Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 173

Author Topic: Shit Days  (Read 215711 times)

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Shit Days
« Reply #1440 on: August 12, 2010, 10:05:34 PM »

Tires and breakdowns can be a real bitch, lemmetellya. My van runs but I'm pretty sure I should stop driving it before something vital breaks worse than it is.

Still less bad than potential cancer.   

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: August 13, 2010, 02:35:48 AM »

I drove her to the vet today so they could do more tests and keep her overnight.

The look on a pet's face when you leave them with the vet, that scientifically-perfect "Why are you doing this why won't you come save me from these strange people you horrible person needs to be fucking weaponized, because god damn.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: August 13, 2010, 04:43:48 AM »

Still less bad than potential cancer.   

Well, potential is the key word - there's nothing going pear-shaped yet. I felt like I was fishing for sympathy by even posting that, but it's the truth I suppose. Plus I've known about it for a while now. It's just now I know how long treatment will run (for like three months, gah, going to have fun asking for so many afternoons off with work the way it is now).

And my track record for having a minor positive to offset the negative also continued. My glasses frames had a big crack in 'em and I thought I'd have to pay upwards of $500 to get new pairs, but I found a really awesome repair guy, a jeweler who fixes glasses on the side, who also turned out to have a really cool workshop hidden in an elite downtown high-security building, was incredibly cheap, was having a discount on frame repairs in August (I shit you not), and also turned out to be distantly familiar with my Mom's extended family.

I guess that last part belongs more in the Good Times thread.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: August 13, 2010, 08:43:12 AM »

I missed my train but not because of something I did. Missed it by less than a minute. now I am stuck in Chicago and had to call in to work. Oh joy.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: August 13, 2010, 12:32:43 PM »

Go hang out with Classic.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: August 13, 2010, 02:20:54 PM »

Sorry dude, I am fucking in Urbana now. Otherwise I'd haul your ass where you needed to be for a small (and probably deferrable) fee.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: August 14, 2010, 09:58:33 AM »

I think one of the wheels on my van is bent out of shape. If I had any chances of scrapping it and starting over with another cheap used vehicle, I would, but rent is due tomorrow and I'm already $150 short of that.

Maybe I should just start cycling everywhere.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: August 14, 2010, 10:36:01 AM »

Back home a few hours behind schedule and then I looked.
John Campbell is in Chicago doing an art show.
How... fun.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: August 14, 2010, 10:54:51 AM »

Maybe I should just start cycling everywhere.

Even if you hate exercise and aren't a hippie, you gotta admit it saves on gas & insurance.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: August 14, 2010, 01:11:40 PM »

At only a minor risk of getting run down by an inattentive driver or my bad knee giving out entirely!

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: August 14, 2010, 04:00:26 PM »

Man dude, I guess you wouldn't be a so derpressed if you weren't looking for the tarnish-lining to every silver bar, would you?

Bad knees though, those are bad news. I'm guessing this isn't the kind of bad knee that regular (gentle) exercise can "make less bad" eh?

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: August 14, 2010, 06:47:13 PM »

I don't have to look for complications. They find me well enough as it is.

BEHOLD

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • The Six Demon Bag
« Reply #1452 on: August 14, 2010, 10:05:01 PM »

Total bonehead maneuver. I downloaded a suspect file without bothering to check whether my antivirus software was running: it wasn't, and the file had all kinds of nastiness attached. Rootkits and trojans and malware galore; browser-based search like Chrome's search box is all hijacked, and this shit seems to have gotten into Avast, because it's refusing to scan properly. I'm running Trend Micro HouseCall right now, and some Security Suite bullshit that appears to be party of the welcoming party I downloaded initially has popped up in response to helpfully scan in parallel. I stopped that, but it's hijacking Task Manager and is popping up all sorts of helpful virus alerts and offering to block attacks for me.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: August 15, 2010, 05:13:54 AM »

Heh, classic Egg Shen!

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: August 15, 2010, 05:33:14 AM »

Total bonehead maneuver. I downloaded a suspect file without bothering to check whether my antivirus software was running: it wasn't, and the file had all kinds of nastiness attached. Rootkits and trojans and malware galore; browser-based search like Chrome's search box is all hijacked, and this shit seems to have gotten into Avast, because it's refusing to scan properly. I'm running Trend Micro HouseCall right now, and some Security Suite bullshit that appears to be party of the welcoming party I downloaded initially has popped up in response to helpfully scan in parallel. I stopped that, but it's hijacking Task Manager and is popping up all sorts of helpful virus alerts and offering to block attacks for me.

Let me level with you:

Just reformat. You'll get over the lost data, and nine times out of ten, it's not worth the fucking effort to try to save your computer.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: August 15, 2010, 06:15:36 AM »

Personally, I know I wouldn't get over the lost data, because in my case, I have over a decade's worth of files.

But then, that's why I do a total back up of all my shit every couple of months. Obviously it's a little late for that this time, but if you do care deeply for your stuff (if you don't, Shinra's suggestion is A-list), it's something to look at after this all shakes down.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: August 15, 2010, 07:09:58 AM »

My usual technique is to take the hard drive out, mount it in an external drive enclosure (don't let the PC boot from it) and run the virus-scan from another computer. If the system is too badly compromised, do a fresh install on a new hard drive and restore important data from the old drive, perhaps abandoning files which may contain a virus (EXE, HTA, etc).

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: August 15, 2010, 07:26:21 AM »

My landlady just called. Apparently having pictures of myself in the Baroness costume was the reason one of my rommmates moved out. She wants me to tone it down.*

*Translator's note: stop being so transgendered. You're scaring the normal kids.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: August 15, 2010, 07:59:36 AM »

That's uh.... possible grounds for a discrimination suit?

Not that I think you should go all legal-eagle on her. Most people hate those types even when they're 100% right.

But you SHOULD document stuff just in case she tries to throw you out or starts harassing you about it.

You should also try to be up-front about things with any future roommates. Well, unless she deliberately lets the vacant rooms to JOCKO types just to 'hint' you should move out. In which case, see previous point.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: August 15, 2010, 08:18:16 AM »

Solve two problems at once: Take teg as a roommate.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 173