Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 ... 173

Author Topic: Shit Days  (Read 215708 times)

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Shit Days
« Reply #1820 on: December 23, 2010, 11:08:37 PM »

I deal with holiday family gatherings by not going. Oh, my mother will try to guilt-trip me, but she and my brother will spend five hours in the car and nine hours with condescending hypocrites who are incapable of true respect, and I'm going to stay home, eat leftover boeuf bourguignon, make minty coconut chocolate candy, eat said candy, and enjoy several hours of delighfully uninterrupted writing time. God bless Christmas day!

I know this sort of thing really isn't an option for most people, but still... In the few years since I've decided I couldn't be assed with the whole rigamarole, I've noticed a sizable decrease in total personal misery for December. It ain't National Feel Wretched In The Company Of People You're Embarrassed To Be Related To Day, after all. Or if it is, it sure as hell shouldn't be.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: December 26, 2010, 08:29:19 PM »

So maybe about the fourth or fifth person I personally know has had their door kicked in and their home robbed.

This year.

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: December 27, 2010, 01:23:01 AM »

I span my car off the road today, I underestimated a corner, went into it a little too fast, because it was so wet, my rear wheels slipped out, and my car span around and went over the bank, through a fence sideways, down a hill and into a sheep paddock. Car's fine, just a bit scratched up and the wheel alignment probably needs fixing.

I felt fine afterwards, I just felt crappy about damaging my mum's car, my dad helped me out, and this nice lady who lived nearby, and i was able to drive it out of the paddock fine. But since I got home, i've just felt like absolute crap, I keep thinking about how if it was only one corner later, I'd have rolled the car down a 400 meter 80 degree hill, and everyone was amazed that I didn't roll the car at all. I could have killed myself, and I feel like a real idiot because of it.

Maybe I just need more sugar or something.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1823 on: December 27, 2010, 02:16:16 AM »

Not a fun experience. This is right, though:

Maybe I just need more sugar
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: December 28, 2010, 02:30:49 PM »

* Büge gives Stush some sugar

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: December 30, 2010, 02:38:18 AM »

Thanks, guys. <3

Things weren't as bad as I thought, I think everything's gonna be alright with that, I probably just need to pay the excess on the insurance.

Work has been going good, i've made heaps of money, and i've gotten lots of sunburn, and today I swam up a river!

But i've been feeling sorta worried, because my dad has taken off somewhere, and I'm worried he's gonna get himself in trouble or something, he does that kinda stuff all the time, he has a bit of a temper and doesn't really let things go, I just hope he's back when I go home and nothing's happened.

But other than that, today's been awesome!

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: January 03, 2011, 11:51:14 AM »

When I packed up an emergency preparedness kit about a year ago, I was expecting something like the tornado that hit Atlanta in 2008, or the flooding in 2009.

I had no idea the emergency I was preparing for would be "You can't afford to eat anymore". So yeah, good thing I had some canned food set aside.

The job/apprenticeship I've been told was mine for the taking has been pushed back again. Originally offered last "September", then "before the end of the year", then "January-ish", now "spring". So I'm back to square one in my job search.

My lease is up in May. If I can't find a very lucrative income by the end of this school quarter -- sufficient to support myself alone, or sufficient to support myself with a roommate assuming I can find a roommate -- I'll have to move back in with family in Nashville. Or live out of my van. Both of those are so unappealing it's actually a toss-up which one I'll do if it comes to that.

tl;dr: business as usual.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: January 04, 2011, 07:32:11 PM »

Further details have developed but thanks to the illness I'm fighting off I'd rather not type all of them out right now.

tl;dr:  :bam:

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: January 05, 2011, 07:49:12 AM »

There was a radiation treatment hiatus last week during the holidays, which the nurses said would be fine. Since a person's tolerance was expected to have been lowered a bit by the gap, they decreased the treatment time (it usually increases incrementally).

Only it wasn't enough and I have a hilarious full-body sunburn. Other than the pain (which isn't too bad, but annoying - especially my armpits), I feel like a bag of heated leather. My face does NOT like moving right now.

Koah

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: January 10, 2011, 11:24:15 AM »

My cat is dead.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: January 10, 2011, 11:30:42 AM »

Well that blows. Sorry to hear that.

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #1831 on: January 14, 2011, 11:14:53 AM »

So it turns out the new smoke alarm that my landlord had someone install goes off any time I use my oven.

After about ten minutes of this, I tore it out of the goddamned ceiling.

Turns out it's wired into place.

So now I've got this going on:

I think I am going to go buy one that works.

...This is actually sort of hilarious.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: January 14, 2011, 11:29:25 AM »

I cut expenses by as much as I conceivably could. I even turned off the heat in the house during the goddamned snowstorm in hopes of shaving a few dollars off the gas bill.

Still short. Not that I'm surprised. :endit:

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: January 14, 2011, 12:25:37 PM »

Week ago: "I should really get a flu shot"
6 days ago "enh i'll do it tomorrow"
5 days ago "weather is too shitty i'll do it tomorrow"
4 days ago : YOU WILL NEVER GUESS WHAT HAPPENED 

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: January 14, 2011, 12:46:44 PM »

So it turns out the new smoke alarm that my landlord had someone install goes off any time I use my oven.

As opposed to talking to the landlord, or closing the door between the kitchen and the smoke alarm, or opening it first to look for a battery, or switching it off at the wall?

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #1835 on: January 14, 2011, 01:01:48 PM »

As opposed to talking to the landlord, or closing the door between the kitchen and the smoke alarm, or opening it first to look for a battery, or switching it off at the wall?
It's wired into the ceiling, almost directly above the stove. There's no battery and no way to shut it off, and no door to close.
I went ahead and just bought a new one. I'll tell the landlord later.

The problem is that the one that was installed has an ionization sensor instead of a photoelectric sensor. Ionization sensor alarms aren't meant for kitchens, since their way way too sensitive when it comes to very quick bursts of heat (ie: an oven door opening, meat frying, toast popping up, kettle steam, etc).

Trust me, trying to cook something for ten minutes when I can only mute the alarm for one minute at a time got really old, really fast.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: January 14, 2011, 01:21:24 PM »

I can't possibly imagine why any firm alarm would need that many wires.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #1837 on: January 14, 2011, 01:27:11 PM »

Make sure its not also a carbon monoxide alarm. You don't want to play with that shit.

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #1838 on: January 14, 2011, 01:33:21 PM »

The one I bought is the best photoelectric sensor on the market. It should do just fine. Especially since I have yet to start a fire and I don't intend to break that record.

I'm SAFETY CONSCIOUS. :mahboi:

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: January 14, 2011, 05:56:37 PM »

turn the dangling one into a bitching disco ball with some dollar store mirrors
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 ... 173