Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Explain Your Name  (Read 7783 times)

Kashan

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Explain Your Name
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2009, 09:24:23 AM »

There was some anime I saw back in the day where a computer character repeatedly mispronounced caution as ka-shan, so that's what I went with.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2009, 09:50:24 AM »

In pre-Internet days it was just Jonny, short for Jonathan. I later added the fictional surname Digital, after "Digital Defiance", a name change for the Amiga software group of mine that never got off the ground. That in turn was named for the "digital convergence" technology fad that was popularly discussed in Amiga magazines but never really happened, and largely meant "a computer in every refridgerator".

When I first joined IRC I removed the space from the nick, but the network at the time shortened it to "jonnydigi", which I abbreviated to JDigital, and people abbreviate to JD.

Almost everyone now calls me "JD" in real life, now, as I once joined a D&D group that already had a Jonny, and as he had seniority we settled on calling me JD. Even my family call me JD now.

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2009, 11:10:27 AM »

BATTLE HARD AND LIVE SO YOU CAN CONTINUE BATTLING

One day maybe I'll get bored of this and change back to good ol' Burrito Al Pastor, because I really love those goddamned things.
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2009, 12:09:42 PM »

I've always put ZED as my arcade initials as a kid, mostly because it seemed more memorable than FRP or whatever else I could put in there. Then I got a NES and played Zelda and Dragon Warrior, and was amazed by the 8-character limit on names, but my name is François and there was no ç to be found. I wanted to go back to Zed but felt that not using all eight characters was a waste. I used "Master Z" for a while, then "ZedPower".

That said, when I got on the Internet, I first used Zed_the_Great_One, but eventually I got sick of how long it was and, to be honest, I loathe seeing underscores replacing spaces; it bugs me on an aesthetic level. So I went back to ZedPower.

Every now and then I've flirted with the idea of just using my real name, but, well... I don't mind being (one of the) the foreign kid(s), but I don't want my ethnicity to color the first impressions of people I interact with either. For good or for ill. Ehhh, I know I'm probably worried for nothing. That's why I'm still thinking about it. It'd mostly be about fighting the inertia now.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2009, 12:56:23 PM »

Back when Sharkey's website still made me pee myself laughing I emailed him about the Commodore 64 article about Goonies, which I'd played and hated, and passingly asked what the shit #finalfight was. I had no idea what a chatroom was at the time, and he unhelpfully told me, "Oh, it's on the esper.net server."

Five hours of intense computer-illiterate research later I was in #finalfight as Ender. I later changed it to Third (in honor of Ender but less pretentiously so) and finally Guildenstern (From the greek: Guilded and the Howard: Stern) when Rosen joined #ff.

Throughout I trolled until one day Cait permabanned me. Now I miss Vance.

Aintaer

• My hubris!
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2009, 01:23:31 PM »

Aintaer is an entirely unique creation following several rules I had arbitrarily set.

It must start with A, same as Alex, which is the Western name I chose when I emigrated at the age of 8.
It must include a portion of my old nick, which used to be internutt, back when I thought that was supercool.
It must violate rules of English pronounceability, either with lots of consonants (e.g. Nrvnqsr Chaos) or lots of vowels (e.g. oiseaux).

I chose vowels for anagram potential; plus, English diphthongs are extremely ambiguously defined. The ai diphthong can be pronounced as long A (pain), long I (baibai, Zaire), or short e (lair).  Ae could be long A (aether), long E (Caesar), short e (aesthetic).  In the end, there is no right or wrong way to pronounce Aintaer.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2009, 01:42:18 PM »

It's a shortened version of my surname, which, as my clutchcard indicates, people have difficulty pronouncing. It had made me the brunt of many immature monikers. One example would be "huge-ass."

...I probably shouldn't be telling the internet this, but anyway.

So the least offensive nickname I had throughout High School was "Buge." I tossed on an umlaut because... well I don't know. Probably that scene from This is Spinal Tap. I mean, how many people can say they've got a smiley face in their user name?

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2009, 02:38:51 PM »

Aintaer, you are brilliant for choosing a name intentionally open to pronounciation interpretation. There's nothing funnier than people arguing about how to say something. I pronounce it, "AYN-teer," for the record.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2009, 03:01:37 PM »

Saa-bihn

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2009, 03:03:35 PM »

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2009, 03:27:57 PM »

Air ith

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2009, 03:47:08 PM »

In the end, there is no right or wrong way to pronounce Aintaer.

I've always liked thought of it as either, "Ain't air," or "Ayn ti-air"--that "ti" bit with an almost "ch" sound to it and sort of a tonal drop there too, I can't really accurately describe it any better than that without studying phonetics.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2009, 04:07:22 PM »

The origins of Rygaron are boring.
Back when Everquest was new and super-fresh, I actually played two characters to a decent level and didn't want to just delete either and restart, which I always just did, so I decided to make a third. This was the first time I ever made a third character in anything and couldn't think of a name, so I kept pressing the "random name button" until I got "Rygarath". Noticing the Rygar NES game in the reference in the beginning of it I wanted to keep it but though it was a little... off. I deleted everything but the Rygar suffix, and decided even just that was still... off. I thought for another minute before deciding "Fuck it, I don't want it to be off so I'll make it on, Rygaron. Even then it sounded funny, but I had just spent two hours at name creation and wanted to play my damn Necromancer.

Occasionally after Rygaron's original creation I would use "Outlaw Hunter" because Outlaw Star was the total shit and I loved it but thought if I lived in that universe where everyone called themselves an Outlaw I'd be much better off just killing them for a living.

My very first was "BelthasarBelief" because that was my favorite line in a videogame at the time and I was not subtle in displaying that in my name... I was like six, shut up.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2009, 04:08:07 PM »

you people put way too much thought into how to pronounce chinaman.

then again people who call me "nickoo" on xbla or steam tend to induce violent rage, so.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

The Artist Formerly Known As Yoji

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2009, 04:29:19 PM »

I think this name is starting to show it's age. I say that because I've used it since high school, which probably means it came around during my "JAPAN IS STILL TOTALLY AWESOME" phase. I'd like to think I was trying to think of something less weaboo, but I don't give teenage me that much credit.

I like the sound of Armored Bore, but even that's pretty nerdy. Seems more like Angryoptimist's thing, anyway.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2009, 04:39:20 PM »

I like the sound of Armored Bore, but even that's pretty nerdy. Seems more like Angryoptimist's thing, anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0PIdWdw15U
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2009, 04:40:09 PM »

Actually, the funny thing is that on no less than three different messageboards my screen name was forcibly changed to 'Killjoy' by the admins.

Granted, there was cross-traffic between all three boards, but still.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2009, 04:57:28 PM »

I got my name from a Tolkien MUSH i was in back when i got on the internet for the first time ever. I am the worst.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2009, 05:23:49 PM »

The worst of the Worst!

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2009, 06:27:22 PM »

Actually, the funny thing is that on no less than three different messageboards my screen name was forcibly changed to 'Killjoy' by the admins.
nice, i love styx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5