story about how we keep grinding for more gear desirable

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2008, 05:44:59 PM »

Sudden urge to play Progress Quest.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2008, 05:58:52 PM »

Naxx stuff was completely killed when BC dropped and 20 minutes of effort got you a suite of things that outclassed it in every way.

The "Naxx-Level" items (if Naxx was still TEH TOP) are nowhere near as stupid hard to get now.

Well, except A'tiesh.

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2008, 06:34:50 PM »

As a Level 70 Deep Fire Mage, I walked into Naxx and unloaded everything on the first trash mob I saw, doing well in excess of 10k damage, and it's lifebar did not BUDGE.
This was a TRASH MOB, and there are at least a few hundred of those fuckers in there.

... Do you even know what raiding is.
Yes, I do. Like I said, I've been in Molten Core and Onyxia. 10,000 damage would take a noticeable amount off of ANY of the mobs in there, barring the bosses. The fact that it didn't even budge what was the lowest of the low in that instance screamed "Gigantic Waste of Time" to me.

Early trash in Naxx has about 70-80k health each.  they are designed to be killed by 40 people at 60.

12ish% off a mob from one person that's designed to be killed by 40 is a lot.

(Hello Kitty Island Adventure)

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2008, 06:49:33 PM »

Most wings of Naxx trash were not that serious for a full guild ready to go in there.  Certainly not along the lines of C'thun trash in AQ40.  At least, full Spider wing, everything you need for the trash quest, and a good chunk of Death Knight wing.

I'd certainly rather do Naxx than Molten Core and its lava packs and excessive, excessive length of aughaiughagiuh.  Or BWL and its lab packs.  Fucking goblins.

For most classes, true Naxx-level items weren't outclassed until somewhere in the 66-68 range in BC for DPS classes.  AQ40 items for other classes lasted pretty long also.  

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2008, 07:34:23 PM »

Naxx stuff was completely killed when BC dropped and 20 minutes of effort got you a suite of things that outclassed it in every way.

The "Naxx-Level" items (if Naxx was still TEH TOP) are nowhere near as stupid hard to get now.

Well, except A'tiesh.

Lyrai; A very large portion of Nihilum was using tier 3 when they dropped Vashj. You are really, really underestimating the value of Naxxramas drops, particularly the set bonuses. IIRC, Warrior 5/8 basically completely elminated the need for hit in your gear set, and considering most of the early raid content is low damage, short enrage timer stuff, the extra threat more than makes up for the loss of EHP and avoidance.

Ironically, A'tiesh did not have incredible longevity when compared with the armor sets.

BTW, as for swapping weapons; Onyxia drops outclassed shit in outland until 64; Anything from late tier 2 or beyond could potentially last you until 70 if you weren't chainrunning instances for experience. Maybe if you'd done some raiding beyond the easiest shit to tackle in the entire game, you'd have some better opinions on how blizzard handled the item curving. Not that invalidating all the time we wasted on raiding wasn't a dick move, but honestly.

Most wings of Naxx trash were not that serious for a full guild ready to go in there.  Certainly not along the lines of C'thun trash in AQ40.  At least, full Spider wing, everything you need for the trash quest, and a good chunk of Death Knight wing.

I'd certainly rather do Naxx than Molten Core and its lava packs and excessive, excessive length of aughaiughagiuh.  Or BWL and its lab packs.  Fucking goblins.

For most classes, true Naxx-level items weren't outclassed until somewhere in the 66-68 range in BC for DPS classes.  AQ40 items for other classes lasted pretty long also. 

My guild went to MC back when we were learning Vashj ; A 20 person raid, all t5 equipped or better, and we still took something like 3 hours to clear the place. The trash is TERRIBLE. Not only does it take an eternity to kill, but it's completely bland and vanilla; nothing does anything actually interesting, with the possible exception of the core hounds, and any interest in the core hounds is quickly offset by the fact that you have to kill them over and over again until you kill the beast. And with the design of the place being so particular, and the HUGE gaps in ilvl from the front of the instance to the back, clearing it at the later levels of progression was... unreasonable. I'd love to know how guilds managed to clear that place in under 2 hours. Considering that 20 people at 70 is more or less the equivelant of 60-80 tier 2 geared people... I probably spent the better part of a month of playtime in that place, and we still never cleared it in under 5 hours at 60.

t paco; I would love to play FFXI again one of these days. I honestly found my experience there to be overwhelmingly pleasant - when I was actually fucking playing the game. My only complaint with FFXI was time spent LFG. It's good to hear an educated opinion, rather than one generated entirely from watching videos of the shit that S-E threw out for the insane/fanatical japanese who were complaining about there not being enough hardcore/unkillable shit in the game.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2008, 07:54:07 PM »

I'd love to know how guilds managed to clear that place in under 2 hours. Considering that 20 people at 70 is more or less the equivelant of 60-80 tier 2 geared people... I probably spent the better part of a month of playtime in that place, and we still never cleared it in under 5 hours at 60

Fewer healers and never stopping to drink, mostly.  Kind of like the old LB runs, except for the DPS classes being able to DPS and the healers who weren't healing being replaced by DPS classes who could DPS.

The combination of Oxi, Bal, Fort and I did, way, waaaaay more percentage healing through MC than ever should have happened.

