Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 59

Author Topic: Movies in the Theater  (Read 100471 times)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Movies in the Theater
« Reply #860 on: September 29, 2011, 05:43:04 AM »

The problem with that comic is that you can use the same "joke" to trivialize war instead of sports. Or just about anything for that matter. To say nothing of the obvious D&D joke!

An overly-cerebral hypernerd (a physics one at that!) like Munroe ought to be well aware that the whole goddamned universe can be boiled down to a weighted random number generator. So really the strip is just more of a kneejerk RAH RAH HOW ABOUT THOSE JOCKS, GUYS *pushes glasses back up*

:tldr: Which is to say, don't worry about that particular comic panel. It's a crappy one.

Kashan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: September 29, 2011, 05:48:35 AM »

I don't give shit about baseball but I love statistical analysis in sports and Aaron Sorkin. Will I like this move?

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: September 29, 2011, 06:09:06 AM »

Nope. It's not originally Sorkin's script - I believe he re-wrote it - and the movie doesn't much sound like his work. As for statistics, they aren't really brought up - they're a bit of a prop, they only show up in montages and passing references.
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: September 29, 2011, 12:40:38 PM »

:tldr: Which is to say, don't worry about that particular comic panel. It's a crappy one.

every time someone shits all over randall munroe and angel gets its wings

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #864 on: September 30, 2011, 12:46:59 PM »

I always read that strip as making fun of sports commentators more than sports per se.

Don't really get the XKCD hate in Noro's linked post.  Yeah, it's a comic strip with an incredibly narrow target audience.  You want a comic strip with an incredibly BROAD target audience?  Go read Garfield.

Obvious false choices aside, I quite enjoy xkcd hammering the importance of understanding statistics.

And yes, I quite like reading the occasional strip that's so specifically tuned to my specialties that only the Dennis Miller Ratio would find it funny.

Norondor

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: September 30, 2011, 02:41:44 PM »

well, for my part, i didn't understand why i was bullied so much in school until i read XKCD, and now i feel it was justified.

Ocksi

• Guy on a buffalo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: October 01, 2011, 06:58:04 AM »

Yeah, I still never understand why people hate XKCD anymore than any other joke-based webcomic.  I can understand not liking it, but I can't understand running a blog for years explaining why a clever little joke shouldn't be funny to you.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: October 01, 2011, 09:27:37 AM »

I always read that strip as making fun of sports commentators more than sports per se.

THANK you.

How many of you even watch enough sports to say you can get this?  A few games and it'll be painfully clear to you what the issue is here.

"Jeter has had... more RBIs in this inning... than any other inning in the last... 4 months."

Meaning he hasn't batted in two runs since June.

"This is only the THIRD TIME that Moss has ran more than 700 yards in a game... in his career."

Moss has run more than 700 yards in this game.  He has done it twice before in however much time he's been playing.  Other people have done it before.

"Jordan is playing on a bad ankle."

Everyone's playing on a bad ankle.

It's not a random number generator, per se, but it's painfully clear that there's a very complex data sifter in there somewhere feeding these guys statistics that may or may not be interesting (probably not).  I've actually wanted to research it a little because the sheer amount of data the machine has to sort, and then find correlations between them without being given an explicit query (or given a vague one, i.e. "Tell me something about Drew Brees"), means there's a staggeringly complex AI somewhere in that multimillion dollar enterprise we call a commentator's box.  If SkyNet's going to be born somewhere, it'll be in the backroom of a football stadium, not on an air force base.

Da_Beerman

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: October 01, 2011, 02:35:05 PM »

Drive is quite a good movie that features actual driving stunts. Albert Brooks and Ron Perlman are great villains, it's a tad slow at times but never boring.

If SkyNet's going to be born somewhere, it'll be in the backroom of a football stadium, not on an air force base.

If I was a machine that does nothing but carry sports data and becomes sentient I can't say I'd not want the extinction of humanity.
XBL gamertag: bakedplayaslaya
Steam ID: Da_Beerman
Limits will be pushed

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #869 on: October 01, 2011, 02:48:29 PM »

I liked Drive but almost everyone who came to see it at my theatre that I didn't personally know (most of my friends are into movies and knew what to expect therefor, like it) hated it. I had one guy tell me, word for word, "If i wanted to see an autistic guy drive a car for two hours I'd take a road trip with my cousin" and then demand his money back. As if it was my theatre's fault the movie was market incorrectly.

Norondor

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: October 01, 2011, 03:09:52 PM »

hey beerman let's be pals :)

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: October 01, 2011, 03:54:26 PM »

If I was a machine that does nothing but carry sports data and becomes sentient I can't say I'd not want the extinction of humanity.
But without humans, you'd have no sports to quantify!
...but is it art?

Da_Beerman

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: October 01, 2011, 04:03:57 PM »

well I guess animal Olympics run by sentient machines won't start themselves, all the sudden I'm imagining a version of "The running man" written by PETA.

I had one guy tell me, word for word, "If i wanted to see an autistic guy drive a car for two hours I'd take a road trip with my cousin"

Wonder what that guy thought of Rain Man

hey beerman let's be pals :)

sure, here's some free music pal
XBL gamertag: bakedplayaslaya
Steam ID: Da_Beerman
Limits will be pushed

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: October 01, 2011, 05:32:42 PM »

I liked Drive but almost everyone who came to see it at my theatre that I didn't personally know (most of my friends are into movies and knew what to expect therefor, like it) hated it. I had one guy tell me, word for word, "If i wanted to see an autistic guy drive a car for two hours I'd take a road trip with my cousin" and then demand his money back. As if it was my theatre's fault the movie was market incorrectly.

What did they think it was marketed as? Because everything I saw was basically CAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRR CHAAAAAASEEEE MOVIE! PREPARE TO MAKE VROOMING NOISES!

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #874 on: October 01, 2011, 05:37:11 PM »

They expected to see Transporter 4.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: October 01, 2011, 05:43:20 PM »

:ouroldrolleyessmiley:

Norondor

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: October 01, 2011, 07:06:59 PM »

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: October 02, 2011, 07:50:08 PM »

Oh, Drive was fantastic. It was very deliberate, but I really liked that.

Great lighting, too. I don't usually notice lighting, but I really liked it in Drive.

Is it just me, or does the movie have a sort of timeless quality to it? The only real clue to when it was set was the size of the cellphones; otherwise, between the soundtrack, the Dirty Dancing-style hot pink cursive title, and then generally unaging L.A. sprawlscape, it could have been set any time in the past 25 years.
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: October 03, 2011, 11:47:56 AM »

Yeah, I still never understand why people hate XKCD anymore than any other joke-based webcomic.  I can understand not liking it, but I can't understand running a blog for years explaining why a clever little joke shouldn't be funny to you.

Well-founded comic strip hate usually comes from the inability of the author to keep weird personal issues from being expressed in the comic. 

Either that, or just not having any jokes.

Or both.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: October 03, 2011, 04:19:31 PM »

Again, although, often, jokes are made through an clever observation that either subverts expectations or demonstrates the conflict between expectations I'm always surprised when people expect XKCD to have jokes.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 59