Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The Walking Dead: The TV Show  (Read 8595 times)

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead: The TV Show
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 05:43:32 PM »

Caught episode 3; Am curious now how much this is going to diverge from the comic's story. Since Redneck crazy and Brother of Redneck crazy don't exist in the comic (according to this thread anyway) do they go back into Atlanta immediately for some other reason, or is this something out of whole cloth?

Starting to like the wife a bit more, looks like Shane told her her husband was dead because he hoped it was true and wanted her for himself. The friend I'm watching it with doesn't like Shane (we had a discussion, she considers him a "bad guy") but I don't overly mind him myself.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 05:58:19 PM »

In the comic (spoilers for first few issues, nothing that hasn't been in the show), [spoiler]Rick meets up with Glenn on his first trip to Atlanta and they make it out relatively unscathed.  After reuniting with his family at the camp, Rick and Glenn then return to Atlanta on a supply run, which is when they pull the "cover ourselves in entrails" gambit to get back out alive.  So they did go in, come out, and go back in again.[/spoiler]
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 07:07:25 PM »

"Everybody evacuated to Atlanta....and then died horribly because the population density is like 20 times what it is out in the sticks that's how diseases work"

Which is why everybody in a city got rabies and died.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 07:50:40 PM »

Well, being in cities can be really bad news even for diseases that rely on bodily fluids in contact. Though mostly what Paco's talking about are diseases where animals, air, or some other indirect contact is a sufficient vector. I'm pretty sure just about everyone in the city has or will get the flu I've got now. Of course, no one (except for, you know, doctors) gives a shit about flu symptoms.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 08:38:10 PM »

"Everybody evacuated to Atlanta....and then died horribly because the population density is like 20 times what it is out in the sticks that's how diseases work"

Which is why everybody in a city got rabies and died.

That reminds me... This article does an excellent job of summarizing most of the reasons I can never take zombie stuff seriously, no matter how much I adore apocalyptic dystopias.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 10:11:18 PM »

This of course does not address the "Rage Zombie" popularized by 28 days later.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2010, 10:16:17 PM »

Quite a few of them are also, "I will assume that zombies are affected by a bunch of physical phenomena they are not affected by in just about any incarnation of The Zombie."

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2010, 10:22:48 PM »

That doesn't mean they shouldn't be affected by those phenomena.

Basically, the only reason zombies would be unaffected by any of those physical phenomena is if you say something like "A WIZARD DID IT!", which is actually something okay that I could live with!

Only the trend has been to go I the opposite direction and try and give more scientific explanations for The Zombies, because That Would Be Scarier. Really any attempt to justify something as ridiculous as ZOMBIES with SCIENCE is only going to shine a light into places that really shouldn't be shone on.

Like the original stuff like the first Night of the Living Dead actually works better for me, because hey Hell just vomited on earth and man is God angry like you have no idea.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2010, 10:28:46 PM »

He's working from a dead-but-animate zombie archetype. If zombies are actually and really dead, animate without any of the other hallmarks of homeostasis I'm willing to concede that many of these problems would be an issue. I mean, if they weren't already moving by magic.

It gets a pass because I'm happier whenever someone can make corpse decomposition even slightly interesting and because reasons 1, 3, and 7 apply to the low-intellect zombie plague with obvious symptoms problem.

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 11:19:03 PM »

Racist asshole guy is L4D's Francis minus Francis' redeeming qualities

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2010, 10:09:22 AM »

Yeah, that article's first and last examples are pretty much exactly why Zombieland is the best zombie movie since Dawn of the Dead.  Even if you grant the dubious premise that zombification spreads like SARS, the zombies themselves are a totally trivial threat to anyone capable of surviving a few weeks.  Now whenever I see somebody bit by a zombie the first thing I think is, "this could have been avoided with Woody Harrelson and a banjo".

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2010, 10:12:40 AM »

that article reminds me of that guy who used math to prove vampires don't exist

thanks math guy, I was unsure if they were real or not

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2010, 10:24:17 AM »

For the record, I don't hate all zombie movies. One of the funniest flicks I've ever seen was Fido

Seriously, if you like zombies and you like funny movies (or hell, if you just like comedies), it's easily worth a rental.

