Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Where can I get a hotdog that everyone else can get one too?  (Read 1374 times)

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I get a hotdog that everyone else can get one too?
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 01:57:13 PM »

Don't know what to tell you guys in Canadia other than 'Sonic is stretching north at a steady clip'.
That would explain why two summers ago everyone was going crazy over Long Island's one Sonic and this summer there seems to be one in every town.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 02:07:43 PM »

Don't know what to tell you guys in Canadia other than 'Sonic is stretching north at a steady clip'.
That would explain why two summers ago everyone was going crazy over Long Island's one Sonic and this summer there seems to be one in every town.

They can expand crazy fast because they don't have to have indoor seating and given their huge focus on drinks they are insanely profitable. So Sonics pop up anywhere they have enough room for a narrow building and some drive-in booths and move huge amounts of food on the sheer convenience of just being able to pull up, order and pull out without having to wait in line or fuck around with a drive thru window.

I'm not honestly a huge fan of Sonic's food besides their specialty hot dogs but god damn if I don't love their drinks.

If anybody gets a chance to go to Sonic anytime soon, they can put cream in anything for free. Instead of an Orange Creamslush try a fanta orange with vanilla and cream. Hoooooly shiiiiiiiit.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 02:47:50 PM »

Yeah, I think someone bought the franchise here in Canada after all the old ones shut down in the 90s, 80s? Anyway, they started opening new ones with a new look and 50s inspired uniforms and such but their main product is no longer the hot-dog. In fact, I didn't even know they still had hot-dogs there to be honest, I've never noticed them on the menu. Their main offering is "the burger family" consisting of hamburgers named after family members (papa, mama, teen, grandpa,etc) and they seem to push chicken tenders and stuff like that too. It's basically just Wendy's but with big rootbeer mugs.

Yeah it was weird... A&W expanded earlier in Canada and we have fewer chains overall (a lot of the 2nd and 3rd tier US franchises have no presence in Canada at all), so each chain here "matters more", which is why they were seen as more of an institution in Canada.

And yeah there's this weird thing where A&W Canada is actually an entirely separate company that's not owned in any way by YUM. So while the US version went belly-up, ours was actually in good shape and kept right on going. Though the two do cooperate obviously.
Pages: 1 [2]