Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Legalize It!  (Read 23927 times)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Legalize It!
« Reply #180 on: August 29, 2013, 11:37:57 AM »

Holder states the DOJ will not sue or otherwise actively resist legalization laws in CO and WA.

There's a significant asterisk in that they're reserving the right to sue later should they feel like doing so, but I'd like to tentatively hope they'll avoid hitting the hornet's nest considering how little real gain in it there would be.

Based on the article, I'd LIKE to think the DOJ will be satisfied with things as long as the States treat it similarly to liquor (perhaps with stronger regs than actual liquor, but in a similar spirit and practical construction). We'll see, I guess.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #181 on: August 29, 2013, 03:15:53 PM »

Popehat had a good post I meant to link weighing the pros and cons of the JD's new guidelines to get around minimum sentencing for minor drug offenses.

tl;dr it's mostly good news, because minimum sentences for minor drug offenses are terrible.  But the downside is that any instance of the DoJ granting itself more power to decide who it does and doesn't threaten with what DOES have the potential for abuse.

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 30, 2013, 03:49:56 AM »

This past weekend I had an argument about Detroit with a guy who is a total asshole but whom it is in my personal interests to keep trying to find ways to like.  I suggested the main problem with Detroit is that it is really, really, REALLY easy to move drugs there given the inability of the police to actually monitor the area effectively, and so no opportunities available to (many) people living in the city come anywhere close to the amount of money they can make by dealing.

He did not like it when I started talking about who was actually buying those drugs.

tl;dr it's mostly good news, because minimum sentences for minor drug offenses are terrible.  But the downside is that any instance of the DoJ granting itself more power to decide who it does and doesn't threaten with what DOES have the potential for abuse.

That's a fair point but the DoJ already had that authority, for better or worse.  Obviously it would be better for this to happen legislatively, but even if support for the War on Drugs is flagging I'm not sure I take that to mean voters oppose criminalization outright.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]