Pacobird

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2008, 08:22:09 PM »

t paco; I would love to play FFXI again one of these days. I honestly found my experience there to be overwhelmingly pleasant - when I was actually fucking playing the game. My only complaint with FFXI was time spent LFG. It's good to hear an educated opinion, rather than one generated entirely from watching videos of the shit that S-E threw out for the insane/fanatical japanese who were complaining about there not being enough hardcore/unkillable shit in the game.

It could happen if the children clap their hands long enough (signifyong you believe in fairies like me).  I'm on Hades.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2008, 08:27:21 PM »

I'd love to know how guilds managed to clear that place in under 2 hours. Considering that 20 people at 70 is more or less the equivelant of 60-80 tier 2 geared people... I probably spent the better part of a month of playtime in that place, and we still never cleared it in under 5 hours at 60

Fewer healers and never stopping to drink, mostly.  Kind of like the old LB runs, except for the DPS classes being able to DPS and the healers who weren't healing being replaced by DPS classes who could DPS.

The combination of Oxi, Bal, Fort and I did, way, waaaaay more percentage healing through MC than ever should have happened.

The LB raiding situation is a perfect example of why it is truly a great thing that we left 40 man raids in the past.

Having to team up with KVN wasn't so bad on their good nights, but the CONSTANT influx of new people lead to some major bullshit. When there was 13 shaman on the DKP list and 11 of them were 'once a month' types from KVN, losing loot to ANY of them was infuriating. Especially when they were wearing skyshatter helm and full PVP gear. My final LB outburst might have been a little selfish, but in all honesty I was the only goddamn shaman in our raids who had the right to claim any of the loot in the first place. People coming to a raid in full greens or bad PVP gear with a mana pool of 4-5k buffed, and 40% overheal. And I got outrolled on Earthfury Shoulders like 11 times.

Irony: the first epic I got on my enhancement shaman on Ysera was Earthfury Shoulders. :lol:

It could happen if the children clap their hands long enough (signifyong you believe in fairies like me).  I'm on Hades.

They're doing a trial right now, so I'll download it and give it another shot. No promises I'm going to play in the long term, but this is certainly something to do for the next week while I'm waiting for word on whether or not I'm still going to have a job.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2008, 11:56:37 PM »

also a retarded amount of warlocks and a dedicated shadow priest (ME :)) who basically was along as their fluffer

and then i stole the guild's first Anathema and never went back :)

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2008, 12:23:17 AM »

Warhammer thread: Devolved into talking about WoW
FF11 Thread: Devolved into talking about WoW
WoW thread: ?????

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2008, 12:30:22 AM »

Devolved into talking about EverQuest / pre-expansion content.

Defenestration

• The Sixth Window
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2008, 07:37:37 AM »

But... Naxxaramas was the best WoW raid ever. Right? :>_>:
No.
No. No. No. No no no no no no.

As a Level 70 Deep Fire Mage, I walked into Naxx and unloaded everything on the first trash mob I saw, doing well in excess of 10k damage, and it's lifebar did not BUDGE.
This was a TRASH MOB, and there are at least a few hundred of those fuckers in there.
I mentioned this before, but at the time you were in just blues.

A fully T2/AQ geared raid would outDPS you by at least a couple hundred times. To drop Patchwerk before his 5 minute enrage for example, the raid needs to output around a consistent 12-13K damage a second over those five minutes.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2008, 11:05:04 AM »

yeah, something to keep in mind; most of the top guilds at the time had multiple people in the 4 digit dps range. There was a few people pushing 2k. Consider that these numbers aren't reached at 70 until late tier 5/early hyjal. Raids back then were based on stacking consumables/flasks and poorly balanced raid/party buffs. One person's DPS was largely irrelevant, it was what their DPS turned into when they were in a fully stacked raid that made a difference. In the time it took you to do 10,000 damage, a raid mage in a buffed group with full flasks/cosumables could have done 40,000.

Pacobird

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2008, 01:22:14 PM »

I think the fury warrior record on patchwerk was about 1500 dps.

EDIT: I read the R&D forums a lot back in the day, Shinra.  700 dps was considered a lot.  The 1500 DPS video single-handedly resulted in Rage Normalization.  There was no Prot Warrior on the planet that could consistently hold aggro off 1k dps at 60 even if such a thing were generally possible.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2008, 02:21:27 PM »

No.

A fully T2/AQ geared raid would outDPS you by at least a couple hundred times. To drop Patchwerk before his 5 minute enrage for example, the raid needs to output around a consistent 12-13K damage a second over those five minutes.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Area+52&n=Lyrai
It may be Blues, but it's Burning Crusade blues, at least. :sadpanda:

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2008, 02:39:13 PM »

I've gotten better loot by sleeping through Karazhan clears.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2008, 02:40:07 PM »

Never was able to do Karazhan before the 4th guild collapse that I was in happened. (Which is why I quit WoW. 4 Guild Dramas does that to a person)

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2008, 02:52:32 PM »

No.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Area+52&n=Lyrai
It may be Blues, but it's Burning Crusade blues, at least. :sadpanda:

You're still doing less DPS at 70 with your blues then an average raider at level 60 in Naxxramas.

Alex

• the Slug
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2008, 04:31:30 PM »

Never was able to do Karazhan before the 4th guild collapse that I was in happened. (Which is why I quit WoW. 4 Guild Dramas does that to a person)

Not that there was any risk of us wasting our time raiding.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23