Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 56

Author Topic: Final Fucking Fantasy  (Read 95343 times)

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fucking Fantasy
« Reply #280 on: September 29, 2008, 12:20:38 PM »

:wat: But what kind of creature (for surely, you could not call them human) would WANT such a thing?

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 29, 2008, 12:21:36 PM »

Yeah, FF5 exists pretty much to be broken horribly.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 29, 2008, 12:25:58 PM »

If you want the best RPG ever, play 6.

Nah. FF6 actually kind of sucks these days, even though it still has fun quirks and witty bits of writing/encounters that most modern day RPGs can't compare to, like Ultros, that thing in the Empire where you talk to soldiers to convince them that peace is awesome, the story actually progressing beyond a static point in time, and so on.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 29, 2008, 12:32:49 PM »

You talking about how there's only one really viable combat strategy or some such a thing?

No. It's just not that good anymore. The first time I ever played it was on the Playstation (greatest hits version of anthologies, no less), and then again later on the gameboy advance. Fun, sure, and I can definitely see how it could've been the greatest game ever when it came out for the SNES.

But then, the same could be said for all the other Final Fantasy games.

I mean, when I first played FF7, it was the greatest game ever. And I had it during a time in which I didn't own a memory card, so I ended up replaying the first six or so hours ritually for like two months. I can still play it, still enjoy it, still love it. Doesn't make it the best game ever.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 29, 2008, 12:34:53 PM »

I ended up replaying the first six or so hours ritually for like two months.
:ohshi~: :omg: :endit: :scanners:

Air

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • SoraCross Dev.
« Reply #285 on: September 29, 2008, 12:40:45 PM »

Midgar blows and is annoying.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 29, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »

Quote from: Disposable Ninja
I played FF6 after FF7, and FF7 is my first and favorite.

My first was FF4, for the record.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #287 on: September 29, 2008, 12:46:30 PM »

I'm pretty careful about checking myself. It irks me when people wear their rosy nostalgia glasses and shove crap like Wild Arms and Kid Icarus in my face.

That said, I think FF6 was and is pretty fucking boss. Great characters, cool narrative. Art design, Jesus! That game used pixels to ooze style. And the world fucking explodes! I wish we saw more games that had such a solid core to them like FF6.

But I mean that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 29, 2008, 12:48:18 PM »

If DN just wants to admit that he is not experienced with critical analysis of story and/or game design, that's cool. It might keep him from becoming a worse person than say, Classic.

But if he doesn't, that won't change that FF6 is basically a rock solid product.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 29, 2008, 01:02:41 PM »

My first Final Fantasy was FF1.  I never got much further than the Earth Cave back in the day. 

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 29, 2008, 01:17:12 PM »

FF6 is actually fairly weak on gameplay, even I'll admit that one.  Fortunately it was well aware of this and most of the time you'll spend playing is focused on story and characters, and the times you have to actually play the game they wrap it in some set pieces that have never even been challenged for awesome (tearing up Narshe in a set of Magitek, fighting the Phantom Train, the defense of Tritoch, the mine cart escape sequence, I'M JUST GETTING STARTED HERE).

FF6 had the best characters.  FFX had the best gameplay.  FF7, of all goddam things, probably had the most compelling - if somewhat muddled - overarching narrative.  FF4 was probably the best for striking the right balance between story, characters, and actual gameplay, but it never specifically played to any of its strengths, so it stands out in far fewer minds than it probably deserves.

And FFXII... well, to be perfectly honest, it's too fucking long.  It's the first (valid) FF to creep over the standard 40-hour mark and it perfectly demonstrate why these games typically don't.  FFXII is fantastic in the beginning, where the plot is interesting and the system is fresh and well-balanced (and where you're only starting to get to know Vaan).  It loses its luster as time goes on, and between 30-40 hours is where its welcome wears out.  Had that been near the end, then it would be business as usual: you just grit through the last few dungeons, see the ending, and okay that's fine, write up your opinion.  But that's the halfway point on FFXII, and that means that, in practice, half the game sucks.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 29, 2008, 01:55:18 PM »

Quote from: Disposable Ninja
I played FF6 after FF7, and FF7 is my first and favorite.

