Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35

Author Topic: LGBT  (Read 57089 times)

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: LGBT
« Reply #560 on: June 13, 2012, 08:00:29 PM »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/06/13/ontario-gender-equality.html?cmp=rss

Finally, transgender people are protected under the law in Ontario!

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 26, 2012, 12:29:52 PM »

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: June 26, 2012, 12:31:32 PM »

Two lesbian teens shot, one killed, in Texas.

Jesus fucking Christ.

I would love to think that it was just a robbery gone wrong or something, but I have a sick feeling in my stomach this guy is going to be a shitkicker with an axe to grind and this might not be his last killing if he isn't caught quickly.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #563 on: July 02, 2012, 10:47:01 AM »

Anderson Cooper finally comes out and says it.

It's a nice, heartfelt piece and deserves to be read in full.  In short, I respect his earlier choice to keep it private and his reasons for doing so (nobody's business/he wants to be a reporter, not a celebrity), as well as his choice to change his mind now and his reasons for that (he's tired of people thinking he's ashamed of it, and realizes that he can be one more example of a public figure who's gay but just like anybody else).

Plus, anyone wants to suggest that guy's a wimp can try doing his job for a few weeks and see how it goes.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #565 on: July 22, 2012, 09:28:23 AM »

Menino is a ding-dong (he's the one who freaked the fuck out over the Aqua Teen Lite-Brite campaign).  Popehat had a pretty good takedown, which is basically along these lines: unless you have evidence that Chick-Fil-A is engaging in discriminatory hiring practices, you can't just tell them they can't operate in your city because you disagree with them politically.

I don't like Chick-Fil-A.  I don't give them my money.  I don't like what they do with the money people DO give them.  But if they want to donate to anti-gay causes, they have a right to do so -- hell, it's not even like they're the Mormon Church, donating to anti-gay causes while still claiming tax-exempt status.

Now, given a top-down anti-gay bias, it's not hard to believe the POSSIBILITY that they engage in anti-gay employment discrimination.  But I don't know of any evidence or even accusations of such.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 22, 2012, 09:50:23 AM »

I'd hate Chick-Fil-A more if their food wasn't the most horrible thing I've ever put in my mouth, and that's saying something.

The fundies who force themselves to choke on that shit because it aligns with their viewpoints are really just building their own engine of self-torture, and that delights me.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 22, 2012, 10:14:55 AM »

I... really like Chik-fil-a. Maybe you've just had shitty chik-fil-a, but their chicken sandwiches have always tasted awesome to me and the service has always been great. They're overpriced, though, and generally speaking if I'm going to spend five dollars on a sandwich I'd always rather go to subway.

My feeling on the restaurant is this - Chik-fil-a knows their policies are unpopular and don't care, because quite frankly, everyone in america who felt strongly against those policies could quit going to their stores tomorrow and not make a dent in their business. Their primary base is the bible belt and they will have no problem continuing without your business. It sucks, but oh well. You can't taste mysogyny and homophobia. Eventually, we will move past this part of our history, Chik-fil-a will grow up, but at the end of the day it'll always be a black mark on their business for supporting the wrong side of the issue - nobody will ever forget how Ford felt about jewish people, for example.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 22, 2012, 12:49:30 PM »

You can't taste mysogyny and homophobia
Maybe, but it does make me a little queasy.
I don't have to worry about it though, because horrible chicken place refused for a long time to put restaurants anywhere I lived.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #569 on: July 23, 2012, 07:30:11 AM »

Maggie Koerth-Baker at BoingBoing has started a list of Eagle Scouts returning their medals over the Boy Scouts' recent decision to uphold their anti-gay policies, starting with her husband, Christopher Baker.

If you aren't familiar with American Boy Scouting's Eagle Scout award, it might be a little hard to explain how important this story really is. Eagle Scout is a big deal. For one thing, it takes a lot of work to get the position. A scout has to earn 21 merit badges and then spearhead a community service project that they organize and manage themselves from start to finish. Add to that the fact that most kids don't stay in scouts through high school anyway, and you end up with the award representing a relatively small and elite group. Since 1911, about 2.1 million men have earned an Eagle Scout award. And it has serious implications once you graduate high school. There are scholarships. Eagle Scouts who enlist in the military after high school can start off with a higher rank than their peers. The adult Eagle Scouts I know have told me that they've gotten interview call-backs or even job opportunities because the award was on their resumes. Basically, it's more than just this medal you pick up at age 17. For many men, it's a lifelong position—and one that demonstrates a commitment to serving others and caring for the community.

So when Eagle Scouts start returning their medals to the Boy Scouts of America, that matters. Especially when these men are making this decision because they think it's the best way to demonstrate the values of being an Eagle Scout.

Miss Cat Ears

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: July 23, 2012, 02:22:02 PM »

It sucks, but oh well. You can't taste mysogyny and homophobia.
Stop supporting the anti-gay chicken sandwich culture!

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: July 23, 2012, 02:26:05 PM »

I don't want to lower the level of the conversation at all, but every single time I see this thread pop up I think LGBTGIF

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 24, 2012, 09:20:42 AM »

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #573 on: July 24, 2012, 10:43:20 AM »

Henson Company terminates ties with Chick-Fil-A.

As an added twist of the knife, the message said that Jim Henson Company CEO Lisa Henson, Jim Henson's own daughter, was a strong supporter of gay rights. She has directed her company to send any future payments received from Chick-fil-A directly to GLAAD (Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) as a donation.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 24, 2012, 10:54:16 AM »

I was about to post this.

I wonder if Mitt didn't realize she was gay?

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: July 25, 2012, 04:04:07 AM »

Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 25, 2012, 04:37:40 AM »

The Mrs Field quote was so good I thought it was real for a second

falselogic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 25, 2012, 12:53:33 PM »

A Chicago Alderman has told Chick-fil-a to look for other cities to build restaurants in

THAD EDIT: Fixed a link.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #578 on: July 25, 2012, 01:10:38 PM »

(EDIT to note that falselogic's post orginally referred to Menino.)

...yeah dude, that's what we've been talking about this entire page.

...dammit.  You're SoraCross, aren't you.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 25, 2012, 01:17:21 PM »

He's a talking timer.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35