Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 37

Author Topic: Unforgivable Sins of Game Design  (Read 67732 times)

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Unforgivable Sins of Game Design
« Reply #580 on: October 11, 2011, 08:52:45 PM »

Dawn of War didn't get females until it's 4th installment. And they weren't included in DoW 2, right?

So they might get ladies, eventually buuuuuut...

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: October 11, 2011, 08:59:07 PM »

The Guard will probably be both genders.  And of course Eldar.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 10, 2012, 06:32:14 PM »

"There's no combat in this game!", or "You can skip combat in this game!", by which they're either talking about Stealth or, if you're playing Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Chase Sequences.

These are people who have completely missed the god damned point.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 10, 2012, 06:44:38 PM »

In The Old Republic, there are nine playable races, but no individual class has access to more than 5.  You can unlock races for play for additional classes, though, by leveling a character of that race to 50, or by reaching a certain amount of story progression and then paying a pile of ingame money.  So, for instance, Miraluka can only be Jedi Knights or Jedi Consulars, so if I wanted to play a Miraluka Smuggler, I need to either 50 a Miraluka Jedi or get one far enough to pay the several hundred thousand credits it costs to unlock.

What makes this stupid is that race is 100% cosmetic.  Not even stat differences, no abilities are different, it's as big a thing as hairstyle.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 10, 2012, 07:04:53 PM »

What legitimate reason could a single character have for possessing that much money at one time? Reported.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: April 11, 2012, 03:31:25 AM »

Only TA could somehow manage to both be mad something exists and that he has to do work to get it.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: April 11, 2012, 08:19:16 AM »

Only TA could somehow manage to both be mad something exists and that he has to do work to get it.

It's a purely cosmetic thing, so why isn't it just available from the start?  Why the bullshit unlocking?

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 11, 2012, 08:26:42 AM »

Because bullshit cosmetics are the only reward in MMOs not tied directly to necessity and temporary value?

(In English: Your raid gear will be useless in the next expansion, but your Wookie Jedi is forever.)

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 11, 2012, 08:26:53 AM »

Because it's just cosmetic and not important, so that's the sort of thing that is acceptable to bullshit unlock.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: April 11, 2012, 09:07:57 AM »

What makes this stupid is that race is 100% cosmetic.  Not even stat differences, no abilities are different, it's as big a thing as hairstyle.

It's a forest and there are enough vain fuckers around that I kind of want to whip out my "too much time on my hands" dick.

EDIT:
It makes a cacaphonic sound, by the way.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 25, 2012, 07:23:33 PM »

We've been putting up with PCs and NPCs getting impatient, snarky, or just plain rude if you stand still too long in just about any game since Sonic the Hedgehog, and it really needs to go away now.  Especially since a player can be doing any number of things that don't involve running around like a moron.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 25, 2012, 08:03:25 PM »

It's a fair thing to do if you're idling.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: May 26, 2012, 12:03:02 AM »

I actually really like it.

PhoenixUltima

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: May 26, 2012, 02:51:51 AM »

We've been putting up with PCs and NPCs getting impatient, snarky, or just plain rude if you stand still too long in just about any game since Sonic the Hedgehog, and it really needs to go away now.  Especially since a player can be doing any number of things that don't involve running around like a moron.

Max Payne 3 has a far worse problem where either the person you're with or Max himself will harp on you to move on to the next area if you're taking your time. You know, to look for painkillers and weapons and those stupid golden gun parts. Just shut up, goddamnit! I just want to explore your finely made levels in peace! Why even put that much effort into making a believable, organic space if I'm just going to be herded through it?!
The captain of the gravy train!

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: May 26, 2012, 08:48:36 AM »

I like when your 2d platformer's sprite has fun idle animations, but I fucking loved how you would actually just get conversations between the prince and elika all the time in the 2008 prince of persia. Games should be better at seamlessly interweaving character development and gameplay.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #595 on: May 26, 2012, 10:30:14 PM »

Yeah, there are times when it's fun.  I particularly liked Earthworm Jim's idle animations.

But I think it DOES say something that the best example I can think of is around 20 years old.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: May 27, 2012, 08:50:36 AM »

Persona 3 and 4 have unoffensive idle animations.  The former's idle protagonist actually has two running animations, one with his arms swinging, and if you leave him idle, he puts his hands in to his pockets, and thereafter, he'll run with his hands in his pockets.  Persona 4's MC pops his neck, and sometimes stretches his arms over his head.

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 27, 2012, 09:32:25 AM »

I've never played Persona or watched someone else play it but someone running with his hands in his pockets makes me think of Ed's running cycles in Ed, Edd, and Eddy. I don't even know if Ed's hands were in his pockets when he ran in that series.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: June 07, 2012, 08:00:47 AM »

Okay, this needs to be said: wall jumping in side-scrolling platformers needs to stop. Just stop it.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: June 07, 2012, 08:10:40 AM »

Nah.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 37