Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

W+M1?

Y
- 19 (51.4%)
B
- 18 (48.6%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: MMPHMMPH  (Read 24062 times)

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: W+M1
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2009, 06:01:10 AM »

SUPER SPOILERS: the greatest pyros use the poofer and the axecutioner. If you shoot a heavy up after igniting him, you can axe him before he can shoot you unless he is himself one of the greatest heavies.

This counters the usual difficulty of axecuting a heavy, that he can withstand two blows of the great blade and that's enough time for him to point-blank minigun you.

Lady Duke

• Shiny Ranger
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2009, 06:14:24 AM »

It's axtinguisher.  Jerkface.  And guess what?  I don't have to employ the "greatest" pyro strategy to have a good time.  I just have a good time setting things on fire and it doesn't matter which god damn flamethrower I use to do the job and enjoy myself.

King Klown

• Honk Honk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2009, 06:44:55 AM »

Little did Wiseman know that his innocuous comment would start a passive-aggressive/aggressive-aggressive debate about similar but different weapons for a game.

:facepalm:

Things on fire is fun times!  I hit things on fire to make them are dead faster!  :8D:

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2009, 08:02:14 AM »

I've actually switched to the Backburner recently because I haven't really had a lot of luck with the poofer lately* and I keep getting into Pyrofights, so I figured I'd try it for a while.

It certainly does not entirely gimp my style.  So you think that makes me a lesser Pyro?
:fuckyou:

* Actually I mastered the fuck out of the uber juggle but then I got tired of constantly having to stop ubers for my team, so it's Personal Glory Pyro until I have a change of heart.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2009, 08:07:45 AM »

I just like playing ambush pyro.

It's like my personal version of spy.

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2009, 08:14:27 AM »

I do not use the Hurrburner for at least 3 reasons.
1. Most of my ambushes do not come from directly behind people
2. The Crit window is weird and i cant be assed to learn it
3. NO FUCKING POOFER

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2009, 08:26:29 AM »

Stop acting like you're fucking amazing.  It's unbecoming.

If I were that shirt I'd be uncoming on you, too.

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2009, 08:28:45 AM »

My only problems with the backburner are that it gives slight incentives to play in a less skilled manner.  As I may've said before, I know I've said it verbally to Saturn several times at least, I would just LOVE it if they modified the backburner to have a backburn rather than a crit at back.  What I mean by "back-burn" is, a pyro backstab.  It wouldn't be a insta-kill, but it would be a quick 85-100 damage based on distance that would take 20 ammo or so and only work if not already firing.  Possibly it could also require the use of m2, knock the enemy forward (for their sake), or not ignite them.

I would have absolutely no complaints, and I don't think most others would, about the backburner if they did this.

EDIT:  If they did this they would also undoubtedly make another kill image.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »

You know what the worst part about the backburner is?  The actual area where you can crit is tiny.  It's harder to crit with the backburner that it is to backstab somebody you're circle strafing.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2009, 08:33:09 AM »

I use the standard flamethrower because I love to blow people off the deadly ledges in Steel and Lumberyard. I use the standard fire axe because I haven't unlocked it yet didn't notice I had unlocked it, but also because I'm not coordinated enough to switch between more than two weapons.
...but is it art?

Lady Duke

• Shiny Ranger
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2009, 08:34:59 AM »

Okay, I'll just say it.  I really only love the backburner because of the little teethy face on it.  It's adorable and I love it.  It could work terribly and I'd still use it.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2009, 08:46:10 AM »

There's really no very good reason to even have the regular fire axe.  When are you going to use it?

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2009, 08:52:36 AM »

Pyro fights, I guess.
...but is it art?

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2009, 09:35:13 AM »

effective use of the axecutioner is equal or better to the backburner
people who love ambushing groups
These two things do not add up.

Simply, if you are on defense and even passably good at flanking, you will be more effective as a Pyro with the backburner, as you will have several opportunities to ambush entire groups and will disrupt their push far better than the single (s)kill (HAHAHA) you would get with the axe before they'd all turn around and ruin your shit would ever do.

King Klown

• Honk Honk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2009, 11:22:42 AM »

Simply, if you are on defense and even passably good at flanking, you will be more effective as a Pyro with the backburner, as you will have several opportunities to ambush entire groups and will disrupt their push far better than the single (s)kill (HAHAHA) you would get with the axe before they'd all turn around and ruin your shit would ever do.

But wouldn't the compression blast be just as useful for defense, if not more so, in stopping ubers and the other miscellaneous tricks it provides? Several other people have already said the crit. window for the Backburner is pretty small and wonky anyways.

Actually, that's proactive defense versus reactive defense. Excuse me.

And other maps you just can't flank well, even on defense.

Upon hearing more about the Backburner from you all, I'd say the Axetinquisher isn't meant to replace a good backburner user. Its a 'I've just caught a Medic and Heavy and killing them both very quickly and embarrassingly' kinda of weapon.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2009, 12:04:51 PM »

The Axetinguisher is more like the knife than the Backburner is, really, being more for selectively taking out key targets than for killing everything you see with it.

The Backburner on the other hand has the potential to reduce an unaware enemy line to gibs fast enough to even make a Demoman cry.

Backburner then is really good on defense where people are going to be naturally clustered around the cart/point/forward base.  You lose the ability to effectively paralyze incoming ubers, but if ubers are incoming it means you haven't been doing your job in the first place anyway.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2009, 12:21:13 PM »

There are often enough paths in a map that I can get behind people fairly easily.  Being a RED backburner pyro on a payload map is a freaking blast.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2009, 12:33:59 PM »

According to TF2 Wiki, the Axtinguisher deals 195 damage per hit to a burning opponent, enough to kill all but a Heavy or burning-proofed Pyro in one hit.

Problem is, people tend to notice when you set them on fire. Having lost the element of surprise, you need to switch weapons and close to melee. You'll need to switch back to another weapon real quick to set his buddy on fire.

The Backburner has an added advantage, in that the back is where you want to be anyway. It's the part of the enemy that doesn't have bullets coming out. Plus, if you move around someone he has to divert his attention away from your allies to protect his back from you.

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2009, 12:36:58 PM »

Backburner then is really good on defense where people are going to be naturally clustered around the cart/point/forward base. 
poofer knocks that same group off of the cart healbeam, disorients and fries them nearly as fast and from any angle.
the sooner the cart stops moving the better.

but then again i often wait for some fucking backup. (and my critchance is jacked up too)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2009, 12:40:49 PM »

One nice thing is that even if you miss, the victim will then panic and try to circlestrafe you to keep their back away from you.

Granted smart players don't do that, but it's still fun and funny.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13