Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 56

Author Topic: Final Fucking Fantasy  (Read 95342 times)

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fucking Fantasy
« Reply #180 on: September 15, 2008, 02:21:56 PM »

Man, you guys are making it sound like I'm going to need to have the codebreaker by me the entire time I'm playing FF12.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #181 on: September 15, 2008, 02:23:26 PM »

Only if you want to get the stupid optional shit.

You DO know how Final Fantasy games work, right?

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 15, 2008, 02:52:32 PM »

Having beaten 1 (NES, PSX, GBA), 2, (PSX, GBA), 3 (DS), 4 (SNES Hardtype, PSX, GBA, working on DS), 5 (SNES, PSX, GBA) 6 (SNES, PSX, GBA) 7 (PC), 8 (PC), 9, 10, Mystic Quest, Adventure (Grey Brick)....

Yes. I know how FF games work.

BEAT ME MORE SQUARE-SOFT, BEAT ME MORE.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 15, 2008, 04:16:34 PM »

To be fair, I was only going for the normal optional shit, and I was pretty damn thankful that the TV Tuner setup made it so easy to click over to GameFAQs.  Normally I make it a point to play FFs through without a guide, so make of it what you will.

(Or just make of it what I did: after the second time I consulted the FAQ and said to myself "the fuck I would have figured that out without looking it up", I just started looking shit up in the first place.)

McFrugal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 15, 2008, 09:48:33 PM »

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that FF12 was designed with the expectation that people would share information.  Like, it's not *supposed* to be reasonable to complete on your own.  Heh.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 15, 2008, 10:19:13 PM »

To be fair, the original LoZ (best game evar) was designed that way, and don't get me fucking started on FF9 (which I didn't play very far, but don't get me started on it anyway.)

But yeah, I hate it when Square tries to make buying the textbook a requirement for the class.  Fortunately, they only do it a couple of times in Lee-Ham's cycle, so we're good for a while.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 15, 2008, 10:20:51 PM »

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that FF12 was designed with the expectation that people would buy the official strategy guide.  Like, it's not *supposed* to be reasonable to complete on your own.  Heh.

Makes sense to me.  As Brent noted, designers have been doing this for decades.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Alex

• the Slug
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 15, 2008, 10:28:55 PM »

To be fair, I was only going for the normal optional shit, and I was pretty damn thankful that the TV Tuner setup made it so easy to click over to GameFAQs.  Normally I make it a point to play FFs through without a guide, so make of it what you will.

(Or just make of it what I did: after the second time I consulted the FAQ and said to myself "the fuck I would have figured that out without looking it up", I just started looking shit up in the first place.)

It was that Chocobo hunt, wasn't it?  Or the Zodiac Spear?

That fucking chocobo hunt though!  I spent a good half an hour on it before I busted open the guide to find out that the fucker is INVISIBLE!

:MENDOZAAAAA: :MENDOZAAAAA: :MENDOZAAAAA: :MENDOZAAAAA: :MENDOZAAAAA: :MENDOZAAAAA: :MENDOZAAAAA: :MENDOZAAAAA: :MENDOZAAAAA: :MENDOZAAAAA: :MENDOZAAAAA: :MENDOZAAAAA: :MENDOZAAAAA: :MENDOZAAAAA: :MENDOZAAAAA:

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 15, 2008, 10:43:33 PM »

Er, I think it was some much earlier hunt, but something like that.

I don't give two shits about the Zodiac Spear.  Playing through the game the first time with the ultimate secret weapon is just lame.  ...although considering how they flicked the switch to make all enemies apparently start doing 2x damage once you're expected to have Bubble, I kind of don't want to see how much HP they're going to start having once I'm playing it again.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #189 on: September 15, 2008, 11:47:39 PM »

I beat it without the Zodiac Spear, but that was after the point where I said "Fuck this, I'm done with the hunts."  Which was shortly after I spent an hour whittling Gilgamesh down.

