Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48

Author Topic: Effects of Mass  (Read 62813 times)

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Effects of Mass
« Reply #840 on: April 05, 2012, 12:44:07 PM »

Ziiro, seems to be you're more upset that everyone is fucked in the end rather than because of plot holes. Complaining that everything is fucked is not really a valid complain the way you've phrased it.

Basically the way you're phrasing it comes out as "I didn't like the ending of cowboy beebop because spike dies."

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: April 05, 2012, 12:51:34 PM »

Fair enough. It's both really. I'm sorry if I give off the idea that the "EVERYTHING IS FUCKED" feeling is the only reason why I'm mad.

Simply: I'm mad because it's all dogshit writing and they're refusing to actually fix it.

Dooly

• Who?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: April 05, 2012, 12:53:53 PM »

I think I've linked this before, but this would explain a lot.

Man, that article names the guy and everything.  He is fiiiiiiiiiiiiired.
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: April 05, 2012, 01:00:27 PM »

Apparently he's going to be on the Bioware panel at Pax, so.

Fate worse than unemployment.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #844 on: April 05, 2012, 01:12:07 PM »

Mass Effect 3 Ending: Tasteful, Understated Nerdrage (SPOILERS)

Preaching to the choir, at this point, but this is the video I've found myself agreeing with the most so far.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: April 05, 2012, 01:36:14 PM »

Half way through it. That video is pretty solid. Explains everything.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: April 05, 2012, 06:09:25 PM »

Apparently he's going to be on the Bioware panel at Pax, so.

Fate worse than unemployment.

I know you're joking but I really hope this isn't what nerds think. Oh no, some angry fatbeards are going to hyperventilate into a microphone as they try to work up the courage to ask a "scathing" question at a convention? People who, by definition, are usually afraid of human interaction and are going to try to be witty and condescending to somebody else on the spot in front of hundreds of their peers? Reminds me of Blizzcon. Or of people who feel sorry for the guys in the Republican Primary, like poor Mitt Romney, getting panned as "awkward" and "robotic" all his life. Yeah, I bet he cries himself to sleep at night on a pile of money.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: April 05, 2012, 06:46:28 PM »

Okay. I have not played any of the Mass Effects. The only thing I know is that your character and choice history carried over between games? I think? (and that it's a space opera RPG that once again puts humans on a pedastal).

But I am now seeing this HUGE GAMER CONTRRRRROOOOVVERSY! everywhere I go - even a couple mainstream newspapers mentioned it.

Can someone give me the Coles' notes version of why a game trilogy ending would induce such incredible rage? Probably should spoiler that shit when you reply (not for my benefit, of course).

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: April 05, 2012, 06:51:42 PM »

No need for spoilers;

Mass Effect allows you, in Mass Effect 1, to chose one of three pre-determined backgrounds for Commander Shepard.  You choose if Shepard is a man or a woman, where they come from in the universe (out of three more choices), and what they look like.  Through a series of dialogue choices you make, you guide Shepard's ideaology between SPACE BADASS and SPACE GOODCOP.  Some of these choices are small, and some of them are impactful up to and including party character deaths.

Mass Effect 2 and 3 allow you to import saved games, retaining your Shepard's backgrounds (which comes up in conversations regarding your history), looks, and prominent choices.  You are also able to romance characters, and since some of these characters return in future installments, you can carry on a lasting relationship with them.

All of this causes the player to form a deep bond with Their Command Shepard, guided by their choices and actions and decisions across three games and five years.

The final twenty minutes of the game are the same for everyone regardless of the choices they have made along the way, save for absolutely minute variations in the ending cinematics which are changed only by flipping one of three switches.  The actions you have made up to this point do not preclude you from flipping any of the switches (though one only appears if you do enough sidequests.)  This lack of acknowledgement and player input after the investment of 30 to 100 hours of gameplay and five years of attachment has lead to an absolutely monumental shitstorm the likes of which has not been seen since the Star Wars prequel trilogy.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: April 05, 2012, 06:54:56 PM »

I should add that there are also genuine narrative problems with the ending as presented, but it's honestly the sense of attachment and illusion of shaping one's own personal character that makes this such a massive goddamn deal to people.  This is why Metal Gear Solid 4 failed to cause the same level of absolute shitstormery, as nobody determined the history or moral choices of Solid Snake outside of choosing to tranq everyone or, failing that, shoot them in the balls for the most hilarious riverwalk since Operation Dumbo Drop.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: April 05, 2012, 06:55:22 PM »

i don't actually know if they walked through a river in operation dumbo drop it just sounded funny when i was writing it

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: April 05, 2012, 07:05:07 PM »

Hey stupid question.

Is the rest of the game fun up to the ending? All this talk and hype has me vaguely interested in seeing the ending and wrapping up my FemShep adventure.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: April 05, 2012, 07:09:06 PM »

Personally, I was pret-ty burned out by the end of ME3 and the wet fart that is the final mission pretty much lives up gameplay wise to the doldrums that the ending gave everyone narrative-wise.  But I also played all three games back to back as the same class in all three, so I think I would be burned out by the end in any measure.  Overall I found ME3 to be a pretty classy game with some pretty major flaws.  Well worth playing, just be braced for a sidequest interface that is actually somehow worse than the first two games combined with a mission structure that perfects the "send just three too many waves of enemies at Shepard each time to keep things exciting" aspirations of the prior games.

On the other hand, Mail Slot is the best achievement.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: April 05, 2012, 07:23:20 PM »

I'd suggest it. Every part until that end point is just golden.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: April 05, 2012, 07:24:18 PM »

I should add that there are also genuine narrative problems with the ending as presented

This statement intrigues me. Care to expand on it? Like, I've heard this "IT'S REALLY BADLY WRITTEN" elsewhere, and I guess that's the second hit in a one-two punch (the first being the total dismissal of your efforts as a player). I'm just wondering how bad these "narrative problems" are. Like are we talking Anakin Skywalker Goes On a Date bad?

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: April 05, 2012, 07:29:09 PM »

I think this might be the explanation you're looking for. SPOILARS though.

Mass Effect 3 Ending: Tasteful, Understated Nerdrage (SPOILERS)

Preaching to the choir, at this point, but this is the video I've found myself agreeing with the most so far.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: April 05, 2012, 07:32:48 PM »

The idea of asking for a coles notes version is that it's easier to read a paragraph (or type a paragraph, even!) than it is to watch a forty-minute video.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: April 05, 2012, 07:33:44 PM »

Skip to 23:00

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: April 05, 2012, 07:37:07 PM »

Sorry. Didn't realize you were asking for a Cole's Notes because you only asked for someone to expand on a sentence.

Apparently [spoiler]the game throws out a plot twist that functionally voids your efforts thus far and completely changes the main conflict of the story. It creates a vague choice and doesn't show the effects of your choice on anything you, as a player, have come to care about in the previous 80+ hours of gameplay.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: April 05, 2012, 08:18:07 PM »

Okay, I can see how that would be a problem.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48