Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22

Author Topic: I Don't Do Windows  (Read 47770 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: I Don't Do Windows
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2008, 11:24:34 PM »

Brad just got an OEM copy of Ultimate for $150.  Not sure where, but NewEgg's got it for $180 at the moment.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2008, 05:53:08 PM »

Did battle with KDE 4.1 again today.  And lost.

There have been some concessions to the people who want it to look and feel more like KDE 3 -- the title bar of the active window is still gray, f'rinstance, but now it has colored stripes -- but the goddamn launcher still sorts programs by their description instead of their name, and doesn't seem to have any way to change that (other than wiping the "description" field for every single program).  There IS a simple way to swap it out for an oldschool-style launch menu, but while that can let you view programs by name, it still SORTS them by description.  (Also, switching launchers hilariously removes the Alt-F1 keyboard shortcut.  Which is now no longer located in KDE settings, and requires hacking a config file to set.  Also, hacking the config file doesn't actually seem to work very well.)

There's also no "show desktop" shortcut anymore.  You can get a widget to do this, and (hypothetically) set it to a keystroke by hacking a config file, but the widget is a hack: all it does is minimize all programs.  So it's a one-way deal; you can't, say, hit Start-D to show the desktop, do whatever the hell it was you wanted to do on the desktop, and then hit Start-D again to go back to what you were doing.

Also, I couldn't find a way to alt-tab to programs on other desktops.  But it might be there; it's just that I said "fuck this" and quit looking after wrestling with the goddamn launcher for about three hours.

All in all, I think I now understand how my grandparents feel when using their computers.  I spent the afternoon incredibly frustrated with a desktop that wouldn't do what I wanted it to do even though there should be an obvious, simple, straightforward way of getting it to do it.

In a nutshell: KDE 4.1's getting there, and there are FEWER deal-breakers to its basic interface than there were in the beta, let alone 4.0, but by definition one deal-breaker is too many.  Maybe they'll get it right in 4.2.  And if they don't, people should start seriously considering a fork.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I'm almost certain that the review I read that convinced me 4.1 might be ready for prime time is from the same site that convinced me back in '04 that ATI's Linux drivers were in good working order.  So at least this time I only wasted my afternoon, not $230.

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2008, 08:55:30 PM »

I have had an Eee for two weeks and was just able to make it dual boot xandros advanced mode and xubuntu.  I don't see much point of going back to windows from here.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »

...I just discovered that the KDE 4.1 slogan is -- no shit -- Don't Look Back.

Here's an idea: quit making a window manager that's inferior to the previous version and I WON'T.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2008, 04:13:39 PM »

Vista's marketing guys must be feeling like they dropped the ball on that one.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2008, 02:18:17 PM »

...The second Google match for kde-4 launcher sort is now me bitching about it.   ::(:

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2008, 02:27:43 AM »

I could probably use some kind of hard drive analysis tool right about now.  I'm not at the stage where everything's fucked up and I need a recovery tool, but I have a feeling my external HD might be on the way out.  (No, I don't feel like dropping ninety bucks on SpinRite.)

Mumble, mumble...heh.

Quote from: chkdsk antics
chkdsk x:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is [snip].

WARNING!  F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File record segment 26912 is unreadable.
File record segment 26913 is unreadable.
File record segment 26914 is unreadable.
File record segment 26915 is unreadable.
File verification completed.

Errors found.  CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.
chkdsk /f x:
Volume label is [snip].

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Index verification completed.
chkdsk x:
Volume label is [snip].

WARNING!  F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

File record segment 26916 is unreadable.  :ohshi~:
File record segment 26917 is unreadable.
File record segment 26918 is unreadable.
File record segment 26919 is unreadable.

Errors found.  CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.
Looks like that just made any existing problem worse.

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Okay, Firefox (3) sucks.
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2008, 02:09:49 PM »

EDIT: WARNING another FOE has been made while you were typing your reply
One part of making Vista work properly with anything is downloading every single patch they have available.  XP users generally sneer at how Vista needs these patches to work, completely oblivious to how many patches XP needed to become usable.
And so we move from brand loyalty battles to product (or maybe version) loyalty battles.

(There's probably an intermediate step I'm conveniently ignoring.)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2008, 02:12:36 PM »

XP and Vista users have been bickering since Feb. 2007.

For what it's worth, Vista is CONSTANT BLINDING PAIN for me, but I endure it basically out of necessity (if vidjagames were OS-blind then MS probably would have gone under decades ago).

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2008, 02:18:21 PM »

I guess so.

It seems kind of silly for them to bicker when it is and has been (ignoring travesties like WinME) a matter of waiting for the OS to mature (mostly by service packs coming out), for software packages to begin to support the latest version, and for appropriate hardware costs to fall before the most recent Windows flavor becomesapproaches becoming worth adopting.  I've been seeing this shit since ~98 and I'm sure some of you grandpas out there ran into it with different versions of DOS or BBS software or abacuses.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2008, 03:21:05 PM »

(if vidjagames were OS-blind then MS probably would have gone under decades ago).

...are you seriously suggesting that games are the motivating factor for most people's PC purchases?

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2008, 03:55:32 PM »

"A," if not "the."

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2008, 04:08:19 PM »

I don't like mac oses anyway, but I know that videogames are why I've never even considered getting a mac

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2008, 04:12:29 PM »

I love Macs and I'd prefer to work on one in the future.  That's work.  I'd still require a PC for entertainment.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2008, 04:38:19 PM »

We are all nerds here.  Of course we are getting Windows for the games, not because every single retailer preloads Windows onto their PCs.  But we are not most people.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2008, 05:51:12 PM »

Well, one can always run Windows and mac os at the same time if one has the RAM for it.  Which no one does.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2008, 07:17:55 PM »

We are all nerds here.  Of course we are getting Windows for the games, not because every single retailer preloads Windows onto their PCs.  But we are not most people.

Right, exactly.  Unless you're talking about Minesweeper and Solitaire, most people aren't concerned about PC gaming.

Most current PC gamers are into casual games or WoW.  WoW isn't a Windows exclusive, and most casual games are Flash-based and therefore platform-independent.

Guys like us are a minority.

Well, one can always run Windows and mac os at the same time if one has the RAM for it.  Which no one does.

I'm not actually sure what the fuck you're talking about.

If you're referring to dual-booting, I'm running Windows on a Mac right the fuck now.  For gaming.  It works pretty goddamn well.

If you're referring to running Windows inside a virtual machine on the Mac OS (or vice-versa), then no, you won't be able to game that way, but that has fuck-all to do with RAM.

If you're talking about somehow simultaneously booting two different operating systems...well, it's theoretically possible, but would require a pretty fundamental change in how those OS's are designed.

It also has fuck-all to do with RAM.

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2008, 08:38:56 PM »

Quote from: future catloaf
your face has fuck-all to do with RAM

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2008, 10:16:25 PM »

So today my keyboard decided to randomly add extra letters while i was typing.

first it was Es, then Rs then Js.

What the fuck.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2008, 10:36:41 PM »

My laptop has been randomly dropping Es for about a year now.  Except sometimes one keypress will type a bunch of Es.  I ... I don't even know where to start.

Also it can't tell whether or not it's plugged in, and burns full AC power off the battery when it's unplugged and runs out of juice in like 5-10 seconds.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22