Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 48

Author Topic: Effects of Mass  (Read 62827 times)

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
Re: Effects of Mass
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2009, 08:08:52 AM »

Yeah, I never did understand why everyone was equipped with guns you cannot improve upon.  Get good at sniper rifle and planet-landing encounters can be ended from damn near miles away.  Spontaneous SURPRISE encounters simply mean you need to pull out that pistol and run to cover as you suggested.  If you're in a building you just have to find a choke point because the enemies will simply huddle in cover around it.  Grenades are your friend for flushing them out of cover.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2009, 08:09:42 AM »

Can't recall using cover (doorways excepted) more than thrice throughout the entire playthrough. The Pistol can become that powerful.

What teammates are you using for the majority? On my Infiltrator run, Ashley & Wrex worked as Team FuckShitUp, while Liara & Tali serviced as Team Discovery Channel. Kaiden & Garrus were left on latrine duty, but even then I still handed down weaponry to them (after the others) before selling off the scrap.

The inventory system also reaches a limit at 150, so beware. Nothing worse than being on an inescapable mission, only to reach the limit, forcing you to gel some hearty resales.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2009, 08:11:07 AM »

I did enjoy the fact that the game warns you with a big dialog that you are running out of inventory space, not that 'you have no more inventory space, what do you want to scrap RIGHT NOW?'
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2009, 08:13:46 AM »

The limit itself is absurd, random, and artificial. With correct management, it'll never occur anyways, so why place the damned abomination there in the first place?

McFrugal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2009, 08:24:54 AM »

To encourage correct management?

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2009, 08:41:22 AM »

Because someone decided carrying 151 guns was just absurd.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2009, 09:48:11 AM »

I'm maxing all the Electronics/Decryption stuff on myself, so I have Garrus and Wrex for Team Alien Buddy Movie.

On one of many elevators in the distant future...

Wrex: Hey Garrus, who do y'think would win in a fight between you and Shephard?

Garrus:  :gasp:

Wrex:  :whoops:

The idea is that they take all the hits while I snipe shit. This is the only way I eventually defeated [spoiler]Krogar the Destroyer on Tairi Mission.[/spoiler]

:HUGE: WREX IS THE BEST CHARACTER AND ON THIS ONE ISSUE THERE CAN BE NO COMPROMISE

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2009, 09:48:58 AM »

Wrex is just a Thraddash with a name.
...but is it art?

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2009, 09:49:53 AM »

:perfect:

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2009, 09:51:02 AM »

Now, see, if Mass Effect had Fwiffo....
...but is it art?

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2009, 09:56:11 AM »

Wrex really /really/ likes you if you play Renegade.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2009, 09:58:36 AM »

[spoiler]I did shoot that gang-leader fucker in the face as soon as I was offered the choice.[/spoiler]

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2009, 09:59:27 AM »

Tali & Wrex were my original line-up until I finished maxing my sniper and could refocus on hacking and unlocking skills myself. Tali went back to her hole and Garrus came to carry our shit while Wrex and I killed everything ever.

I ran a planet once with Tali and Garrus where I ran out of grenades and had to send them in to lure guys out for me to pot-shot. Basically they would pull out two of three guys from every small section of each room we took on and then die, leaving me to hunt down the last guy with my pistol before they would revive and we could move on.

I ran several missions where Wrex and 'X' were with me and I ran out of grenades. When I sent them in as decoys, Wrex would kill everyone before they would cross into my line-of-sight.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2009, 10:08:25 AM »

:HUGE: WREX IS THE BEST CHARACTER AND ON THIS ONE ISSUE THERE CAN BE NO COMPROMISE

This is very true. Very, very true.

I'm holding off on Mass Effect for now. I've had two and half Renegade playthroughs with Nephele the Vanguard and Juno the Infiltrator and my every attempt at a Paragon run with Molly the Adept has been less than successful. That's why I'm waiting for the new DLC to come out before trying again.

Alex

• the Slug
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2009, 12:10:14 PM »

My first (and second and half of a third...Extreme Power Gamer!) times through the game, I started out as a Soldier and pimped around with Liara and Tali in my party because salvage and decryption were like things of wonder then because I felt bad leaving Liara hanging after she spent an extended amount of time in the captain's quarters while Tali's voice was just too damn alluring to ever part with.

Then I played a Vanguard and cackled with glee as I locked up enemy weapons like malevolent computer who'd just been given a recall order on everything in the universe.  Wrex and Kaiden seemed like they were only there to watch the show.

I've got an Infiltrator and Biotic sitting around waiting to take an adventure through the universe now when I can be assed to play again.

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2009, 12:17:25 PM »

The only thing I really remember about Mass Effect is how natural it felt to lie about believing in God in order to get laid.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2009, 12:27:40 PM »

Funny, I remember the horrible reality of being honest with everyone and ending up stuck with the weird looking girl that no one else would talk to.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2009, 01:36:23 PM »

... which one?

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2009, 03:06:28 PM »

To encourage correct management?

here's the trouble with this logic.

they literally throw guns at you no matter where you are or what you do.  if you kill something, you get guns, if you open a locker you get guns... you're basically one enormous magnet to which every weapon in the universe is attracted.

they make you scroll through a hideously slow interface to scrap things that you don't want anymore, and then every time you scrap something, it puts you back at the top of what can get to be a very long list.

eventually I just stopped doing sidequests or opening lockers.  my gun was fine and i didn't want more shit.

Fredward

• a romantic soul
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2009, 03:28:56 PM »

I maxed out my money in my first playthrough of Mass Effect.  :nyoro~n:
Quote from: Brentai
It's never easy to tell just where the line is between physical malady and the general crushing horror of life itself.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 48