Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: MMOtymology  (Read 6955 times)

Ocksi

• Guy on a buffalo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: MMOtymology
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 06:01:48 PM »

you want rares to be common?

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2008, 06:04:22 PM »

City of Heroes/Villains gives everyone a nice Hamidon-origin Enhancement* for participating in a Hamidon Raid (fighting a giant blob of goo with fuckraping lasers), and there's also the Rikti Ship Raid where you attack a huge crashed alien ship, and besides the metric fuckton of XP and money you get, you also get merits which you can use to buy special powers or expand your salvage bag.

*A Hamidon enhancement is a doodad which improves two aspects of a power, rather than other enhancements, which improve just a single aspect.  The improvement you get from Hamidon enhancements is slightly better than inventions, but that's a whole 'nother thing I really don't want to get in to.  Suffice to say, Hamidon enhancements rock...if you get the one you're looking for.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 06:05:40 PM »

That loot ratio developed because it was up to those few people to carry up to 30 other retards at one time.

Hey-o, LB-guild-alliance rogues. Too busy going for the top spot on DPS to kick the Spider Priestess in ZG? I wonder how you guys ever got past that fight when I wasn't there on Veihj.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2008, 06:19:11 PM »

Agreed.  Might just be that I play CoH and not WoW, but it really seems like "Go to a raid, and hope you win a prize" is a lot less fun than "Go to a raid, and hope the prize you get was a good one".  Even Centrioles* have some use and value.

* Enhancements that boost both Damage and Range.  Opportunity costs make this not as good as it sounds.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2008, 06:23:50 PM »

Yeah, it's just like gambling, except you need to endure 6 hours of jerks yelling at you every time you want to deal a new hand.

Alex

• the Slug
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2008, 06:51:31 PM »

No wonder I can't stand raiding.  I hate gambling unless I'm in the mood for Blackjack.

That or I like the 'bragging rights and maybe a shiny trinket' aspect that non-MMO RPGs go for with super crazy hard optional bosses too much to see it become mandatory for getting the full experience out of the game.  ::(: A pox on thee, Tigole.  A thousand of them.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2008, 06:54:50 PM »

I continue to be shocked that you don't see Diablo 2's item system more often.  Even WoW has only sort of a watered down version of it.

The ultimate in constant, instant gratification.  I forget who said that the fact that every enemy in the game literally spews out pools of items upon death pretty much sums up the experience.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2008, 07:08:37 PM »

Plus you get the satisfaction of stealing them all from whoever is slower at clicking than you.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2008, 03:45:33 AM »

It's like D&D's system, except creatures are never smart enough to use the powerful artifacts they're carrying. Why were they fighting me lumbered down with three thousand gold, but not wearing the armour that could have saved their life?

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2008, 06:55:57 AM »

You think Rakanishu was born with the ability to shit lightning?

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2008, 08:06:21 AM »

I continue to be shocked that you don't see Diablo 2's item system more often.  Even WoW has only sort of a watered down version of it.

It is a lot of fun to collect items with various pros and cons.  It was the only reason that I played Titan Quest for any amount of time.

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2008, 08:37:10 AM »

I rather like WoW's loot system. It gives you reasons to go back there to get everyone there loot while waiting on content. Everytime you go you have a chance at making one of your raid members better and that in turn boost the raid performance so you can get your piece easier. Everytime i go to black temple i see a piece for everyone drop and its all on a bid system so whoevers been working the most that wants that piece gets it.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2008, 08:48:37 AM »

"Giving you reasons" and "forcing you" are different.  The fact that raids are the only endgame content is not appealing.

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2008, 11:00:02 AM »

What about with warhmamer where the only end game is PvP? I said reasons because everyone gets a bit of something and the raids are fun and enjoyable. Alot of people like working as a team to overcome tough challenges.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2008, 11:03:40 AM »

What about with warhmamer where the only end game is PvP? I said reasons because everyone gets a bit of something and the raids are fun and enjoyable. Alot of people like working as a team to overcome tough challenges.

You know, I'm excited for Wrath since I can't literally play Warhammer yet, but I've managed to keep myself from saying the sort of stupid bullshit that would make it painfully obvious that I have not played Warhammer yet.

Why not follow my example?

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2008, 01:01:31 PM »

It is a lot of fun to collect items with various pros and cons.  It was the only reason that I played Titan Quest for any amount of time.

It's exactly the reason I didn't play Titan Quest for any amount of time.  It takes all of five minutes to pick up some Splurting Spear of the Armageddon, and then what the fuck do you have to look forward to?

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2008, 01:09:55 PM »

It's exactly the reason I didn't play Titan Quest for any amount of time.  It takes all of five minutes to pick up some Splurting Spear of the Armageddon, and then what the fuck do you have to look forward to?

I didn't know that until I got that spear.  btw it is a pretty good spear.  I only played because it came out on Steam and my friends were playing and then it turned out the game fucking sucked.  RANDOM AREA GENERATION ACTUALLY IS IMPORTANT, ESP IF YOU RUN THROUGH THE SAME AREA FIFTY TIMES WITH FIFTY DIFFERENT FRIENDS

to Sora:

PvP is fun.  PvE is boring.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2008, 01:14:31 PM »

Tell that to all the energy melee douchefags in the PVP zones in CoH/CoV.

EDIT: Or rather, the victims of said douchefags.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2008, 01:17:43 PM »

PvP that isn't designed by shitheads will always be more interesting than PvE no matter who designs it, until we have actual working AI that can even approximate stupid opponents.

Yes, i am saying that PvP in Co* is designed by shitheads. I am also saying the same of WoW. Look at how tanks work in PvP in Co* (FUCK YOU NIGGERS), WoW (they don't) and WAR (holy fucking grail imo).

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2008, 01:21:28 PM »

to Sora:

PvP is fun.  PvE is boring.

Did you just call Envy SoraCross?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5