Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 41

Author Topic: Don't you know there's a war on?  (Read 68788 times)

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Don't you know there's a war on?
« Reply #600 on: September 13, 2012, 04:44:48 AM »

Embassy in Yemen is stormed by protesters

Luckily no one was hurt this time. Though I have my misgivings about blaming it on that video. While I'm sure that people got angry about it, that anger really seems to be bubbling over in countries where America has been messing with the politics, and some where we're bombing them to hell and back. It's almost as if the video has touched off deeper held sentiments.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #601 on: September 13, 2012, 07:04:19 AM »

From what I heard on the radio yesterday and today, there IS some suggestion that these attacks were planned in advance for the anniversary of 9/11 and the video was a coincidence.

That said, what the interviewer talking to people on the street suggested was that most of the locals believed it was retaliation for the video (and indeed didn't understand why the US government wouldn't take the video down).

One way or another, yeah, I think we can all agree that the video may be an excuse but it's not the real cause.

The NPR correspondent in Benghazi was suggesting that Stevens was a really popular guy there and the public as a whole is pretty outraged.  I'm still worried the killers could get away without being identified, but if that's true then they're going to have a much harder time keeping their heads down.

EDIT: MEANWHILE: McCain is blaming it on Obama for pulling out of Iraq.  Really.

EDIT 2: The New Yorker has a good piece called What Was Really Behind the Benghazi Attack?, which persuasively argues that this is a relevant question even as people are jumping all over the "it was a YouTube video" explanation.  It bolsters the "it was an excuse" point:

And these far right groups that feign religious and moral outrage are being very deliberate in their progress. They have turned a blind eye to what can be argued are conservative Libyans’ more traditional concerns. They have said nothing, for example, about the widespread consumption of drugs and alcohol among Libya’s youth, about the young men who fill Tripoli’s costal cafes late into the night, descending into hopeless states of intoxication before every weekend. This is not an oversight but intentional. Infringing on the freedoms and fun of young people would provoke too much anger and, more crucially, lose the extreme right the support of their main target audience: young men. Like Benito Mussolini’s Milan fascio in nineteen-twenties Italy, Libya’s far right also knows that it cannot rule through violence and fear if it does not have the young and strong on its side.

So instead they have focussed on easy targets: architecture, women, and, now, America, or, more abstractly, the West. They demolished landmarks, claiming them to be unreligious; demanded that women be banned from cafés; and now, because of a film almost no one has seen, they have attacked symbols of the American state. But perhaps this latest assault is their most cunning. Not only because it involved the loss of four innocent lives, but also because it is trying cynically to capitalize on legitimate grievances.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: September 13, 2012, 07:50:21 AM »

BEEP BOOP MY BINARY BRAIN CANNOT COMPREHEND CONCEPTS MORE COMPLICATED THAN YOUTUBE VIDEOS

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: September 13, 2012, 08:01:16 AM »

And these far right groups that feign religious and moral outrage are being very deliberate in their progress. They have turned a blind eye to what can be argued are conservative Libyans’ more traditional concerns.

Yeah Libya sure is a fucked up place amirite

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #604 on: September 13, 2012, 01:15:07 PM »

The guy credited as its filmmaker, "Sam Bacile," has been outed as one Nakoula Basseley Nakoula. He first told news outlets he was an Israeli Jew; law enforcement authorities have since identified him as a Coptic Christian immigrant with a shady past. He reportedly has a criminal record including at least one narcotics conviction: an LA County District Attorney’s office source says he was arrested by the L.A. Country Sheriff's Department in 1997 and charged with intent to manufacture methamphetamine.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: September 13, 2012, 01:21:09 PM »

People are going to start reaching for Niko Bellic references now, aren't they?

COUSIN NIKOULA, DO YOU WANT TO START BEEG AMERICAN SHEETSTORM?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 13, 2012, 02:27:49 PM »

Because he claimed he was a Jew, the internet is now aflame with hilarious/sinister IT WAS A SECRET MOSSAD OP!!!! chatter.

