Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 45

Author Topic: Culture Wars  (Read 73305 times)

Transportation

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Culture Wars
« Reply #360 on: May 20, 2010, 10:37:18 PM »

Er, I get the smug bit, but arguing that people shouldn't do it because it makes people violently angry is silly. By that definition any form of protest or any iconoclastic behavior is wrong. Bill Maher is clearly a national threat. If anything, it encourages Christian extremists or whoever to use violence to stop things they don't like.

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 21, 2010, 02:42:13 AM »

As someone important would say, "I do not agree with your drawing, but I will give my life to defend your right to draw it".

I know I disagree on a lot of things you say man, but that is just INSANE. I really don't want you dead.

So as of this day I am giving up my right to draw or create any depictions of Mohammed. Yes, yes, slippery slope and whatever but if giving up on my right to do something so utterly meaningless to me means that you get to keep your life, then I will compromise to never draw such a thing. You know why I'm compromising, because I'm not some sort of asshole.

Er, I get the smug bit, but arguing that people shouldn't do it because it makes people violently angry is silly. By that definition any form of protest or any iconoclastic behavior is wrong. Bill Maher is clearly a national threat. If anything, it encourages Christian extremists or whoever to use violence to stop things they don't like.

Also, we are talking about drawings of Mohammed, not abortion or some other thing that actually matters. I want you to give me a reason why you specifically would ever need to draw a picture of Mohammed. I certainly don't have one, because I don't give a shit about Mohammed. I'm willing to bet that you don't care about it either, but I'm asking you to give me one just be courteous.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 21, 2010, 04:22:11 AM »

It's terrible because, unfortunately, it's going to take people getting killed for everyone to realize that this was a terrible idea.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 21, 2010, 04:58:06 AM »

Since when has getting a bunch of people they don't know killed ever convinced someone that something was a terrible idea?

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 21, 2010, 08:31:18 AM »

When it affected them monetarily.

Hellooooo lawsuits!

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 21, 2010, 08:37:31 AM »

first they came for the shitty no-talent hack political cartoonists and i said nothing

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #366 on: May 21, 2010, 06:20:45 PM »

Er, I get the smug bit, but arguing that people shouldn't do it because it makes people violently angry is silly.

Not what I said.

The issue is that it's not their OWN asses they're putting on the line.  The people who are actually drawing the pictures aren't putting themselves in harm's way, they are exclusively putting OTHER people in harm's way.

I respect people who are willing to put their lives on the line to defend their rights.

I do not respect people who are willing to put OTHER people's lives on the line to defend their rights, while they themselves kick back with a beer.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 21, 2010, 06:59:02 PM »

That's a pretty good point.

I mean illustrators do face some danger in these situations but it's kind of terrifying how much distant chaos they can call into being just by criticizing something this volatile. I assume for their own indirect gain, to assuage this foreign guilt about people we perceive as repressed needing us to save them.

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 22, 2010, 01:43:51 PM »

Welp, the fascist theocrats have passed their awful oppiniofact ridden school curriculum and doomed a generation into attempted indoctrination into their hate-spewing super-capitalism way of life.

:hellamad:

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 22, 2010, 01:50:46 PM »

What's really great is those same people accused Obama's address to students, the same one that their prized Ronald Reagan started mind you, as indoctrination.

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 27, 2010, 02:07:15 PM »

Texas GOP still crazy

They want to keep the supreme court from ruling on cases concerning the bill of rights.  Not to mention the ridiculous, but expected topic of religious freedom and slightly unexpected one of abortion--I thought they wanted to overturn Roe v. Wade.... or do they want to say that it's null and void due to being outside their jurisdiction despite that being the opposite of reality.

Also, they hate blowjobs, foreigners, and the UN.  But that's just the standard for them now.

But hey, at least they support Israel.... albeit for horrible reasons.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 27, 2010, 02:19:40 PM »

Functional if not explicit policies of ethnic cleansing and racial/religious superiority, maintaining and denying illegal weapons stockpiles, and a history of pissing in everybody's faces while constantly proclaiming victimhood status?  I can't imagine how the Texas GOP could possibly identify with Israel.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #372 on: June 27, 2010, 10:09:37 PM »

They want to keep the supreme court from ruling on cases concerning the bill of rights.

Yeah, you know, there are conservatives who I disagree with who are intelligent, well-read people who simply have a different value system than I do.

And then there are conservatives who don't have a fourth-grade understanding of civics.  And who manage to get elected to office because their constituents don't have a THIRD-grade understanding of civics.

I am legitimately, deeply opposed to requiring anyone to pass a test in order to vote or run for public office, but shit like this gives me pause.  If someone asks you what the Supreme Court does, and you can't answer "Interpret the Constitution", you shouldn't be doing either.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 05, 2010, 10:53:39 AM »

A series of four tweets I put out after hearing Andrew Wilkow, conservative talk show host.

Normally, I don't agree with them, but the guy does raise a valid point.
http://twitter.com/dohlbomber/status/20408365992
http://twitter.com/dohlbomber/status/20408406141
http://twitter.com/dohlbomber/status/20408529819
http://twitter.com/dohlbomber/status/20408636657

He even stated, "I hate it when the Republicans do this too."  and cited stuff like No Child Left Behind.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 05, 2010, 05:45:45 PM »

If you have to use four tweets to finish a thought then you're not using Twitter right.

(Granted, using Twitter right basically equates to "like a douche" by design.)

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: August 05, 2010, 06:03:26 PM »

Yeah, fuck that noise.  I'll be a douche by flooding rathr than b a dushe by trnctng #twitterblows

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 06, 2010, 11:04:25 AM »

speaking of culture wars and social media

Conservatives organize to bury stuff from liberals on Digg

Favorite quote, "No up-votes (no matter how much you agree)."

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #377 on: August 06, 2010, 09:40:08 PM »

If you have to use four tweets to finish a thought then you're not using Twitter right.

Also, if you have to link to them individually instead of just copypasting.

Just sayin'.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 07, 2010, 02:32:26 PM »

I'm still not sure what liberal and conservative mean. Is it just red versus blue?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 07, 2010, 04:19:44 PM »

I'm still not sure what liberal and conservative mean. Is it just red versus blue?

Basically yeah. The best part is that the factions invert randomly as you go from country to country.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 45