Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

IF YOU HAD TO MAKE A CHOICE, which would you want?

Keep the current map, peaceful mode
- 6 (17.6%)
Keep the current map, survival mode
- 5 (14.7%)
Generate a new map, peaceful mode
- 2 (5.9%)
Generate a new map, survival mode
- 21 (61.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 72

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 100857 times)

Defenestration

• The Sixth Window
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2010, 12:29:35 AM »

I've started construction on my own plans as well!

Is there *any* use for gravel whatsoever? It seems to exist simply to annoy the shit out of me while excavating.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Esperath

• chesse nab
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2010, 12:40:04 AM »

It has a chance to drop flint, if you need flint and steel or arrows.

Beyond that, just whack it with a shovel, it's a lot faster than a pickaxe. 

Alternatively, you can dig two under a big Z-stack of gravel, put a torch on that spot, and then dig the block directly above the torch.  All of the gravel will fall down, hit the torch, and break into resources, effectively mining itself.  This is a pretty fast way to mine a big patch of gravel and turn it into an open pit very quickly.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2010, 02:05:44 AM »

I find gravel most useful for striking other pieces of gravel—it's barely slower than a shovel, it's faster than a pickaxe, and unlike your shovel, that piece of gravel you're striking with will never break. On the other hand, a piece of glass or wood or sand or something is just as effective. Sand and gravel are also pretty useful for getting rid of water in enclosed spaces, particularly from above. That's how I made THIS:

This is a glass globe, partially submerged in the ocean near the spawn area. I removed the water from the inside using sand and dirt before digging downward, carving out a spire on which I planted a sapling. Originally, the globe had two entrances: there was a hole in the very top, and a tunnel into the ocean from the bottom; while the top has been sealed, the last gap from the bottom tunnel is the source of the water-fall to the left. After connecting this chamber to the first little space I carved out, Zaratustra turned the waterfall-capture pit into an express elevator (or an inefficient ladder) to the tunnels interconnecting a bunch of peoples' areas.

If you want to check it out, go down the stairs from the spawn area so that you're approaching the Sandy Bottom Bar. If you go past the restroom to the right, there should be a tree growing in the sand: turn 45 degrees and climb up on the sandbar to see the globe. Behind the tree you passed is the entrance to my area.

As proud as I am of my (unfinished) construction, I stumbled onto a project on our server that honestly kind of horrifies me. From the spawn point, it's back and to the left; just off the coast of LEGION. A vast wooden rectangle in the ocean, completely covered in torches—but it's the inside that amazed me. Drop down the shafts in one of the corners to find a fucking enormous room way, way under the earth. Who made this? How did you make it so big? It's absurd!

If you made something, tell me how to get there so I can check it out!
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2010, 02:28:07 AM »

Det, Joxam, Smiler, consider yourselves remerciés amplement as well.

Who made this? How did you make it so big? It's absurd!

That's Parak's. At least a few of us have been helping out the excavation; much of the higher levels of the pyramid comes from that pit. Kind of blew my mind too, to be honest. He says he wants a gigantic upward shaft with a glass roof just under the ocean. Dang, I once thought I had lots of grunt work on my hands.

In other news, I realized that the only thing that really bugs me about this game is that you can't build a mountaintop castle unless said castle is maybe ten blocks high maximum.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2010, 05:22:43 AM »

I made a second castle past the Superfort (from spawn, turn 180, go around the lake and go forward and left until you see a grassy bridge: follow that)

Defenestration

• The Sixth Window
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2010, 07:29:04 AM »

I made a little bit of progress on whatever I'm making last night. I just wish I ran into other people on the server more often! What times are people usually around?

