Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FROCTO MADE AN RPG  (Read 3164 times)

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
FROCTO MADE AN RPG
« on: October 23, 2012, 07:09:50 PM »

HOT DAMN

The Awesome System

Okay Frocto is getting a kickstarter going to fund the release of the tabletop RPG he's been working on for years. I'm pretty sure it's done, he's just getting money together to release it in book form:

pozible.com/theawesomesystem

(Turns out you need to be an American citizen for Kickstarter, so Pozible picked up the slack for the Australian WING OF HUMANITY)

That page gives all the info as a far as how the game works, and how much gets you what. TAKE A GANGER, frocto's laid it out a lot better than I could.

Also we're gonna need some help getting a signal boost here, if anyone wants to help out. I figure if one of us is relatively well-established on reddit, that got me a shitload of attention back when I made that Wasp lesson. I know we have a lot of Talking Time co-breedin' that's gone down since old times, so if you're on good terms, a thread there would be hells of appreciated!

He made a pretty sweet-ass website for the thing too: http://sharkpunchstudios.com/

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
Re: FROCTO MADE AN RPG
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 08:23:31 PM »

Hello! I'm supporting this! Why aren't you?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 08:35:07 PM »

YOU KNOW WHY NEWBIE

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 09:01:34 PM »

You're a dick, god of fire?

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 02:37:08 AM »

"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Zaratustra

• what
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 07:43:02 AM »

seems all I do these days is contribute to kickstarters

sure ok

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 11:08:42 AM »

remember how i was complaining about 4E being complicated?

WELL THERE IS NOTHING COMPLICATED ABOUT BEING AWESOME

JUST ASK ME, A PROFESSIONAL AWESOMENESS CONSULTANT HOW EASY IT IS TO BE AWESOME

THAT'S RIGHT BILLY, THESE DAYS, OPENING YOUR WALLET IS ALL IT TAKES!  WOW!
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 11:38:49 AM »

THAT'S RIGHT BILLY, THESE DAYS, OPENING YOUR WALLET IS ALL IT TAKES!  WOW!

Isn't wallet old slang for a dude's ass?

Go, go mighty Frocto.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 08:35:24 AM »

Shut up and take my money, creepy voice and Kazz!

Fortinbras

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 04:40:59 PM »

I been called outta retirement for one last job.  And that job is looking at this crazy game.  It looks like the answer to the question "what if Regular Show were real and you were playing a tabletop game inside of it?" and that is, well, awesome.

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 04:42:47 PM »

I actually don't like regular show very much, but I am absolutely sure this is way better than that comparison would lead one to believe.

RoboticDinosaur

• [Custom Title]
  • TOTAL DORK
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 10:09:15 AM »

Showing my support for this awesome RPG! (no pun intended)
Donated $5, but next month I plan on donating another $15.  :glee:

Defenestration

• The Sixth Window
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 11:22:53 AM »

Guitar solo duels seamlessly integrated? damn.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 11:31:40 AM »

Oh, yeah, absolutely. One of the final battles in Mayors of Fight Town, that I plan to recreate when I get around to working on that book, was a guitar duel between an alien god and one of the PCs, while the rest of the party were firing nuclear missiles at the god guy to try to distract him from playing his guitar.

The musical combat rules are honestly one of my favourite parts of the system, but it's hard to convince people to blow character points on stuff that isn't related to firing rocket launchers. Not everyone wants to play a muso.
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 11:36:23 AM »

Challenge level: Bardcore

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 11:44:46 AM »

Tougher enemies, better lute.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 01:13:55 AM »

Forgot to actually pay.
Have fun with my $40, Fructose.

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 01:23:38 AM »

Thanks, cool guy!

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 09:45:59 PM »

So, is this system basically Exalted using Shadowrun's dice mechanics?

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 01:43:03 AM »

Oh, hi there! I didn't see you there! Why don't you come in and learn a little bit about The Awesome System, Billy.

I don't know about the Exalted comparison, I only read a little of that book, but it was just regular WoD stuff, wasn't it? I mean, I never understood the whole "This is your rpg group playing Exalted" meme, since it seemed to be a fairly standard fantasy rpg, just with White Wolf dice-rolling.

My rpg does use exploding dice, which are pretty common in gaming now I think. By the time I'd gotten around to playing Shadowrun, I'd see it in plenty of other rpgs already, so I wanted to take this typical rpg thing and expand on it, which is where stunts and the speed dice system come into it. So, I'll try to explain what makes The Awesome System different from other rpgs here. A few of these images below are taken from a very sexy and handy comic I'm getting put together to explain the whole process, which I'll post here when it's done!

So, for a typical dice roll, you'd be looking at something like the numbers below.

This gives you a roll of 10, which is pretty normal so far, right?

Anyway, if you spend 2 Awesome Points to make the ability a Stunt, you get the following:

Basically, stunts are the glue that hold the whole system together and open up all the cool stuff you can do. I wanted to take it a step further by making Stunts able to be picked up for free under the right circumstances, which is the direction I took the combat system in. In combat, you roll your Speed Dice, which is based on how much Speed you purchased for your character and can be anything from 2 to a million, and place them on the Action Grid to see what kind of actions you're taking. Here's a pretty cool mock-up of how it's going to appear on the character sheet.

The chart there has "Stunt Levels", because the higher your Stunt Level, the better the Stunt is. Basically if you spend your Awesome Points on extra dice, you get a number of bonus dice multiplied by the Stunt Level. So you know, like you spend 3 AP on a Quadruple Stunt, you get 12 bonus dice, for example.

So if you rolled your Speed Dice, you could be looking at something like:

... which, as you can see, would give you two stunts to play around with for free. High dice rolls directly translate into more damage dealt on a 1-for-1 basis, so a large part of combat is planning your combat actions around responding to the kind of roll you got on your Speed Dice. Some weapons have high "Handling" scores, which allow you to move the positions of your actions around, so if you're not happy with your roll you can spread the actions out or bunch them together by spending more Awesome Points, while other weapons can't Stunt, so there's that sort of back-and-forth play and you're doing something different every round. If you have a Stunt at the start and then some regular actions after that, you might want to use your fists or a high-accuracy pistol at the start, then switch to a weapon that can't Stunt quite so well, but has great base damage, like a rocket launcher or a Sledgehammer, for the rest of your actions.

It's really my personal response to the situation in a lot of rpgs right now where every combat round is exactly the same, and you're plugging away at the same kind of attack every time your turn comes up, and it kinda makes you think on your feet. Everyone I've played with has always found it really exciting and used the system to kinda grandstand and blow these crazy actions out of proportion, or do silly stuff like push all their actions into one turn with Handling for a super-mega-ultra stunt that blows all their points.

Hope that explains things!
Pages: [1] 2