Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28

Author Topic: Calling All Internets  (Read 43964 times)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Calling All Internets
« Reply #520 on: September 11, 2013, 03:01:55 AM »

Starr's got a nice Kenmore one but it's both big and an older model so I don't think that'll help you much either. Plus the filter on that one gets clogged a lot, but that's because when we vacuum it's like vacuuming up an entire cat rather than some failing of the vacuum.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #521 on: September 11, 2013, 10:54:54 AM »

Yeah, I've been pretty happy with Dysons as well, but ultimately I went back to bag vacuums.  Bit more hassle, but between allergies and asthma I think it's the better call for my house.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 23, 2013, 04:13:11 AM »

Anyone happen to know a website where I could commission some minor pixel art? My older brother's been working on a flash game, and I can draw pretty much everything he needs, with the glaring exception of an excavator tractor.

Would be ideal if I could just pay some shlub to make up six or seven tiles of a small excavator facing different directions.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 30, 2013, 04:02:37 AM »

This is a google search for what might technically be mildly nsfw text.  It produces one link.  The link is to a page that is down, but Google clearly still has a copy, to generate the search result with added information.  I can't find any way to actually access that copy.  Anyone know how to get some resolution on this exciting narrative?
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: October 27, 2013, 03:27:36 PM »

So what are people using to watch region-locked YouTube content these days? Because this stuff is getting a lot more frequent and my usual proxy pages won't do YouTube video anymore. Googling for answers just produces a river of untrustworthy shit.

Proxtube was recommended in a couple places, but does it carry any additional baggage?

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #525 on: October 30, 2013, 11:55:52 AM »

So, as someone who just started trying to learn guitar with Rocksmith 2014, do any of you music people have any suggestions, other than give it time (there might not be any others) for how to make my fretting hand not feel like small monsters are eating my fingers?

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: October 30, 2013, 05:06:05 PM »

On the low e, rock your finger back and forth until you can no longer stand it. Do this several times during an hour each day. You'll be good within in the week.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: October 30, 2013, 07:29:31 PM »

Dunno about 2014 but the original seems to drill the fuck out of you on Well OK Honey at a certain level until you're no longer coming away from it with huge canyons in your fingertips.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #528 on: October 30, 2013, 08:14:40 PM »

I am currently doing the lessons. Endless scales and shit but its fun. I have to admit, after thinking it was a problem at first I don't mind the little bit of pain, it makes you feel like you're doing something. I spent two hours today playing so it can't have hurt that bad, you know. I think I'm setting myself up for failure by finger picking though. Not because I'm finger picking, but because EVEN I know I'm doing it wrong. Have to look into it a little more tomorrow after work.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 31, 2013, 12:30:56 AM »

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: November 01, 2013, 05:09:39 PM »

And then Lenny Kravitz makes all your entire fingers look like grilled hot dogs.

Healy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 05, 2013, 07:33:24 AM »

Outside of the ol' "Biff! Pow! Comics aren't just for kids anymore" headline, has biff ever been actually used as a sound effect? In, like, anything.
the assassination of video james by the coward electronic arts

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 05, 2013, 08:09:45 AM »

It must have been used in 60s Batman at some point.

EDIT: Yup: http://www.batmania.com.ar/paginas/serie_onomatopeyas.htm

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: December 02, 2013, 01:58:55 PM »

I'm going to get my parents one of those Netflix/Amazon Prime/Possibly Youtube streaming boxes for Christmas, as they're pretty much completely fed up with commercials and the paltry selecton on regular TV.

I saw Detonator had this thing called the Chromecast, which is great, but it needs you to use a computer from which you stream Netflix or Youtube or whatever. That's a possibility, but my parents use their laptops while the TV's on, so having something that requires the use of one computer isn't ideal.

I'm leaning strongly toward a streaming media player of some kind, but it's hard to tell what's good and what isn't. Amazon lists the Roku 3 fairly high, but that's far from a reliable sign of quality. The Sling Media Box seems like a possibility as well.

Anyone have any experience with streaming media players?

Caithness

• Hat Man
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: December 02, 2013, 02:19:17 PM »

As far as I know, the Slingbox just lets you stream your existing cable TV/over-the-air channels to the internet. Kind of the opposite of what you're looking for.

As far as actual suggestions, an Apple TV or any of the current/previous generation video game consoles should also work.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: December 02, 2013, 02:25:23 PM »

I'm going to get my parents one of those Netflix/Amazon Prime/Possibly Youtube streaming boxes for Christmas, as they're pretty much completely fed up with commercials and the paltry selecton on regular TV.

I saw Detonator had this thing called the Chromecast, which is great, but it needs you to use a computer from which you stream Netflix or Youtube or whatever. That's a possibility, but my parents use their laptops while the TV's on, so having something that requires the use of one computer isn't ideal.

I'm leaning strongly toward a streaming media player of some kind, but it's hard to tell what's good and what isn't. Amazon lists the Roku 3 fairly high, but that's far from a reliable sign of quality. The Sling Media Box seems like a possibility as well.

Anyone have any experience with streaming media players?

Is the TV itself good?  Because a friend of mine does all that through one of Samsung's Smart TVs, without needing additional boxes.

Failing that, yeah, a PS3 should be able to do all of that I think.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: December 02, 2013, 02:27:02 PM »

Yeah, Sling is out, now that I'm looking at it.

Game consoles are a maybe? Seems like a dedicated media player would be able to do the job better.

Apple TV's a maybe, but they're not nuts about Apple now that they've gotten so huge and shitty as a company. Plus I feel like there's probably some iTunes or iStore bullshit they'd have to work around.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: December 02, 2013, 02:28:11 PM »

Is the TV itself good?  Because a friend of mine does all that through one of Samsung's Smart TVs, without needing additional boxes.

Failing that, yeah, a PS3 should be able to do all of that I think.

The TV's good, but they're looking to get a new one since my nephew accidentally left this huge block of dead pixels across the bottom.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: December 02, 2013, 02:58:00 PM »

If they want physical disk options, a PS3's not really a bad option right now.  DVDs, Blu-Rays, and all the major video streaming services as well as media streaming from a computer without tying up said computer if they want it.  If they don't care about discs at all, I've heard pretty good things about the Roku but have no firsthand experience.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: December 02, 2013, 04:21:59 PM »

Careful with getting PS3s for non-technical people, I tried that with my parents and despite both of them being fairly computer literate and throwing in the remote they still managed to be terrified of the thing somehow.  Just the idea that it has a more complicated function than playing Blu-Rays and Netflix made them recoil.

I got them a regular-ass Blu-Ray player instead and they were totally happy with that!  Pretty much all of them do the standard Netflix/Hulu/YouTube schtick as well now.  Roku on the other hand is the most recognizable brand of dedicated streamer and as such has about a bazillion more apps than the standard buried in its ecosystem, which is good if they ever need something that Hulu hasn't got and are feeling adventurous.  Besides that though I wouldn't bother with other media devices (for them I mean; there are plenty of crazy things out there like the Chromecast or the Raspberry Pi for people who like to tinker).

The TV's good, but they're looking to get a new one since my nephew accidentally left this huge block of dead pixels across the bottom.

Practically any TV from a major brand has its own app ecosystem now too, so if they're actually going to buy a new one then a dedicated box might be redundant.  They're not always good apps though...
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28