Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: Game News Dump  (Read 281484 times)

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Game News Dump
« Reply #3000 on: August 10, 2011, 07:05:36 AM »

Quote from: the mother
Regarding "Atari," that name is not in honor of the longtime brand in video gaming. "The name Atari comes from the name Ataru which means 'to hit a target' and the word Atari is used when a prediction has come true or someone has won the lottery. Her first and middle name together mean 'To hit a target, from the lake'. The name is not everyone's cup of tea. We assume that by the time she is in high school, most of the children her age are not going to know what an Atari is, considering a lot of kids while we were in high school had no idea."

Yes, of course a woman who got engaged on stage at QuakeCon and went to E3 when she was due to give birth would name her child "Atari" not in tribute to the gaming console of her youth but as an elaborate pun in a foreign language.

Never mind that, can somebody help me figure out what this strange little animal with the feathers and webbed feet is?  The incessant quacking is driving me crazy.

You know, this is one of those times where the referent events and topic of debate exist entirely outside of objective reality. If you want to say that P. Birdy stands for Peony Birdy instead of Paco Bird, I'd be inclined to give it to you without further comment.

Hey, I just noticed your avatar, Mr. Get-Hit-by-a-Falling-Star

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: August 10, 2011, 08:50:03 AM »

It's a topic close to my licentious heart, after all.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: August 12, 2011, 12:41:35 AM »

Remember Tim Langdell, the guy who owned the trademark 'Edge' and sued anyone who used it in a videogame title?

In October, a court stripped him of his trademarks. As a result, Mobigames' "Edge" is now coming out on Steam. You can follow the entire absurd tale at Rock Paper Shotgun and Chaos Edge.

The abridged full story, for those who missed the start: A guy named Tim Langdell, whose company Edge produced games in the Commodore 64 era, registered the trademark Edge and tried to sue anyone who used it in a videogame context. This went largely unreported until he had an indy game called Edge pulled from the App Store and demanded royalties. He also tried to sue EA for Mirror's Edge, supporting his claim by announcing a fake game called Mirrors with box art stolen from a guy on Deviantart.

In an uncharacteristic move of EA looking out for the little guy, they sued (successfully, we now know) to have the 'Edge' trademark revoked, as his company hadn't actually released a game since the early 90s. He attempted to counter this by announcing fake games. A judge discovered that Langdell had photoshopped images in his trademark application to give the impression that he produced both Edge magazine and Marvel's comic "Edge".

He was also sued by the publishers of Edge magazine, who had licensed the trademark from Tim Langdell since 1994 and were somewhat miffed that he had been using their magazine's logo as his own without permission. Langdell responded by claiming he invented the logo first, and produced a 5.25" floppy disk with a file dated 1991, which an expert discovered had been created using Windows 95.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: August 12, 2011, 01:44:20 AM »

oh, JD. You really know how to put a smile on my face.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: August 12, 2011, 02:07:25 AM »

Kinda wonder how EDGE controls on a PC.  Mouse gestures?  Because part of the game on iPhone was how you kinda held a swipe early to keep the cube from tipping over, allowing it to balance on its edge (get it), with a window of sensitivity that got smaller the longer you held it.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: August 12, 2011, 06:18:33 AM »

Man, what a douchebag!

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: August 13, 2011, 11:00:02 AM »

Former Rockstar Creative Director chats up new hot-button project: 1979: The Game

An article posted on CNN Thursday provides tantalizing details about a game that is destined to generate a few headlines. 1979: The Game will provide an open-world experience exploring Iran’s Islamic Revolution from the perspective of several playable characters, including an American/Iranian translator and a student demonstrator.

You don't have to be a historian to know this is a project fraught with the prickliest of narrative thorns. Luckily, the game’s creative direction is being handled by a man ideally suited to tell this particular story: Former Rockstar Games developer Navid Khonsari. The Iranian-born game maker actually lived in Iran during the events that the game is set to depict before eventually fleeing to Canada with his family.

"I want people to understand the incredible moral ambiguity of this story, that this was a country with many different ideas and beliefs," said Mr. Khonsari in the CNN piece. "Growing up in Iran when I did, I saw Iranians in the greatest light, and I saw them in the worst light."

Perhaps we shouldn’t be surprised, then, at the game’s tagline: “There are no good guys.”

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: August 15, 2011, 07:13:22 PM »

No Time To Explain is out. There are some rough edges (its spectacularly generous respawning system entirely neuters the boss battles, given that if you die to a moving hazard you respawn instantly in the exact same location, making you effectively invincible), and it looks like lots of people (including me) have run into game-ending bugs, but apparently the devs are working on fixing it.

Other than that, it is, basically, amazing. I'd tell more, but, you know.

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: August 15, 2011, 10:18:18 PM »

That looks pretty cool.  Think I'll wait for the Steam release, though.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: August 16, 2011, 08:21:25 AM »

That's probably the wiser choice, even if just to give them time to unbreak the thing. If I have it now it's because I was on their kickstarter drive.

Defenestration

• The Sixth Window
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: August 16, 2011, 11:11:10 AM »

I found this trailer showing shots of the DMC reboot in action.

DMC - Gamescom Trailer

If you note, there is only one ground and one air melee combo displayed throughout the trailer with no variation from different angles. Your options to mix it up are apparently "shoot guns." In other words, a by the numbers Ninja Theory game.
So what seems to be the fan reaction?

DEVIL MAY CRY 5 REBOOT: FANS REACTION DANTE DMC TRAILER FUNNY

RIP DMC, even if it gets slogged through another sequel, at the very least it is dead to me.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: August 16, 2011, 11:24:18 AM »

Long live Bayonetta

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: August 16, 2011, 11:50:37 AM »

FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC

Lollipop Chainsaw - Announcement Trailer (PS3, Xbox 360)

I wasn't sold on this one until the bit at the end when the zombie gets sawed in half and bleeds a rainbow.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: August 16, 2011, 11:51:36 AM »

Sega lifting the Goofy Action crown from Capcom's head just makes my brain hurt.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: August 16, 2011, 12:25:50 PM »

that thing

So they've taken the original concept of Buffy The Vampire Slayer and added equal parts Sam Raimi and Lisa Frank.

Eh.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3015 on: August 16, 2011, 12:28:48 PM »

I'm not to fond of "You fat douchebag!" "Take this you ugly fatass!" and her other fun phrases.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: August 16, 2011, 12:42:31 PM »

It would probably be funnier if you weren't so fat. Put down the feed bag, tons of fun.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: August 16, 2011, 12:55:40 PM »

God damnit, I don't want to have anything to do with EA's abominable Origin service but shit like this makes it hard to say no.

Battlefield 3 Caspian Border 64 Multiplayer (HD 1080p)

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: August 16, 2011, 01:50:37 PM »

That trailer was bullshit because there were helicopters and aircraft in the air that weren't crashing and were piloted by competent pilots

actual alpha gameplay my ass

That said: Really, Bal. Do you want to support this? Do you want to give EA money for making you suck exclusive origin dick? Yeah. The video looks great. I kind of want to play it, but my hate for this bullshit is much stronger than my need to play that game.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: August 16, 2011, 02:07:06 PM »

I don't see the problem with offering decent competition to Steam other than the fact that it's EA that's doing it.