There are a lot of things that piss me off in games.  Hour-long battles are among them.  Hard to say whether REALLY EASY hour-long battles (such as the Gilgamesh one) are worse than hard ones that keep you on your toes to the end -- I guess the hard ones are probably worse because then you might actually die and have to do them over.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 16, 2008, 12:30:19 AM »

I'm certain the worst kind of all is CHECK THIS OUT   TIME. TO. DIE.   BY THE POWER OF ALTHENA   HRRRRRRRRAAAAGH!!!  CHECK THIS OUT   TIME. TO. DIE.   BY THE POWER OF ALTHENA   HRRRRRRRRAAAAGH!!!  CHECK THIS OUT   TIME. TO. DIE.   BY THE POWER OF ALTHENA   HRRRRRRRRAAAAGH!!!  CHECK THIS OUT   TIME. TO. DIE.   BY THE POWER OF ALTHENA   HRRRRRRRRAAAAGH!!!

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 16, 2008, 12:49:02 AM »

IT SHALL BE ENGRAVED UPON YOUR SOUL

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #192 on: September 16, 2008, 12:53:26 AM »

I had trouble getting into Shining Force simply for the fact that every attack was an unnecessary cutscene.  It probably wouldn't bother me if I had played it BEFORE FFT and Arc the Lad.

...And tangentially, I'm thinking maybe I should dig up my saved copies of KateStory XIII-XVI and clean them up and post them on my site, XII-style.

...Also: it seems that next year is the 15th anniversary of the thing.  We should probably do a thing then.  ...It's 2 AM and my vocabulary is wiped; I should get to bed instead of re-skimming XII.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 16, 2008, 01:42:23 AM »

I'm certain the worst kind of all is CHECK THIS OUT   TIME. TO. DIE.   BY THE POWER OF ALTHENA   HRRRRRRRRAAAAGH!!!  CHECK THIS OUT   TIME. TO. DIE.   BY THE POWER OF ALTHENA   HRRRRRRRRAAAAGH!!!  CHECK THIS OUT   TIME. TO. DIE.   BY THE POWER OF ALTHENA   HRRRRRRRRAAAAGH!!!  CHECK THIS OUT   TIME. TO. DIE.   BY THE POWER OF ALTHENA   HRRRRRRRRAAAAGH!!!

You know the first time I beat him I didn't save and died because I failed to realize I had to use the plot device I had been carrying around the whole game to avoid Luna vaporizing me

Yeah I was sort of angry at myself but mostly at the game

Also if you could never quote Nash again ever that would be cool

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 16, 2008, 02:31:44 AM »

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that FF12 was designed with the expectation that people would buy the official strategy guide.  Like, it's not *supposed* to be reasonable to complete on your own.  Heh.

Makes sense to me.  As Brent noted, designers have been doing this for decades.

unrelated note, the guy at Gamestop tried to sell me a Spore strategy guide.
 :wat:

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 16, 2008, 02:56:10 AM »

...how does that even WORK.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 16, 2008, 03:05:52 AM »

I beat it without the Zodiac Spear, but that was after the point where I said "Fuck this, I'm done with the hunts."  Which was shortly after I spent an hour whittling Gilgamesh down.

Yeah, i had to keep turning my allies off so i could steal from him before killing him. So glad I'm following the power FAQ.

Although, it actually doesn't mention the Excalibur... though it suggests spending 10,000 hours grinding adamantite and gnoma entites for the Ultima Sword, which, along with Lindwyrm, the Tournesol, the Nosada, and a handful of other things i could mention, were put into the game for the express purpose of trying to break FF series completionists of their self-destructive habits (to absolutely no avail, of course).

McFrugal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 16, 2008, 06:26:04 AM »

I would like to note here that I picked up the official strategy guide for FF12 at a bookshop one time, and couldn't find any mention of the "do not pick up these chests" element to get the Zodiac Spear.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 16, 2008, 08:49:53 AM »

I know the Brady Games book I had called out the chests.

Alex

• the Slug
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 16, 2008, 10:32:36 AM »

You know the first time I beat him I didn't save and died because I failed to realize I had to use the plot device I had been carrying around the whole game to avoid Luna vaporizing me

Yeah I was sort of angry at myself but mostly at the game

I made this mistake the first time too.  But I was young and stupid and thought 'What's she going to do?  One shot me?'.

:derp:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 56