Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

Black/White and Starter?

Black/Smugsnake
- 5 (18.5%)
Black/Sadotter
- 5 (18.5%)
Black/Firepig
- 3 (11.1%)
White/Smugsnake
- 5 (18.5%)
White/Sadotter
- 3 (11.1%)
White/Firepig
- 6 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 78

Author Topic: Pokeymans  (Read 101227 times)

Aintaer

• My hubris!
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Pokeymans
« Reply #1320 on: April 27, 2011, 09:41:42 AM »

derp

Lady Duke

• Shiny Ranger
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: May 01, 2011, 09:55:50 AM »

I want some new maps to look for pokemon in on PGL.  I'm totally sick of the pleasant forest and 1 million surskits and bellsprouts and tangelas and rattatas :(

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: May 01, 2011, 01:11:34 PM »

Once you get 2500 points, you get a new map. Points come from swapping shit, planting shit, and watering other people's shit, as well as finishing minigames. Other new maps come at 5000 and 7500, and at 10000 all your maps get new mons you can retrieve. You can check your point total on your profile.
...but is it art?

Lady Duke

• Shiny Ranger
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: May 01, 2011, 09:06:51 PM »

Well I got a new one today, but I don't like I can't pick my choice for where I go on the island of dreams.  That is so fucking stupid; thank you pokemon, for not allowing me to choose anything.  I couldn't have made up my mind otherwise :|

Aintaer

• My hubris!
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: May 03, 2011, 08:33:23 AM »

You knew when you signed up for this that the Random Number God controls this world.
By the way, Windswept Skies is the only place to give you EV reducing berries. I'ma farm the shit out of them!

A helpful list of things you get in the GL.

PointsDerpology
9003rd farm row
21004th farm row
2500Windswept skies. Notably gotten here, EV berries.
5000Sparkling Sea
7500More pokemans in all areas + new items
10000You are the very best. All currently Dreamworld pokemon available, also some shitty items.

The most notable thing about 10000 points is that it takes that much to get the useful pokemon like Drought vulpix or Drizzle politoed. Or a lapras. Or skitty so you can get your hsowa.

BTW, the most points you get from one action is 50 from sending a pokemon from dreamworld to your game. But since you have to minigame for it anyway, you'll get at least 60 points if you just send any random nidoran back. 10 points for every berry tree harvested and others' farm plant watered, none for planting.

Aintaer

• My hubris!
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: May 03, 2011, 01:41:41 PM »

Also, Bouffalant, Chandelure, Jellicent, Hydreigon, Excadrill makes a team that's immune to 10 out of 17 types.

Lady Duke

• Shiny Ranger
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: May 03, 2011, 09:03:38 PM »

If you're farming berries by going to the island of dreams, you've already done something wrong!  I've seen all of one on the island, but I got them my first day online just by doodling around in peoples shelves.

Aintaer

• My hubris!
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: May 04, 2011, 06:50:15 AM »

No I mean plant them in the farm so as to make harvest. And back some weeks ago, only the Japanese players with enough time in the Dream World could have accumulated enough points to get those berries, so it was a lot rarer to see on a shelf.

Aintaer

• My hubris!
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: May 10, 2011, 07:47:21 AM »

Battle subway super single line gives 5BP for the first 7, then 6BP for the second, 7BP for the third, so on. Until you hit subway boss on the 7th set, i.e. 49th battle. Beating them all gives you 75BP, enough for A BALLOON!

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: May 14, 2011, 10:10:46 PM »

I think I've finally come up with a killer strategy that even the good folks at Smogon haven't. At least, it's not mentioned anywhere in their analyses. In my magnanimity, I will share it with you.

So. Step 1. Take a Drifblim. Train it for maximum HP. You'll probably want speed, too. Give it Substitute and Baton Pass. Anything that prevents the substitute from taking damage will help as well. Maybe Hypnosis. You might want to use the Flying Gem/Acrobatics/Unburden combo to boost its speed. Minimize might do the trick as well.

One of the buffs that Baton Pass can pass is Substitute. The substitute will retain the HP given to it by the original user of the move, but it always has the typing and defenses of the pokemon hiding behind it. Of all Baton Pass users, Drifblim's HP is the highest, making it an ideal choice for this setup. Pass the substitute to the pokemon with the highest defense: Shuckle.

Shuckle isn't dangerous, but taking one down even with status moves and other indirect attacks is a grueling effort. When the Shuckle is hiding behind a substitute which alone has 2/3 of the HP as the bug itself....