I wouldn't say FF7 is my favorite. But, yeah, I do like it more than FF6.

I just couldn't get into it, to be honest. The gameplay just wasn't that great, and those amazing scenarios you guys keep going on about didn't really do it for me, either. I thought the Phantom Train, though itself pretty cool, was inappropriately placed (what with a genocide having taken place about five minutes prior). I thought it was kind of goofy that the two adorable sprites bouncing around on-screen was suppose to represent an epic duel to the death between an evil emperor and an insane sorcerer atop of ancient, floating continent of godly destruction. And I also thought it was sort of weird that nobody thought to discuss with Terra about carrying around her dead-ass rock of a father.

Chrono Trigger got past this by A) taking itself more lightly and B) using more articulate sprites. And Final Fantasy V, despite having a dumb-ass story with even more embarrassing sequences (Turtle / Exdeath Dragonball Z battle) at least had the decency to have completely awesome gameplay.

Nevertheless, clearly I am wrong because I dislike FF6.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #292 on: September 29, 2008, 01:59:22 PM »

Oh good. You came around.

Seriously though, this is understandable considering the order you came into things. In a time when FF6 was more or less the pinnacle of graphical storytelling, it let your imagination run wild and do a lot of the work. Hence this fucking orgy we just had.

Really though, when the inevitable DS remake hits our shores, you should give it another go. It might help you appreciate the meat and potatoes of the game a bit more.

Air

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • SoraCross Dev.
« Reply #293 on: September 29, 2008, 02:02:52 PM »

Oh good. You came around.

Seriously though, this is understandable considering the order you came into things. In a time when FF6 was more or less the pinnacle of graphical storytelling, it let your imagination run wild and do a lot of the work. Hence this fucking orgy we just had.

Really though, when the inevitable DS remake hits our shores, you should give it another go. It might help you appreciate the meat and potatoes of the game a bit more.
Except it'll suck because all the Woosely translation lines will be gone. It'll be like Diet Cheery FF6.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 29, 2008, 02:03:26 PM »

Well, also: Gilgamesh > Ultros

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 29, 2008, 02:05:40 PM »

Squeenix has been pretty self-referential lately.  I do not fear for the future of submariners and their offspring.

Okay, NOW you're just plain old, flat-out, unequivocally, 2+2=3 wrong.  Get out of here.

Air

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • SoraCross Dev.
« Reply #296 on: September 29, 2008, 02:06:21 PM »

:ohshi~: I can't agree, but I can't disagree.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 29, 2008, 02:07:16 PM »

Honestly, I would not mind seeing an FF4 DS-style remake of FF6.  What with the voice acting and whatnot, provided they preserve the GBA port bonus content.  However, if FF4 set the precedent of drastically changing the way the game works (via the Augment system), then I wonder what they'd do to the FF6 system.
Warning - while you were typing 3 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Wow.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

FUCKING CHRIST.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 29, 2008, 02:09:06 PM »

I've discovered that excepting DN's responses, everything I would have added to the conversation has been put in almost word-for-word since Doom's last post.
 :derp:

FF6 is way too entrenched in a rosy fortress of nostalgia for me to get a good look at it. Still, its got at its core a reasonably large and somewhat developed cast, scenarios I really enjoy, and the last step into making essentially interchangeable PCs. Whether or not the last one is actually good is up to you, I'm pretty divided on it myself.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 29, 2008, 03:05:45 PM »

:strawman:

FF6 sucks

This is wrong.

FF6 wasn't very good to me because of my unique experience and timing with it.

This is correct.

I'm sorry that I can't just let you walk around spewing verbal diarrhea, but not everybody has quite as large a "Reaction Shot" folder as I do.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 56