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2010, 07:13:27 PM »

Copying the server address here for convenience:

Joxam.no-ip.org:25565

The server crashed, so the spawn point has moved away from our area. Zaratustra found the way back, though: if you're lost, type /home, turn 45 degrees to the left, and hop across the water. When you hit land again, turn another 45 degrees to the left and follow it in that direction; you might have to cross water once or twice, as long as you keep going in the direction land is moving. Eventually you'll come across one of Zara's castles, and you can follow his road back to civilization proper.

Mostly, don't type /home.

EDIT: aaaaand it's fixed. Nevermind.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2010, 07:14:30 PM »

I fixed the server's spawn point, unfortunately, I had to roll it back to do so.
Sorry if your shit is fucked.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2010, 07:29:35 PM »

I decided that there wasn't going to be a point where I didn't secretly want to buy the damn game, even if it currently means I will only occasionally log in, look around, do nothing and fuck off.  I might as well get it over with.

When I click on the buy link NoScript tells me it blocked a potential XSS attack while redirecting to Paypal.

I am now hesitant again.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2010, 07:35:12 PM »

In the last 24 hours, 52546 people registered, and 23556 people bought the game.

jesus
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2010, 07:55:09 PM »

I fixed the server's spawn point, unfortunately, I had to roll it back to do so.
Sorry if your shit is fucked.

uh you realize you can just change the spawn point in-game if you're an op

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2010, 08:02:48 PM »

Nope. Didn't.

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2010, 08:22:07 PM »

When I click on the buy link NoScript tells me it blocked a potential XSS attack while redirecting to Paypal.

I am now hesitant again.
It's to do with PayPal holding Notch's money hostage. Don't worry about it.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2010, 08:32:10 PM »

It's not so much that I'm worried about it so much as I refuse to turn a blind eye to a developer who's too lazy to implement a PayPal API correctly, but if there's a story behind it I'd love to hear it so I can stop being a petulant bitch for once.

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2010, 08:36:39 PM »

Oh, well, Notch got so much money so fast that PayPal doesn't let him have access to all of it anymore. They are launching an investigation. I think they gave him part of it though, for the time being.

The XSS thing came about after the PayPal thing to the best of my knowledge, and I assumed they were related. Maybe they aren't -- I can't find proof of it now that I check. But I'd say that if 200k people bought the game without an issue, you'll be okay.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2010, 09:28:46 PM »

...okay well someone had better tell him that having an XSS vulnerability on his site isn't going to make an investigation by PayPal go any smoother.

I guess I'll go ahead because my PayPal account really isn't that valuable.  But man, there's gotta be a much better way.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2010, 09:48:04 PM »

I looked into it a bit further as a service (I'm not a security expert but I am a web development tester who's had security training).  Turns out it's... PayPal's fault.  For not upgrading their SSL implementation to a more secure one.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyeah.

Anyway I'll see you guys online.

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 23, 2010, 12:08:08 AM »

Incredible.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 23, 2010, 06:38:55 AM »

I'm really on the fence about this thing.

I love the world-building, a lot, but I wish there was something to do with your glorious creations after you were done. Something like being able to create a sprawling dungeon or beached ship and stuff it with enemies for a group to work through would be great. I guess that would demand a combat system a bit more complex that hitting the mouse button like thirty times (which I don't think is on the menu just yet).

Defenestration

• The Sixth Window
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 23, 2010, 08:44:56 AM »

I'm really on the fence about this thing.

I love the world-building, a lot, but I wish there was something to do with your glorious creations after you were done. Something like being able to create a sprawling dungeon or beached ship and stuff it with enemies for a group to work through would be great. I guess that would demand a combat system a bit more complex that hitting the mouse button like thirty times (which I don't think is on the menu just yet).
Keep in mind, this is still not even in Beta. One of the modes Notch is going to add later on is an "adventuring" type thing where you can't dig normally, and the plan is to go and fight monsters in pre-generated dungeons. There's also going to be elements of that sneaking into the core game; Some of the randomly generated things in the world that are being looked at for the far future are dragon guarded hordes, villages populated by goblins, and abandoned towers and mines.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 72