Koah

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2010, 12:11:35 PM »

that article reminds me of that guy who used math to prove vampires don't exist

thanks math guy, I was unsure if they were real or not

Was he related to the guy stuck in a private island mansion back in '86 who had to disprove the existence of witches to a witch?

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2010, 08:49:42 PM »

It's not like it's a typical disease or something.  Bear in mind that you can't prevent the spread of most infections with BULLETS.

That said, even if Rick DID assume Atlanta had fallen (which he must certainly have done by the time he saw the desolation on the roads), he would have still gone there to look for his wife and son.  (Yeah, it's a hell of a coincidence that they happen to be among a couple of dozen survivors out of a population of 5.4 million plus refugees, and that he just happens to run into their group as soon as he enters the city.  But any interesting work of fiction is, at some point, going to rely on that sort of highly improbable scenario.)  It's central to his character that he'd never abandon them even if the odds were impossible.

Starting to like the wife a bit more, looks like Shane told her her husband was dead because he hoped it was true and wanted her for himself. The friend I'm watching it with doesn't like Shane (we had a discussion, she considers him a "bad guy") but I don't overly mind him myself.

See, I thought the ep finally made Shane a sympathetic character at the EXPENSE of making Lori even more unpleasant than she'd been up to that point.  Interesting to hear a different take.

Anyway.  The first zombie-lite episode (what were there, 6?).  I thought it worked very well.  The zombies are the backdrop but it's not a story ABOUT zombies; that's been clear from the comic almost since the beginning and the show handled it admirably.

Minor spoilers, both of this episode and recent issues of the comic, follow; I don't think they're severe enough for a spoilertag but figure they're enough for a little advance warning.

The wife-beater part of the plot was interesting; the comic just now used that thread, 70-some-odd issues in and it played out very similarly but had some notable tonal differences.  In the comic it was a "holy shit this guy has come totally unhinged" moment.  Here, well, it was kinda the same -- but I think you root for Shane a little more here, feel a little more like he did what had to be done.  It also feels different simply because it happens so early -- the character delivering the beatdown in the comic was somebody well-established and it was more shocking; here, Shane's not that well-established a character and it's not as much of a surprise coming from him.

Anyhow, another solid episode.  And I think Dale is my favorite character.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2010, 09:49:42 PM »

Bear in mind that you can't prevent the spread of most infections with BULLETS.
If you're a PUSSY.

Spaco

• LLC
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2010, 11:15:57 AM »

It really pisses me off that I have to download copies of episodes that I miss on TV, especially since this series is on during the holidays and weekends are full of travel and whatnot. Is it really asking so much to get AMC to throw more than the first episode on Hulu? Just seems like lost revenue, to me.

Has there ever been any horror series on TV like TWD before? I can't recall any and it seems almost revolutionary. The ability to take movie-quality situations and let them drag out for hours and hours seems like a concept that could get more usage.

I feel many of the characters are overly exaggerated, especially the rednecks and the cholos in ep4. Also, that opening scene between the two sisters in the boat was the worst part of the series with regard to acting and dialogue, as far as I'm concerned. The confrontation with the cholos seemed pretty ridiculous too, I felt.

I do, however, really like the concept that, even in such a zombie-plagued area, the real dangers the characters have to worry about are from their own living kind. The deterioration of societal structure is bringing out the worst in people, and it makes for good drama.

Unclear about one thing, though: Why don't cellphones work? Why do they have absolutely no forms of communication, outside of shitty walkie talkies and police radios?

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2010, 12:07:32 PM »

It's free on On-Demand, I know that much. And I download it every weekend, but I have a program that automatically downloads it so no hassle.

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2010, 01:51:21 PM »

AN OPEN LETTER TO PEOPLE WHO DO NOT HAVE DVR

How are things back there in 1999?  It was a pretty good year, if I remember, so I hope you're enjoying it!  I'm sure you've got a lot of questions for me since I live in the future and all, but I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise!

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2010, 01:55:01 PM »

I don't have a DVR, but a lot of hard drive space and torrents are just as good.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5