Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 58

Author Topic: Jap Cartoons  (Read 93254 times)

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Jap Cartoons
« on: February 01, 2008, 11:15:42 PM »

Dagger of Kamui (1985) aka Forrest Gump w/Ninja. Directed by Rintaro, our lord and savior, hallowed be thy name.

Follows this kid by the name of Jiro, who continually has friends and family drop dead around him due to the Shogunate fucking with him non-stop. There are so many plot & character twists, you'd swear a few of them almost developed dimension. We're talking ninja clans, supernatural assassins, double-crosses galore, and Ainu in the first hour.

The second hour is where it all goes purely batshit, and becomes a classic. The story continues on to develop multiple master/slave relationships, a travel across the Pacific, landing in Nevada before California, near Indian rape, a high noon shootout, Captain Kidd's secret gold treasure trove, and then a trip back to Japan as the Shogunate falls and revenge is served with cannonballs. Mark Twain appears for a heart to heart with Jiro, and Saigou Takamori (The Last Fucking Samurai) pops up at the end. Hell, Jiro was voiced by Hiroyuki Sanada, who played Ujio in The Last Fucking Samurai.

It's too long due to a relentless barrage of flashbacks throughout, and seems opposed to the usage of sound as if it was heresy. The passage of time is handled expertly, so much so that an innate desire to find a save point occurs from scene to scene. This sucker deals with more locations and oddball characters than a Hironobu Sakaguchi production.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Jap Cartoons
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 08:02:14 AM »

Oh my God.

All the time, it was...

We finally really did it.

You Maniacs!

You blew it up!

Ah, damn you!

God damn you all to hell!

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 04:06:16 PM »

Following up, Minami-ke Okawari: You know, once you muscle your way past the gag reflex, all kinds of possibilities open up. Canontards tried to bring this series down early on, but its gained a following all its own. Outside of the terrible loss of the Three Minami Brothers, and the addition of one new - kid - who - could - drop - dead - and - no - one - would - care, everyone is back. The direction is more inventive, and the opening freaks out the squares.

Vaguely approved, for now. Last two episodes apparently ramp up DURAMA.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 04:39:38 PM »

I finally finished Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Nothing more really needs to be said.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 05:43:49 PM »

ADV would've been best served by translating the title as EPIC MANEUVER: The Animation.

Al Baron

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 07:04:15 AM »

I was actually going to watch Minami-ke, but decided to go wtih Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei and Zoku Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei.

Glad I did.

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 12:23:17 PM »

Unfortunately, ZSZS will only get crappy subs in this lifetime.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 03:39:22 PM »

B... B... Bob?

Are you fucking kidding me?

Koah

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 04:23:11 PM »

Just watched Mnemosyne.  It's, uh...

...you know, I have no fucking idea how to explain it aside from vague terms involving people trying to cater to the tastes of myself and Niku simultaneously.  Someone else might know a better way to put it, but I doubt it.

's good, though.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 06:47:51 PM »

Mnemosyne defines the AT-X network, full of gore and tits, but just sharp enough to not lull you to sleep in-between. Figures they created it to commemorate their tenth anniversary, although I'd say all the hype about its gore has been blown out of proportion, torture lesbians and all.

Anyways, Spring Previews are up here & here. The important point to remember?

He's Back.

parish

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 11:37:36 PM »

He's Back.

OH MY HELL ASS BITCH CRAP HLGLARGHRLBL

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 08:21:35 AM »

A full season of improbable odds and CGI helicopter sequences await!

Meanwhile, the unprecedented rise of Kyonko in the past month has been, uh, unprecedented.

She may now have more fanart than Mikuru(!).

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 05:02:10 PM »

I will set the world on fire if no one subs Golgo 13.

Al Baron

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 03:42:08 PM »

Welcome back, Code PizzaHut/Biglobe. Don't ever change.

Seriously, though, [spoiler]where did Lelouch's little brother come from? I can accept them repressing his memories of Zero and to have basically a replay of the beginning of Season 1, but how does Rollo fit into all this?[/spoiler]

Fredward

• a romantic soul
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 08:05:42 PM »

Someone needs to compile an "Anime Worth Watching" list for those of us who can't understand Arc. Srsly.

Maybe it's just me, but I swear that everyone on the internet who watches anime is either a) a tasteless idiot, b) massively cryptic about their tastes, or c) both. I mean, I only just found out about Azumanga Daioh. Which apparently everyone's been talking about for years. Is this some kind of secret club? With a password and a secret handshake and everything?
Quote from: Brentai
It's never easy to tell just where the line is between physical malady and the general crushing horror of life itself.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 08:24:16 PM »

:whut:

It's not what you think. I didn't clue him in guys! :>_>:

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 09:40:26 PM »

Someone needs to compile an "Anime Worth Watching" list for those of us who can't understand Arc. Srsly.

Azumanga Daioh, Kino's Journey, Berserk, FLCL, Giant Robo, Cowboy Bebop, Read or Die (OAV).  For one shot movies, you can't go wrong with most Miyazaki works, Akira, or Satoshi Kon's stuff.  The main problem is there are so many fucking genres represented that you really have to look for the kind of shit you enjoy, and then look for recommendations there.  But all of those, I recommend looking up and then watching if it sounds like your cup of tea.  There are some other examples I could think of, but some of them work better if you've already inundated yourself with JAPANIMATIONS, so there's a start at least.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 09:42:35 PM »

I only just found out about Azumanga Daioh.

Banned.

Al Baron

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2008, 09:42:48 PM »

Actually, Minami-ke would be a pretty good series for you to watch, Fredward. It's the modern day Azumanga Daioh without going into batshit insane country. If you actually want that, look up Pani Poni Dash and Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei.

Adult Swim is currently running Death Note, which can be summed up like so. It's like someone decided to out Xanatos Xanatos.

Somewhat related to that, Season 1 of Code PizzaHutGeass will also be running on a late-night slot later this month. It's basically the anti-Sunrise-Giant-Robot show; it turns a lot of those show's conventions on it's head. Season 2 just premiered yesterday.

Also, what Niku said.

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008, 10:28:52 PM »

Black lagoon is also definitely worth watching
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 58