Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50

Author Topic: It's the economy, stupid!  (Read 69099 times)

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: It's the economy, stupid!
« Reply #920 on: January 17, 2013, 05:33:23 PM »

Ooh, is it that the only family not to see a tax increase is the black couple?
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: January 18, 2013, 04:07:42 PM »

Should be noted that my take-home pay has actually increased slightly, and I'm still in the 5-digit range.  So unless there have been massive cuts to education and homeowner deductions (like the ones in the Ryan Plan), my tax burden is a couple hundred dollars less.  I'll probably use that on windows or a patio garden or, you know, something that increases the neighborhood property value.

Feel free to explain to me why you're more deserving of this than I am, Pictures of Sad Rich People.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: January 18, 2013, 05:24:30 PM »

What really gets me is, you could keep jacking up the taxes on the family making $680k a year and it'd be awhile before they could no longer sustain 6 people.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: January 21, 2013, 09:08:14 AM »

The Swiss turn on the super-rich

Not a bad little piece.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: January 21, 2013, 11:15:23 AM »

The Debt Limit Explained

This... really does actually do a pretty good job of explaining the debt ceiling, and why the Republicans are vile shit mongers. Well, in regards to economics, not just in general.

I mean, they're vile shit mongers in general, too.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: January 22, 2013, 01:31:51 PM »

Some of you may have heard the hilarous saga of Gerard Depardieu fleeing to Russia to avoid French taxes. Well, the latest silly rumours have tagged no less of a person than former President Sarkoczy as running away to England to avoid French taxes.

The Sarko story is hilarious. If the rich want to make themselves into absurd laughingstocks who constantly flee like deadbeats pulling a midnight move, never to return to their land of birth, I am pretty okay with this whole "Make the Rich go elsewhere" thing.

In fact, watching the rich constantly scurry like cockroaches seeking the darkest corners might do more to discredit Ayn Rand than any reasoned argument or economic fact ever could.

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: January 22, 2013, 01:55:27 PM »

Wasn't Ayn Rand's works all about rich people fleeing? What discredits Rand isn't that rich people move, it's that life goes on without them.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: January 22, 2013, 02:17:24 PM »

Yes, but Rand's rich people always "flee" in a bold, triumphant way. The reality is so ignominious as to be laughable.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: January 22, 2013, 02:18:48 PM »

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: January 22, 2013, 03:28:42 PM »

Oh, to the Japanese, not to the tax evaders.  Pity.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: January 23, 2013, 11:47:17 AM »

Australia's proven oil reserves may have just doubled in size with a single find

(Existing Aussie reserves are about 4 billion barrels, so not quite, but close). 

To put this in perspective, Venezuela (the country with the world's largest proven reserves) has over 200 billion barrels of proven reserves, with Saudi Arabia very close behind. So this is not some some kind of polar axis inversion for oil production or geopolitics. But it's interesting all the same, potentially moving yet another Western nation from the "importer" category to the "supplier" category.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: January 29, 2013, 02:34:45 PM »

A proposal to bring back perpetual bonds

I like that the argument isn't so much an economic one, as it is an argument on how to get Congress to outthink itself.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #933 on: February 13, 2013, 09:29:29 PM »

Edmund Saez via Doctorow: top 1% has gotten 121% of the gains in the "economic recovery"; the remaining 99% is actually poorer than before 2009.

In short form, income to the top 1% is significantly influenced by capital gains. Remember, the tax reporting is not clean here: rising equity and bond markets help all those private equity and hedge fund professionals, who are able to get capital gains treatment for what ought to be labor income. But the paper also stresses that the lower orders were hit hard in the aftermath of the global financial crisis than in the dot-bomb era, which also saw a big drop in capital gains. That isn’t as hard to understand. The collapse of the dot-com mania didn’t impair the real economy overmuch because it was not fueled in a meaningful way by borrowings. By contrast, the housing bubble, and more important (in terms of damage to the financial system) the much housing exposure created synthetically by CDOs that consisted entirely or mainly of credit default swaps was highly geared, hence when it collapsed, it took credit providers down with it.

This will probably not come as a surprise to most of you.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: March 01, 2013, 12:48:23 PM »

SCOTUS just gave white collar fraudsters a damn good escape hatch

I know that's not the intention of the ruling, but damned if that won't be the effect.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: March 01, 2013, 03:22:56 PM »

Well, from the SEC only.  I think the reasoning, which is sound enough, is that if regulators aren't moving on something until 5 years after the fact, they're either not doing their jobs or in on it themselves somehow.

I think the reasoning is to hold the SEC more accountable for its recent pattern of total fuckups than to protect criminals.  What actually will happen in practice is... well, whatever looks best on the bottom line of Mitt Romney's balance sheet, I imagine.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: March 05, 2013, 10:37:47 AM »

So hey I guess stocks are at an all-time high, one day after the sequester goes into effect.  Good to know we're all sharing the burden here.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: March 05, 2013, 01:09:45 PM »

well, whatever looks best on the bottom line of Mitt Romney's balance sheet, I imagine.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: March 16, 2013, 10:15:40 AM »

Over in cyprus, an otherwise unnoticed bank bailout may herald the return of runs on banks.

Welp. Maybe this won't go any further than Cypriots getting bumfucked. But if this kind of stuff spreads, we're going to learn remember the hard way why governments started insuring bank deposits.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: March 25, 2013, 07:58:08 AM »

Krugman obliquely argues for the idea of Search Engines as a public utility

He's just musing though and not actively pushing anything, but it's one of his more interesting columns.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50