Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Election 2008: Aftermath  (Read 15427 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: Election 2008: Aftermath
« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2008, 10:48:32 PM »

Chambliss wins reelection; not really a surprise.

That just leaves Franken.  Last I checked he was down by double digits (not double-digit percent, double-digit VOTES) and there were still something like 8% of the votes to recount, 1000 or so challenges to be resolved, and, while he lost his suit to have all the rejected absentee ballots reexamined, some are still likely to be.  So it's still way, way too close to call.

Spaco

• LLC
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 03, 2008, 08:23:55 AM »

Black turnout for the Georgia runoff was low, but the voter intimidation my girlfriend's sister experienced probably didn't help either. Apparently, there was a police roadblock stopping cars near her polling station checking licenses and car registrations.

I was never too hung up on getting a super-majority, as I think it'll be good for the democrats to not have free reign, but damn if I don't hate Chambliss and wish that he hadn't gotten reelected.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #122 on: December 03, 2008, 12:12:45 PM »

All the "veto-proof majority" talk is just hype anyway.  It assumes Democrats agree on everything, which is stupid.  It would have looked good, but it wouldn't really have worked as advertised.

PS: Free REIN.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 03, 2008, 12:17:08 PM »

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 03, 2008, 12:38:51 PM »

All the "veto-proof majority" talk is just hype anyway.  It assumes Democrats agree on everything, which is stupid.  It would have looked good, but it wouldn't really have worked as advertised.

PS: Free REIN.

Might've even backfired.  It definitely would've allowed the Republican Party to talk at length about being oppressed.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #125 on: December 03, 2008, 12:55:35 PM »

They're going to do that no matter WHAT, though.

They acted oppressed in '05, when they controlled all three branches of government.  They tried to fucking declare filibusters unconstitutional.  (My remark at the time was, DO IT, you dumb bastards; you're not going to be the majority forever, and filibusters are an INHERENTLY CONSERVATIVE tool.)

I think a good general rule of thumb is that "It definitely would've allowed the Republican Party to talk at length about..." is a deadend argument, because Republicans are going to use the same basic talking points regardless of whether or not they have any basis in reality.  See also: Republicans are fiscally conservative, the media has a liberal bias, Christianity is under attack, there is no scientific consensus on global warming, Sarah Palin is qualified to be President.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 03, 2008, 02:14:29 PM »

They're going to do that no matter WHAT, though.

They acted oppressed in '05, when they controlled all three branches of government.  They tried to fucking declare filibusters unconstitutional.  (My remark at the time was, DO IT, you dumb bastards; you're not going to be the majority forever, and filibusters are an INHERENTLY CONSERVATIVE tool.)

I think a good general rule of thumb is that "It definitely would've allowed the Republican Party to talk at length about..." is a deadend argument, because Republicans are going to use the same basic talking points regardless of whether or not they have any basis in reality.  See also: Republicans are fiscally conservative, the media has a liberal bias, Christianity is under attack, there is no scientific consensus on global warming, Sarah Palin is qualified to be President.

You forgot 'rainbows at ground level are proof of mind control agents in the water'.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2008, 11:31:18 AM »

The good news is that William Jefferson has lost reelection.  The bad news is that the article suggests it's more because of racism than the fact that he very much deserved it.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2008, 11:44:10 AM »

Not reading the article as suggesting as such. Rigamer slides in the point that whites came out to vote, but 26 percent is still a low turnout for the demographic, and they voted in a Vietnamese born lawyer. Democrats in the district made the same mistake as Republicans did in Alaska, which was to vote for a criminal in the primary.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 16, 2008, 02:53:26 PM »

Saw a recent Cheney quote pop up on the Situation Room a minute ago, basically saying that he doesn't think that the Obama administration won't give up the power and authority the Bush administration won from Congress.

My first thought? Dick Cheney is like Sauron; he can't honestly believe somebody would give up the One Ring.

My second thought? I was afraid that he was right.

My third thought? Frodobama.

That made me smile.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 16, 2008, 04:08:54 PM »

God, i hope he doesn't.

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 17, 2008, 04:47:41 AM »

:wat:  Are you being serious?

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 17, 2008, 09:40:46 AM »

... Well, i hadn't noticed the double negative in Frocto's post above, but yes, i absolutely hope that Obama does not relinquish the power that Bush granted himself.

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2009, 03:04:15 PM »

Minnesota governor totally cockblocks Al Franken.

Now, I may be out of the whole political thing, but doesn't having NO senator mean that a lot of people in Minnesota get totally boned out of having less representation in the Senate?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2009, 09:40:40 PM »

Minnesota governor totally cockblocks Al Franken.

Now, I may be out of the whole political thing, but doesn't having NO senator mean that a lot of people in Minnesota get totally boned out of having less representation in the Senate?

Quote from: TFA
Minnesota law prevents officials from issuing an election certificate until legal matters are resolved.

Coleman's mounted a legal challenge.  The governor is doing what he is required by law to do.

As I've been saying this whole time: shoe on the other foot, whose side would you be on?  If Coleman were up by an insignificant margin and Franken were mounting a legal challenge, a right granted to him by state law, I'd say don't seat Coleman until it's resolved.  I can't change my position just because the situation is the reverse of that.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 18, 2009, 12:44:30 AM »

I was eating breakfast this morning at the hotel's restaurant where I'm staying at, and BBC 2 Radio was talking about the school that Obama's daughters are going to.  I thought I'd be able to get away from that bullshit when I left the U.S. (albeit temporarily), but no such luck.

Incidentally, I'll be out of the country for Inauguration Day.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2009, 12:12:49 PM »

I was downloading Lee Dorsey tracks today.

I did not know there was actually a song titled "Yes We can".

:itsmagic:

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 21, 2009, 06:12:57 PM »

You know, I just wanted to mention one or two things that I'm not sure I mentioned elsewhere.

I don't think that we fully appreciate just what has happened yet. Even if the man fails horribly. Even if he's shot tomorrow (well, if he's shot, he'll be a martyr so, bad digression), he'll still have done something simply incredible for us.

It sounds stupid but I think the best way I can explain is to reference an old Wizard Magazine supplement from some time back in the 90's.

It was a sort of a hilarious villain catalogue, with various types and and trends, histories and indexes. In this book, there was a section devoted to white-collar criminals. One passage always stuck out in my mind: "After watergate, you never again saw an politic an or businessman depicted in comics. Cynicism gave way to endless crooked politicians and ruthless businessmen." There was was some other material, but really that was the main thing I always remembered. It was a hell of a lot weightier than pages making fun of Angar the Screamer or a Monkey riding a rocket-powered skateboard. I was young(er) and it made an of impression.

Barack Obama is the first man in (most of) our lifetimes to truly remind people that Public Service can be a noble calling. To recall those virtues of Marcus Aurelius, where pro bono publico is something more than a joke about lawyers. Not just in the US, but for the whole damn world. The idea calls out to a longing so gnawingly deep, a hunger so desperate, a thirst so dire, one that hurt so much the worse for our inability to acknowledge it. An entire generation grew up knowing little more hedonism and cynicism and man... you can play it cool all you want, but that's a pretty fucking bitter cup.

Regardless of what sordid reality may bring later on, the value of this one small thing should not be underestimated.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 21, 2009, 06:18:22 PM »

Yeah. It does look like people think Obama could be one of those models of ideal leadership you used to find only in legend, like Solomon or Arthur.

And the most surprising thing is that I have no reason to disagree with these people so far.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8