Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: JASON NO  (Read 7399 times)

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: JASON NO
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2010, 11:39:19 AM »

So... 1up gave it an A. I am in fact surprised.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2010, 12:22:33 PM »

You're surprised that game reviewer organizations can't say no to hype?

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2010, 12:43:24 PM »

Or maybe it's a decent game after all.  I guess until one of us actually plays it, we'll never know.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2010, 12:46:28 PM »

I'd believe that the game could be good or bad, but "big name title gets good reviews" is up there with "movie does well at box office, wins some sort of award."

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2010, 05:39:41 PM »

there are rumors that sony threatened to blackball anyone who gave it a lousy review.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2010, 07:03:57 PM »

I don't really want to just out and say that all game reviews arrive at magazine/website offices with a check and a cliff's note version to be rewritten in the reviewer's style, but I don't really know of anything that would suggest this doesn't happen.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2010, 07:22:02 PM »

Sharkey used to get really pissed about people saying that, but that's either denial or proof, depending on your paranoia level.

Detonator

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2010, 07:40:18 PM »

I think there is a possibility of bias on a subconscious level.  I'm gonna go out on a limb and say most big-budget modern games are fun to play at least once.  A reviewer only has time to play a game once, so all they have to go on for their final score is "was this game fun to play once? yeah".

A lot of what makes a game truly great is their lasting appeal, so a reviewer will have to make a judgment call based on incomplete information.  I'd say that they're more willing to give the benefit of the doubt to certain games rather than others, which may inflate their score to the point where months, or even weeks later, people will say "what were they thinking?".

The solution, of course, is to do away with review scores, but that will never, ever ever happen.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2010, 08:43:17 PM »

I like it when a review starts with, "You're probably not going to read this and just skip to the score, BUT -"
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2010, 09:09:56 PM »

<Frocto> http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/10/review-heavy-rain/ I can't read this anymore
<Lee-Ham> "The game's reality would simply shatter if you were suddenly pressing buttons to throw random punches, or using the analog stick to aim a gun."
<Lee-Ham> "It makes sense that the only game I've ever played that came close to what Heavy Rain accomplishes is Quantic Dream's prior effort, Indigo Prophecy."
<Lee-Ham> "Heavy Rain is an experience that will have you unable to put down your controller from beginning to end, and you'll likely be looking back on what an amazing, unique and moving experience it was for years to come. I know I will."
<Lee-Ham> OK this review is clearly a troll
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2010, 09:47:03 PM »

An A-?  Well, clearly the game must be a mark of quality.  Let's compare the score to the most similar game I can think of, Indigo Prophecy.

Ah, an A.  So at least they're consistent.  But let's look at other big name titles.

Fallout 3 - A
Grand Theft Auto IV - A
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - A+
Halo 3 - A
Super Mario Galaxy - A
Bioshock - A+
Metal Gear Solid 4 - A
Half-Life 2 - A
Final Fantasy XII - A

So, either every big name game, super-hyped game that comes out is top quality (a few of these are actually 10s, from when 1UP had numerical grades) or 1UP hasn't found a hyped game they don't buy into.

Admittedly this list is limited to only games I could think of off the top of my head.  Feel free to scrounge around for other BIG NAME games, though.

But basically, take the initial review with a grain of salt, really.  1UP has a history of proclaiming any new, exciting game as the king of games, then months later the rest of the internet turns on it for being less than stellar.  I'm looking at you, Bioshock.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2010, 09:55:34 PM »

this is a good post with that avatar.

Detonator

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2010, 09:59:40 PM »

They gave Spore a B+, which considering the hype, should have set off some sort of screeching klaxon.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2010, 01:33:21 AM »

Fallout 3 - A
Grand Theft Auto IV - A
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - A+
Halo 3 - A
Super Mario Galaxy - A
Bioshock - A+
Metal Gear Solid 4 - A
Half-Life 2 - A
Final Fantasy XII - A

A lot of those are not As in hindsight but when they were brand new people weren't exactly aware of how shallow they were.  I mean you've probably caught me gushing about Bioshock, FF12 and Fallout 3 before I got far enough in to find out that they're all a tad lacking in real depth.  Most of the rest I haven't played.  HL2 honestly deserves the reverent cocksucking it generally receives imo.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2010, 10:47:59 AM »

The idea is more that 1UP tends to buy into hype and get really excited about new games, too.

Lobst

• Apatosaur Dreamer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Chili Con Comrades
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2010, 11:03:49 AM »

Maybe the reviewer was enchanted by the sight of weird, creepy actually-kind-of-nice tits paired with dead-eyed facial expressions.

*walks into room* "Hey David, how's the review g--"

*covers up screen* "I'M PLAYING ART HERE!  LAY OFF"

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2010, 11:14:10 AM »

After reading/hearing more about it, I might actually pick this up for the unintended humor value.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »

Mercs 2 - B+
Far Cry 2 - B+
Rainbow Six Vegas 2 - A-
Audiosurf - A
Perfect Dark Zero - A
Killzone 2 - A

I've been suspicious as hell of 1up's high marks since that big reorginization a while back. I think they've just gotten big enough that they're not necessarily allowed to call a bad game out as such without facing some significant repercussions. These are not good games.

I tend to stick to Select Button's impressions and Action Button for reviews. Not really sure who else to trust.

PhoenixUltima

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2010, 11:43:34 AM »

I don't bother with reviews. I just get whatever games sound good and are in my favored genres (RPGs of different styles and FPSes, mostly). For the most part I have a pretty good sense of what games I'll enjoy (although it failed me for Makai Kingdom, which I found boring as hell), so this works out.

I'm torn on Heavy Rain. On one hand, I fucking loved Indigo Prophecy, so I'm eager to play another game from the same creators. On the other hand, if looking after borderline-autistic kids without enough sense to not wander into traffic is the sort of thing you end up doing all the time, well. Of course, knowing Quantic Dream it could easily turn out that he was being psychically called away by a Mayan death cult bent on ruling the world by calling down some sort of evil snake god.
The captain of the gravy train!

Miss Cat Ears

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2010, 11:48:45 AM »

Heavy Rain
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the upcoming video game. For classifications of the quantity of rain, see Rain.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6