Rest assured that if this was a Mossad op, I doubt we'd have even realized that this attack was separate from the protests.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: September 13, 2012, 02:36:24 PM »

EDIT: MEANWHILE: McCain is blaming it on Obama for pulling out of Iraq.  Really.

Yeah, it's looking like Republicans are getting their message together and that message is "run with Romney and blame this on Obama". I guess they are going all in on this strategy and hoping that the media goes along with it.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: September 13, 2012, 02:49:25 PM »

Which is going to work beautifully, seeing as how we've already managed to make arrests and further inquiries.  The worst thing they can say about Obama is that a situation occurred, not that he mishandled it at all, just "It happened JUST SAYING."

The elephant in the room here is so goddam gigantic that it is fucking crushing me, help.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: September 13, 2012, 03:05:47 PM »

Oh, so the GOP logo.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: September 13, 2012, 03:31:36 PM »

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: September 13, 2012, 04:06:09 PM »

I like how Newt kind of wishy-washily implies that this should be an act of war by Al-Qaeda... the terrorist group we are already basically at war with and whose leader Obama had killed.

I cannot fucking believe that the right is seriously trying to make this election about foreign policy.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #612 on: September 13, 2012, 08:21:39 PM »

Because he claimed he was a Jew, the internet is now aflame with hilarious/sinister IT WAS A SECRET MOSSAD OP!!!! chatter.

Rest assured that if this was a Mossad op, I doubt we'd have even realized that this attack was separate from the protests.

...huh.  I'll admit that the confluence of an offensive video by a mysterious, shady Middle-Eastern individual operating under a pseudonym just in time to be blamed for an attack that was probably orchestrated well in advance DID make my conspiracy theory sense tingle a bit, but I must not be very good at conspiracy theories because I was going to blame it on the Libyan terrorists, not The Jews.

(And, you know, while a plant would be convenient, it's not like it's actually REQUIRED in this case.  The Venn Diagram of "crazy shit posted pseudonymously to Youtube" and "shit Muslim extremists might use to enflame anti-American sentiment" is two pretty fucking large circles with a significant overlap.  They could have just as easily punched in "muhammad blasphemy" and hit I'm Feeling Lucky.)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: September 14, 2012, 08:33:13 AM »

FYI guys, waves of protests are hitting just about every western embassy in the Middle East and northeast Africa right now.

EDIT: All the way to central Asia, actually. Just about the entire Muslim world outside of Turkey, Morocco, and Indonesia.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: September 14, 2012, 09:15:06 AM »

Maybe they're sick of being cast as the enemy of civilization for the past fifteen years.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: September 14, 2012, 10:08:03 AM »

Them and us both, compadre.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #616 on: September 17, 2012, 07:46:05 AM »

Via Gaiman, a letter from one of the actresses who appears in the film but thought she was appearing in a completely different film.

Given that Nakoula's already in trouble for fraud, I'm curious what his potential liability could be for misleading a cast of actors into putting their faces on this thing.  Wonder what kind of contracts he had them sign, and whether a contract would even hold up under such self-evidently deceptive circumstances.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 17, 2012, 08:43:20 AM »

Well, assuming the actors themselves aren't lying.  I can honestly say I wouldn't hold it against them one bit if they were.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 17, 2012, 09:21:56 AM »

Considering they might have bounties put on their heads for this, yeah, they might have a case. And yeah, I wouldn't blame them at all if they were lying, because I doubt that even if they went into it with open eyes they were frothing-at-the-mouth right wingers - starving actors desperate for B-grade movie work typically aren't.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #619 on: September 17, 2012, 09:33:20 AM »

Well, assuming the actors themselves aren't lying.

Well, I haven't watched the video but my understanding is that it's pretty obviously dubbed.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 41