Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: Kaiju  (Read 1995 times)

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Kaiju
« on: May 15, 2010, 03:10:31 PM »

I'd gotten into the habit of putting on a lot of these 50's/60's/70's monster flicks as silent visual "background noise" back when I was doing freelance stuff, and over the past four months I've fallen in love with this sort of thing. Take the sheer retarded fun of something like Destroy All Monsters or Zone Fighter and weigh it against the joyless military slog of any of the 90's or millennial stuff and only the former are remotely memorable. Hell, Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster is just the perfect balance of Dudes In Suits Beating The Tar Out Of One Another and random 60's experimentation:

I guess I'm just kind of fascinated by how there's nothing really like these flicks. Who the fuck thinks of making a movie about a thirty-story moth battling a three-headed armless space dragon? My friend's first Godzilla movie was Final Wars, and just the absolute batshit insanity of that flick to someone who has never seen any of the standard kaiju rouges gallery left him completely dumbfounded. How did movies like this make their own freaking genre? Ahhhhhhh

A good chunk of the 90's/early millennial stuff aside, what they're putting out now in Cloverfield and the last few Gamera flicks is actually possible to take semi-seriously. If they're not going to try and make this outright fun they've got to have the budget to make it look really good. Had the same view of Eva in many ways (although I might eat those words after how sucky the new series is so far).

Geharha's up next when I have the money.

Below is a sweet-ass Big G poster I'm thinking of getting printed onto one of those mini-posters:

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Kaiju
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 04:07:51 PM »

Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster

The only measure of whether or not a kaiju fan is worth talking to is whether or not they like this film.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 04:16:09 PM »

It's just pretty much the perfect monster movie from what I've seen. I never like the human characters in these things but the cheeky swinger guy and his girl are A++

The attack scenes flat out rule, there's all these trippy cartoon segments explaining the plot, and when G-Dogg shows up it's an honest-to-god throwdown

It's probably one of the most entertaining movies I can think of, and I'm surprised as hell to find it in a genre that's neigh-legendary for the amount of screen-time they can kill.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 04:27:39 PM »

WHOA

Apparently that new 3D Godzilla reboot they're making for 2011 is done by the same director, featuring Hidorah again.

From the Wiki:

Director Yoshimitsu Banno will make Godzilla 3D: Godzilla vs. Deathla which is set to be released in 2011. This film features the monsters Godzilla and the new, chlorophyll-eating, Hedorah-like monster Deathla.

:omg:

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 05:16:16 PM »

I remember my first introduction to kaiju: I once stayed up until midnight mysteriously entranced by "Godzilla And Mothra."

I never really got into it, but I do own and love the original movie.

And I have this:

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 05:31:58 PM »

Man Godzilla vs. Barkley is older than TIME

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 05:43:43 PM »

Is Deathla not only a huge monster, but from Singapore?

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 12:42:17 PM »

I guess I'm just kind of fascinated by how there's nothing really like these flicks. Who the fuck thinks of making a movie about a thirty-story moth battling a three-headed armless space dragon? My friend's first Godzilla movie was Final Wars, and just the absolute batshit insanity of that flick to someone who has never seen any of the standard kaiju rouges gallery left him completely dumbfounded. How did movies like this make their own freaking genre? Ahhhhhhh

All postwar Japanese films can be traced back to the atomic bomb.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 08:28:33 AM »

Edit: Video got taken down... see below for another link.

Okay, holy shit. This was commissioned by Hideaki Anno for the Tokyo Museum of Contemporary Art's exhibition on live-action special effects. It was produced by Studio Ghibli, and directed by Shinji Higuchi (the guy who wrote and storyboarded End of Eva).

It's off the heezy.

No subtitles yet.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 12:34:13 PM »

Worth mentioning that Anno was an animator on Nausicaa, and responsible for most of the God Warrior design.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 01:22:24 PM »

Apparently it's also going to be on the Evangelion 3.33 DVD.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 01:49:11 PM »

yesssssssssssss

Ocksi

• Guy on a buffalo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 04:57:51 PM »

I will never forgive nor forget your love of Evangelion.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 05:31:13 PM »

Looks like the video got taken down. Here's a different link: http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/65976/giant-god-warrior-appears-tokyo-must-see

I will never forgive nor forget your love of Evangelion.

I could explain it but the resulting debate would destroy us