While hiding behind the substitute, a Shuckle can set up for just about anything. It's very likely to get the two turns needed to set up Trick Room and then Power Trick, turning it into the most powerful sweeper in the game (though the risk of running into priority attack users is high). If you do this, Rock Blast would probably be the more effective choice of attack, as it can deal with Sturdy and Focus Sash enemies. If you opt for a more defensive tactic, there's a good chance you'll get enough time to set up six layers of Double Team. Basically, anything that a Shuckle can normally do can be done better behind a gigantic Substitute.

There are drawbacks to this, of course. Substitute prevents contact effects from triggering, so a Rocky Helmet won't chip away at the opponent's HP. The substitute can't be healed with Leftovers (or, indeed, any other method), and the fact that you can't see the substitute's HP can hinder efforts to plan ahead. Roar, Whirlwind, and Perish Song all go through substitute, as well, which can put the kibosh on any setup you attempt. And it all goes to pot if your enemy can handle a Drifblim. But I think it has potential.
...but is it art?

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: May 15, 2011, 08:34:00 AM »

But I think it has potential.

It didn't in fourth-gen. Baton Pass was one of my favorite moves to gimmick with, and I had a Sub/Pass Drifblim at my disposal.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: May 15, 2011, 09:30:41 AM »

It seemed better in my mind when I was wrong about how HP is calculated, and I was under the impression that the substitute would have more HP than the Shuckle hiding behind it, instead of about 2/3 as much.
...but is it art?

Aintaer

• My hubris!
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: May 15, 2011, 10:43:51 AM »

This strategy involves a 4 turn setup using two pokemon to set up for 5 turns.
A taunt in any of these four turns will ruin your strategy, which is why it is gimmicky at best. Drifblim may have max 504 HP but with such shoddy defense and special defense (150/44/54 spread), this is dangerous.

For example: Jolly Gyarados will outspeed every specimen of Drifblim with base 81 vs base 80 speed. Gyarados with a Life Orb Stone Edge has 50% probability (actually slightly higher than 50) to put Drifblim below 25% HP. Assuming Stone Edge doesn't critical.

Also, roar/whirlwind (and now dragon tail) is probably the biggest bane to Baton Passing teams. Second biggest: taunt/encore. Taking four turns to set up is Just Too Prone To Countermeasures to be viable. Shuckle's 559 (possibly 614 with positive nature) Def/Sp.D might make for a worthy Attack stat, but if I can get the same in 1 turn with a Swords Dance, why bother with the whole setup?

Any pokemon with base Sp.A over 78 can (if faster) switch in, or if slower, just attack and destroy the substitute with Hidden Power Ice.

PapillonReel

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: May 15, 2011, 01:06:24 PM »

If Taunt and Encore are going to be a problem, you could always just use a Mental Herb on Drifblim or Shuckle to give yourself an opening - Gamefreak upgraded it bigtime in the transition from D/P/Pt to B/W. Granted, there's nothing stopping them from Taunting again the turn after, WiFi's enforced Item Clause won't let you put it on both Pokémon at the same time, and it still won't help you with the main problem with Baton Pass teams (i.e. getting forced out by Whirlwind or Roar, or KO-ed outright by Perish Song) but anything helps, right?

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: May 15, 2011, 02:39:25 PM »

IME the main problem with Baton Pass teams is that they take too damn long to set up when they should be just punchin' dudes.

Aintaer

• My hubris!
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: May 15, 2011, 05:00:53 PM »

Jolly Gyarados gets up to 523 attack after 1 dragon dance. That's 1 turn, 1 pokemon.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: May 15, 2011, 08:12:23 PM »

Of course there are things you can do that are easier, safer, and more effective - strategies that are strictly superior.

The point isn't to win. The point is to win with a Shuckle.
...but is it art?

PapillonReel

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: May 15, 2011, 08:25:01 PM »

How about a Contrary Shuckle with Swagger then? You'll cut an opponent's Attack in half and confuse them all in the same turn, giving you ample time as they switch to something else to Knock Off items and/or throw Toxic around. The only catch is it hasn't been released in the Dream World (and is banned from random WiFi as a result), but you can probably find a hacker on GameFAQs willing to trade you one to use in FC matches in exchange for something rare, like a legit shiny.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: May 15, 2011, 09:59:23 PM »

I thought Contrary reversed stat changes the user received, not the ones they caused. That's interesting.
...but is it art?

PapillonReel

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: May 15, 2011, 10:10:05 PM »

Truth be told, I'm honestly not sure; I'm just going by the description of the ability. I've never had the chance to try Contrary out. Hmm...

EDIT: Never mind. Just looked into how Contrary works, and you're right - it only reverses the stats received instead the moves used. Oh well.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 78