Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: WTB  (Read 22247 times)

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: WTB
« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2010, 07:23:14 AM »

I am looking for the new bright green paint (the bitter taste of defeat and lime). I don't have much to offer but some weapons and maybe a couple of metal. I'm not sure what's in my backpack anymore. Anyway yeah if anyone has it and doesn't want it let me know plz.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2010, 09:26:30 AM »

A PSA for those who weren't already aware, by the way: the series 9 crate can ONLY contain one of the new paint colors, the Grenadier's Softcap, or a rare chance for an unusual hat.  This basically makes them the most valuable crate in the game to date as there is no chance you're not getting your money's worth for a key, so plan your swaps accordingly.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2010, 10:20:16 AM »

It took about a month or so for mine to finally go through. I had to contact Steam Support, though, the bug report did nothing useful.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2010, 02:54:41 PM »

A PSA for those who weren't already aware, by the way: the series 9 crate can ONLY contain one of the new paint colors, the Grenadier's Softcap, or a rare chance for an unusual hat.  This basically makes them the most valuable crate in the game to date as there is no chance you're not getting your money's worth for a key, so plan your swaps accordingly.

Further on this: The new paints cannot be bought at the store. Crate or Drop only.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2010, 02:56:01 PM »

Also, all the people looking for new paints, come this thursday, there will most likely be a HUGE boom in people who have them. The update coming on Friday after a decent chunk of people idled their weekly allotment away on thursday means a lot of the new stuff is annoyingly rare.

tl;dr: Wait until Thursday, a lot of people will have them then.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »

Question.

Pretty much the only hat I'm looking for now is maybe a Vintage Soldier's Stash. Yes, I already have more hats for Soldier than any other class, but I am a solly whore, plus getting Bill's Hat made me care even less about hats for my bare-headed classes (spy, scout, sniper).

I have some refined metal, enough to make a regular random hat, but I also still have the Halloween Funny-Business Purple Metal, so if I blow four refined, I'll get a Halloween doohickey.

Are the Halloween hats worth much? Because I don't really like any of them. I'm wondering if it's worth it to me to blow the extra refined metal to craft one to trade for a Stash or if Vintage is worth more. Or if the Halloween hats are worth more than that?

If Vintage now makes things worth a LOT more, then I won't bother - I'll just try to do a non-vintage 1-for-1 Stash-for-some-other-hat trade (I have a spare Ushanka, will have at least one more hat of SOME kind after this, and the Stash is among the least-valued hats, so that shouldn't be hard).

Basically I'm wondering if Halloween Hat for vintage Stash is too much, too little, or close enough.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2010, 06:26:16 PM »

The worth of Vintage items lies entirely in the person who has them.  I think you should be able to get a Vintage Stash from someone with nothing more than your Ushanka if you're patient.  Your best bet is probably to use TF2items.com, ping the trade you want to make, and then friend request and PM your matches who look like they might be willing to play ball (the ones who are only looking for a few items or are perfect matches, and who have pretty recent activity).  You'll probably have to deal with some assholes, but this is how I eventually made trades like 1:1 Football Helmet for Pugilist's Protector.  Patience and little else.  Don't agree to deals where you feel like your arm is being twisted, because the price will assuredly be right for somebody else if you just give it a little time.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2010, 06:26:23 PM »

Depends almost entirely on if your Purple Metal is "Cannot be traded" (dirty) or "Can trade" (clean)

If it's dirty, it will make a dirty hat. Which is not worth that much.

If it's clean, it will make a clean hat, and you can pretty much make people sit up and beg for it.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2010, 06:49:27 PM »

Wait, I thought all Halloween hats were tradable? Regardless of whether or not the metal is.

Mine is "Dirty", but I meant that I was going to make a hat and trade the hat, rather than just trade the metal. The main argument against doing that is whether or not I want to waste an extra refined (which in the grand scheme of things isn't THAT much).

As for Niku's idea, I didn't think you could do that anymore, but I'm certainly not in any rush so that works in my favour. I don't care about Vintage all that much, but it's nice to have for my favourite classes, so long as it doesn't really cost much more.

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2010, 08:29:45 PM »

Nobody really seems to like the Soldier's Stash in my experience. I've received and traded away 2 or 3 (sorry, didn't know you wanted one).

Also I'm pretty sure a stash is only $2.49 in the store. It wouldn't be vintage, and it would mean paying for something you could eventually get for free, but I've found more money walking around a parking lot.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 14, 2010, 08:44:04 PM »

Well, I mostly enjoy running around as "PK duty" soldier (Stainless Pot + Frying pan, hee hee), which also puts me in mind of a kid playing amongst men or someone otehrwise cluelessly out of his depth (appropriate, given my skill level), but sometimes changing it up is fun.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2010, 01:28:04 AM »

Wait, I thought all Halloween hats were tradable? Regardless of whether or not the metal is.

Mine is "Dirty", but I meant that I was going to make a hat and trade the hat, rather than just trade the metal. The main argument against doing that is whether or not I want to waste an extra refined (which in the grand scheme of things isn't THAT much).

What (is supposed) to happen is that, if you make an item, and any one of the source items is not tradeable, the resulting items are not tradeable.

What happened to produce tradeable (Clean) hats is there was a glitch with gift wrap when it first came out - it stripped that "Not tradeable" thing from the metal whenever you gifted it. That's why there's some 'clean' hats floating around.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2010, 07:40:51 AM »

I'm pretty sure the hats themselves are tradeable, even if the metal isn't. I've seen several people trade Halloween hats without using gift wrap. I know Starr traded the voodoo hat straight-up for a demonskull without using gift wrap.

I also recall some text somewhere in one of the blog updates saying that the hats were tradeable (though I can't find that now).

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2010, 07:53:03 PM »

Again, there was a bug in the first few days of the Halloween Update that you could abuse Gift Wrap to remove the "Cannot Trade" from the metal, thus generating Clean Hats.

This was fixed. It is impossible to get Clean Halloween Hats anymore.

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 17, 2010, 09:52:47 PM »

-snip-

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 17, 2010, 11:05:02 PM »

Again, there was a bug in the first few days of the Halloween Update that you could abuse Gift Wrap to remove the "Cannot Trade" from the metal, thus generating Clean Hats.

This was fixed. It is impossible to get Clean Halloween Hats anymore.

That still doesn't answer the the question of how several people I know were able to trade the hats (in the last few days of the update) without ever having so much as looked at gift wrap, let alone buy it or let it anywhere near their hats. 

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2010, 07:34:06 AM »

I will trade any amount of metal, up to one full refined (s'all I've got) for a JAG.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2010, 08:00:32 AM »

Find someone that's crate-crazy and trade them a winter crate for a Jag which they probably got for one of their crates.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2010, 01:55:15 PM »

Got one (broke down and opened the pair of crates we had, got lucky).

Planning on ENGIE MAYHEM to-nite!

Zaratustra

• what
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2010, 02:40:07 PM »

Will trade Medic's Gonzilla for the black cowboy hat or the Medic Beak.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13